Scheduling issues....any opinions? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Scheduling issues....any opinions?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Scheduling issues....any opinions?

Postby Bferryvt » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:30 am

In my 12-team H2H money league, I'm noticing some scheduling issues. I worked up a spreadsheet and found several teams play each other four times, some teams never play each other, some teams play each other two weeks back to back....do I need to leave this alone at this point? Or should I make the changes necessary to make sure everyone plays everyone, and play each other 1-3 times, rather than 0-4 times? I feel like leaving it as is creates a big issue with strength of schedule, but changing it...it should have been done before the season started and I didn't catch it. Any thoughts on this?
Bferryvt
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Scheduling issues....any opinions?

Postby oleredb » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:26 pm

This is a great opportunity for a league poll, so let the owners decide.

In a traditional h2h 12 team league with a 22 week regular season every team should play every other team exactly 2 times. Then have a playoff.
oleredb
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Bferryvt » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:01 pm

Thanks, yeah we have 21 weeks and a two week championship matchup, so it's not QUITE two matchups-per. Vote is probably the best way to go, and then the disgusting process of matching everyone up evenly...
Bferryvt
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigmck » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:20 pm

If you decide to change your schedule, try this site. It makes good schdules for you.
http://schedules.footballguys.com/
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby Pochucker » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:37 am

Probably to late now but keep this in mind for next yr --its perfect for 12t h2h leagues.

Two divsions of 6tm each first yr you draw for div after that you create winner and loser div. Top three teams from each div for one bottom three the other. Guarantees 3 new teams in playoff each yr keeps interest up.

Have 21 week reg schedule each team plays teams in its own division 3times other division once --that guarantees you never need to get to funky tiebreakers.

1st rd Playoffs are one week for 2nd and 3rd teams in each div reg season div winners get bye
2nd rd playoffs are two weeks --reg season div winners against 1st rd winners
3rd rd is two wks surviving winners against each other and 2nd rd winners face off foir overall 3rd 4th place
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Fantasy Judgment » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:07 pm

While I typically do not favor making structural changes to a league after the season has started, this is one instance where I think it makes perfect sense to do it. The fact that some teams will not play each other during the season is reason enough to alter the schedule. Not having all teams face each other at least once does more to undermine the integrity and balance of the league than modifying the schedule. Additionally, the season is only in its 3rd week right now. Changing the schedule after this point will not have any detrimental effect on anyone.

I am also against going to the league members for a vote on this issue because there will unlikely be a consensus and having differing opinions will only complicate matters. This is an easy fix and should be handled directly by the Commissioner. If you make the decision and back it up with arguments such as the ones I gave, then your league members will have to accept it. It will make the situation less of a logistical and political nightmare for you.

If you don't have one already, I would recommend you draft a constitution for your league outlining all rules and guidelines, as well as providing a process for dealing with issues of first impression not delineated in the constitution. If you need any assistance or advice doing this, please feel free to contact me at michael.stein@fantasyjudgment.com.
Fantasy Judgment
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Commissioner's Corner