Rules about the pick off move... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rules about the pick off move...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rules about the pick off move...

Postby Zito is God » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:59 pm

Ok, so you know how sometimes managers panic because they didnt warm up the bullpen and all of a sudden their starter gets hit hard and they need him to stay in to let the relievers warm up. WHy not just have the current pitcher throw over to first to "pick off" the runner about 20 times while the reliever warms up? Is there any rule against this? I have seen pitchers throw over 7 or 8 times per at bat so it seems to be fine, so why dont managers do this?

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rules about the pick off move...

Postby Merlin401 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:04 pm

Zito is God wrote:Ok, so you know how sometimes managers panic because they didnt warm up the bullpen and all of a sudden their starter gets hit hard and they need him to stay in to let the relievers warm up. WHy not just have the current pitcher throw over to first to "pick off" the runner about 20 times while the reliever warms up? Is there any rule against this? I have seen pitchers throw over 7 or 8 times per at bat so it seems to be fine, so why dont managers do this?

Because they have no trouble stalling as it is... and because everytime you throw over you risk throwing the ball away.
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigken117 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:07 pm

the Yankees did this the second game of the season and even though Youk complained about it they umps didn't do anything.

Marte was warming up and Youk singled to lead off the inning but they didn't think he was ready yet so Robertson threw 1-3 pickoffs at first even though he wasn't going anywhere.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby thedude » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:22 pm

This is one of the numerous ways teams stall. Much more common is a long pointless visit by the pitching coach. Then a series of long visits by the catcher.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:55 pm

thedude wrote:This is one of the numerous ways teams stall. Much more common is a long pointless visit by the pitching coach. Then a series of long visits by the catcher.

Exactly. And these ways of stalling are a heck of a lot easier to justify than 20 throws over to 1B. Besides, if this ever got out of control it wouldn't take long for a rule to be put in place to prevent it. Whereas you can't get rid of pitcher visits.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:57 pm

They might not do it 20 times without throwing a pitch, but teams use phony pickoff attempts to get their bullpen more time to warm up all the time. I actually remember seeing someone throw to first at least five times 'trying' to pickoff Cecil Fielder, who wasn't even taking a lead. For some reason I think it may have been a Larussa-coached A's team, but I'm not sure.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kweiss » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:30 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:
thedude wrote:This is one of the numerous ways teams stall. Much more common is a long pointless visit by the pitching coach. Then a series of long visits by the catcher.

Exactly. And these ways of stalling are a heck of a lot easier to justify than 20 throws over to 1B. Besides, if this ever got out of control it wouldn't take long for a rule to be put in place to prevent it. Whereas you can't get rid of pitcher visits.

Rule against a pickoff move? Like a limit? That would be a delicate issue... "He's already thrown over 3 times, he's not allowed to anymore. I'm stealing, free base!!!"
kweiss
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:34 pm

kweiss wrote:

Rule against a pickoff move? Like a limit? That would be a delicate issue... "He's already thrown over 3 times, he's not allowed to anymore. I'm stealing, free base!!!"

That's true. Somehow this slipped my mind. I still think it could be controlled in some way if it ever got too far out of hand though.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Tavish » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:46 pm

kweiss wrote:Rule against a pickoff move? Like a limit? That would be a delicate issue... "He's already thrown over 3 times, he's not allowed to anymore. I'm stealing, free base!!!"

That's true. Somehow this slipped my mind. I still think it could be controlled in some way if it ever got too far out of hand though.

There is a basic rule in place where if a pitcher is deliberately stalling a game the umps can force him to be removed. It would take something extremely blatant and widespread in order for the umps to enforce it though. It's not like it really takes a reliever all that long to warm up anyways. Like has already been mentioned, a visit by the catcher then a pitching coach then the manager is plenty of time to get a guy loose.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:10 am

Tavish wrote:
kweiss wrote:Rule against a pickoff move? Like a limit? That would be a delicate issue... "He's already thrown over 3 times, he's not allowed to anymore. I'm stealing, free base!!!"

There is a basic rule in place where if a pitcher is deliberately stalling a game the umps can force him to be removed. It would take something extremely blatant and widespread in order for the umps to enforce it though. It's not like it really takes a reliever all that long to warm up anyways. Like has already been mentioned, a visit by the catcher then a pitching coach then the manager is plenty of time to get a guy loose.

Yeah I thought I recall a rule sort of similar to a shot clock in basketball. If the pitcher doesn't pitch in 15 seconds action can be taken by the umps. Not exactly sure on the whole rule but I know there's something to that extent.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers