Person of interest - Carlos Ruiz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Person of interest - Carlos Ruiz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Person of interest - Carlos Ruiz

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Ruiz is the catcher in that awesome Phillies line up.
He has excellent plate discipline and sneaky doubles power.
If you lose your first choice (like Montero) he is worth a look.

Also.......

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7757/news;_ylt=AmRG4ZeudVJhsk6JdrILGgeFCLcF

Apr 6 C Carlos Ruiz enjoyed a productive season debut against the Nationals on Monday. Ruiz, the only member of the Phillies' batting order who hasn't played in an All-Star Game, was 1-for-2 with three walks.Ruiz was also in sync with new ace Roy Halladay, calling a game from behind the plate that saw the former Cy Young award winner never shake off his new catcher.

High praise. ;-)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Person of interest - Carlos Ruiz

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:15 pm

AussieDodger wrote:Ruiz is the catcher in that awesome Phillies line up.
He has excellent plate discipline and sneaky doubles power.
If you lose your first choice (like Montero) he is worth a look.

Also.......

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7757/news;_ylt=AmRG4ZeudVJhsk6JdrILGgeFCLcF

Apr 6 C Carlos Ruiz enjoyed a productive season debut against the Nationals on Monday. Ruiz, the only member of the Phillies' batting order who hasn't played in an All-Star Game, was 1-for-2 with three walks.Ruiz was also in sync with new ace Roy Halladay, calling a game from behind the plate that saw the former Cy Young award winner never shake off his new catcher.

High praise. ;-)

he actually didnt call him off once in the first TWO starts from what i've heard.

i dont know about fantasy relevance though. maybe if you're in a deep league, but im sure there are better options available.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby bigken117 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:42 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:maybe if you're in a deep league, but im sure there are better options available.

not if you drafted Mike Napoli :-/

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 254)

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:58 pm

In a 2 C league, he is very fantasy relevant.

FWIW, Ron Shandler likes him a lot. Puts his upside at 20-280. I don't think he quite gets there, but at worst he won't hurt you and at best I think he could finish just outside the top 5.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:25 pm

Inukchuk wrote:In a 2 C league, he is very fantasy relevant.

FWIW, Ron Shandler likes him a lot. Puts his upside at 20-280. I don't think he quite gets there, but at worst he won't hurt you and at best I think he could finish just outside the top 5.

i dont see this and i generally only see people outside of philadelphia giving him this much potential. i dont think he ever hits 20 hr and i dont think many people realize he's already 31.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WickedSmaat » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:26 am

Or maybe Halladay is just that good to throw any pitch any time it doesn't matter what number is put down :-?
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DbacksRback » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:39 am

Snakes Gould wrote:

i dont see this and i generally only see people outside of philadelphia giving him this much potential. i dont think he ever hits 20 hr and i dont think many people realize he's already 31.

I agree Im from philly and watch almost every game. It would be an amazing season by ruiz IMO if he goes .280 with 10 HR considering his play behind the plate

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:04 am

DbacksRback wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:

I agree Im from philly and watch almost every game. It would be an amazing season by ruiz IMO if he goes .280 with 10 HR considering his play behind the plate

Hm. After taking a closer look at his career numbers, you guys make a good point. Apparently, I do have him a bit high. Of course, he did hit 9 HR last year in 322AB. With 450 or so, I could see him somewhere between 10 and 15. As DBacks mentioned however, he needs to keep his defense at a level that gets him that many ABs...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:21 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
DbacksRback wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:

Hm. After taking a closer look at his career numbers, you guys make a good point. Apparently, I do have him a bit high. Of course, he did hit 9 HR last year in 322AB. With 450 or so, I could see him somewhere between 10 and 15. As DBacks mentioned however, he needs to keep his defense at a level that gets him that many ABs...

his D is actually pretty good. I'm not sure why he only got 322 AB for the Phils last year... I'm thinking he got PH for a lot late in games last year, plus Coste was thought to be about as good as Ruiz at the dish. Me thinks Ruiz might gets 450 PA this year barring injury.

Is .270/15/60/60 unreasonable?
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:58 am

he was hurt down the stretch with a bad wrist. paul bako got the starts, not coste.

one of the "big additions" by the phillies this year was adding brian schneider. manuel said it was big because he viewed him as a 2nd starting catcher and really wanted to keep ruiz fresh for the playoffs. we'll see if manuel keeps his word but its possible he wont. ruiz has started 8 out of the 10 games so far. but when you get to those dog days of summer with some day games, schneider will get some starts.

.280 15 hr is very optimistic to me. .270 12 hr seems to be ok, with a fairly good OBP.

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers