Joba Chamberlain's fantasy value? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joba Chamberlain's fantasy value?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joba Chamberlain's fantasy value?

Postby threelions » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:47 pm

worth a roster spot?
I'm in a fairly deep 16-team league, standard 5x5, no hold.
12-team h2h 5X5 non-keeper
J.Montero,Pujols,Craig,Plouffe,Middlebrooks,TROUT,Gordon,Ethier,Butler
KingFelix,Cain,Price,McCarthy,Lewis,Hansen
Myers,Nathan,Casilla,Romo
threelions
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Joba Chamberlain's fantasy value?

Postby CharlatanSin » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Well, if you want to hold him based on the possibility he might go back the rotation, don't. They're not going to stretch him out this year, unless there's a catastrophic string of injuries. If you want a MR that'll shore up your ratios and chip in some Ks, you can't do much better than Joba. He's been electric so far this year. Though I think using MRs in 5x5 works better if you pair them, so look into Matt Thornton or somebody like that as well.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby neoforce » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:04 pm

Maybe this post would better be suited in the closers thread? Right now, no one has the 8th inning role yet. Joba is the favorite, but not his yet. That may change in a few weeks.

For now, my guess is that if Mo goes down, the Yankees go to closer by committee to see who emerges.

If Mo doesn't go down, Joba has only value as a pretty typical low ERA, high K, higher WHIP relief pitcher.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby threelions » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:18 pm

Do you guys think he would have a favorable ERA as a setup guy?
i mean, When he's in trouble, will they bring in Mo to clean up the mess in the 8th inning?
12-team h2h 5X5 non-keeper
J.Montero,Pujols,Craig,Plouffe,Middlebrooks,TROUT,Gordon,Ethier,Butler
KingFelix,Cain,Price,McCarthy,Lewis,Hansen
Myers,Nathan,Casilla,Romo
threelions
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby neoforce » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:20 pm

threelions wrote:Do you guys think he would have a favorable ERA as a setup guy?
i mean, When he's in trouble, will they bring in Mo to clean up the mess in the 8th inning?

It will be very rare to see Mo in the 8th inning. Last year they were very protective of him, except for really important games or, of course, the post season.

I think as a reliever, Joba will have good ERA, good Ks, but a slightly elevated WHIP from other good MR guys. Guys with plate discipline tend to lay off his slider for balls, so I think he will walk more than he should. But since he will be a full time in the pen, he could develop more.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby shawngee03 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:01 am

if you are in this type of league...he is the MVP. he actually went in round 16 in a league im in w these settings..and a few of us were pissed bc we were about to get him

holds and saves....and only 4 RP spots w no P spots. its always a battle to try and win saves and holds....so SP, RP guys are gold. joba is probably the best SP, RP guy ever...so he is a hot commodity in that type of league
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guzman24 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:44 am

CharlatanSin wrote:Well, if you want to hold him based on the possibility he might go back the rotation, don't. They're not going to stretch him out this year, unless there's a catastrophic string of injuries. If you want a MR that'll shore up your ratios and chip in some Ks, you can't do much better than Joba. He's been electric so far this year. Though I think using MRs in 5x5 works better if you pair them, so look into Matt Thornton or somebody like that as well.

Electric?

W-L 0-0 ERA 4.50 K 4 Walks 2 WHIP 1.75
This over 4 innings.
Looks pretty meh to me :-/
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CharlatanSin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:19 pm

Guzman24 wrote:
CharlatanSin wrote:Well, if you want to hold him based on the possibility he might go back the rotation, don't. They're not going to stretch him out this year, unless there's a catastrophic string of injuries. If you want a MR that'll shore up your ratios and chip in some Ks, you can't do much better than Joba. He's been electric so far this year. Though I think using MRs in 5x5 works better if you pair them, so look into Matt Thornton or somebody like that as well.

Electric?

This over 4 innings.

What I meant was that his stuff is there. His fastball's riding and his slider's back. He's had two great outings and two mediocre ones so far (even the two where he gave up runs weren't that bad -- Boston nickle and dimed him and he gave up one hard hit ball to Crawford in Tampa), but watching him, I'm not worried.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guzman24 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:21 pm

CharlatanSin wrote:
Guzman24 wrote:

Electric?

This over 4 innings.

What I meant was that his stuff is there. His fastball's riding and his slider's back. He's had two great outings and two mediocre ones so far (even the two where he gave up runs weren't that bad -- Boston nickle and dimed him and he gave up one hard hit ball to Crawford in Tampa), but watching him, I'm not worried.

;-D no denying Joba's stuff. He'll get it all together one of these days.
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MTUCache » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:25 pm

Guzman24 wrote:Electric?

This over 4 innings.

Seriously? A sample size of 4 innings? That's statistical analysis there!

Last Friday Pujols went 0/3... was he looking pretty "meh" to you?
:-S

I'm really liking the idea of rostering Joba right now, almost solely because of the league-settings issue mentioned above, but I'm spending most of my time right now fighting with my roster spots to find room for all these "temporary closers" on the market. :p
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers