Condolences to David Ortiz's career - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Condolences to David Ortiz's career

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Condolences to David Ortiz's career

Postby thedude » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:22 am

kab21 wrote:While he's definitely the same player he once was, he's typically had big April/May/ROS splits.

Career
April - .828
May - .856
June - .978
July - 1.049
August - .972
September - 1.031

April - .623
May - .520
June - 1.062
July - .845
August - .833
September - .911

I doubt they give him 2 months to figure things out this year. He is a free agent at the end of the year, and there are several guys who on the bench who could serve as replacements.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:46 am

kidsafe wrote:He still has value for the Red Sox

not sure I see it :-?
If anything he's a nightmare for them because he's so popular and done so much and capable of doing so much more it makes it that much harder to bench him.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:58 am

bigken117 wrote:
kidsafe wrote:He still has value for the Red Sox

not sure I see it :-?
If anything he's a nightmare for them because he's so popular and done so much and capable of doing so much more it makes it that much harder to bench him.

This.

It's been painful to watch him swing and miss so badly...he's frustrated with himself, the fans and the media. He's doing nothing to help the team right now but it will be hard to take him out of the lineup because of the possibility of him hitting his way out of this slump like he did last year. People still think he's capable of being the Papi of old, but those days are done.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby k.k. » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:02 am

Christ almighty! Big Puppy was done last year already. Why anyone would bother with him in fantasy is beyond me. It's only a matter of time this season before the BoSox have to call it a day. Lowell is already starting at DH tomorrow. If he hits well, and he can (not saying much past that though because I think he's done too), we might have already seen the beginning of the end. Officially.
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:41 am

k.k. wrote:Christ almighty! Big Puppy was done last year already. Why anyone would bother with him in fantasy is beyond me. It's only a matter of time this season before the BoSox have to call it a day. Lowell is already starting at DH tomorrow. If he hits well, and he can (not saying much past that though because I think he's done too), we might have already seen the beginning of the end. Officially.

I wouldn't say he was done last year when he had 28 HR and 81 RBI after June 1st. He sucked terribly in April and May, but he was definitely productive through the second half. Having said that, he just looks terrible right now....putting Lowell in there is the right move and we'll have to see where this goes.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers