Not feeling well? Take a Placido - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Not feeling well? Take a Placido

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Not feeling well? Take a Placido

Postby joejlitz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:56 pm

How about that Placido Polanco?!?!?

The Phils brought him in to replace the weak hitting Pedro Feliz and this career .304 hitter is slapping it around at a .484 pace right now with 10 RBIs on a potent Phillies lineup. It's WAY early, but he leads the majors with 15 hits and 10 runs (Incidentally, how great is Ruben Amaro, Jr.?)

I'm not a fantasy baseball player, but I imagine whoever picked him up is going to end up with great value at the end of the year, with all of the big bats that he hits around.

Tidbit: I might misremember, but he actually kept Chase Utley from becoming an every day player in 2004 when he hit .298. Then, in 2005 they moved him to 3rd base, opening the way for Utley to play every day and knocking David Bell out of a job.
Last edited by joejlitz on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joejlitz
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Not feeling well? Take a Placido

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:59 pm

He's solid, but anybody who is surrounded by Rollins, Utley, Werth, Howard and Ibanez would yield good value fantasy wise. Look how much Victorino's fantasy stock has fallen now that he's hitting at the bottom of the order.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:43 pm

granted he went from a pitchers park to a bandbox but he doesnt have the power or speed to be that exciting of a fantasy option at 2B...
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:33 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:granted he went from a pitchers park to a bandbox but he doesnt have the power or speed to be that exciting of a fantasy option at 2B...

a .300 hitter with average power at 3B isn't attractive in fantasy? Oy! He could end up with 100 RBI. He's got 10 right now. Over his career he has averaged around 50/55. I would think he was drafted pretty low among 3B (though I really don't know). Isn't that damn good value?

Yo Gabba Gabba!
joejlitz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby da bears » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:38 pm

plays two shallow positions on yahoo and hitting in front of those guys, sign me up may not provide power/speed but everything else is there at the least a great util bench guy to have around.
da bears
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:05 pm

He's more like a band-aid than a Prozac.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:08 pm

joejlitz wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:granted he went from a pitchers park to a bandbox but he doesnt have the power or speed to be that exciting of a fantasy option at 2B...

a .300 hitter with average power at 3B isn't attractive in fantasy? Oy! He could end up with 100 RBI. He's got 10 right now. Over his career he has averaged around 50/55. I would think he was drafted pretty low among 3B (though I really don't know). Isn't that damn good value?

Yo Gabba Gabba!
He's OK but nothing to really get excited about. He won't hit for much power or steal much. His value comes from the lineup and the fact he can hit .300. BTW - I'd be willing to take a bet he doesn't end up with 100 RBI.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby memito » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:25 pm

I "punted" 2B and ended up targeting Placido in the 15th round (of a 26 rounder).

I am expecting him to have nearly 100 Rs... wasn't counting on this early RBI explosion, but could see him with 60 or so year end.

I drafted him for his Avg, R and some 2Bs... anything else is extra.
memito
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:27 pm

Usually after I wake up from a long night of binge drinking the first thing I do is take a Placido. I call it the beer Placido.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby joejlitz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
joejlitz wrote:

Yo Gabba Gabba!
He's OK but nothing to really get excited about. He won't hit for much power or steal much. His value comes from the lineup and the fact he can hit .300. BTW - I'd be willing to take a bet he doesn't end up with 100 RBI.

OK. How about a sig bet. If he does it, you have to have a sig that says something like, "I lost a bet and didn't believe that Polanco could hit 100 RBI!" If he doesn't, I'll have to have a sig that says the opposite. Or something funnier. You in????
joejlitz
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers