Desmond vs Escobar - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Desmond vs Escobar

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Desmond vs Escobar

Postby rib217 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Both Desmond and Escobar came into the season with a nice "sleeper"/late round pick status. Both were rumored at one point to possibly land a 2nd in the lineup job as well.

1 week in and both have instead landed a 8th in the lineup gig and neither have shown any real reason as of yet to move them up. Who is your pick to have a better year?

I'm leaning more towards Escobar with possibly a better average and a little more speed, also he does have a pretty firm grip on his job i would think.
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Desmond vs Escobar

Postby dmattingly23 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:41 pm

I'd rather have Escobar, I really like Desmond. But he is brutal on D. He needs to be moved to a new position. And he strikes out way too much now.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Niffoc4 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:30 pm

dmattingly23 wrote:I'd rather have Escobar, I really like Desmond. But he is brutal on D. He needs to be moved to a new position. And he strikes out way too much now.
I agree that Escobar is definitely the guy to have in real life, but since defense doesn't count in fantasy the gap is much closer.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby dmattingly23 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:15 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:
dmattingly23 wrote:I'd rather have Escobar, I really like Desmond. But he is brutal on D. He needs to be moved to a new position. And he strikes out way too much now.
I agree that Escobar is definitely the guy to have in real life, but since defense doesn't count in fantasy the gap is much closer.

I just think his D is so bad that they're not going to be able to keep him in the lineup.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j24jags » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:27 am

Escobar has 35 SB potential which means he can be a plus contributor in one category. Desmond in all likelihood will not be a major contributor to any cat (meaning he won't top 75/15/75/15/.290) so I'd take Escobar.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jackie hayes » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:36 am

j24jags wrote:Escobar has 35 SB potential which means he can be a plus contributor in one category. Desmond in all likelihood will not be a major contributor to any cat (meaning he won't top 75/15/75/15/.290) so I'd take Escobar.

I'd take Escobar because of the job security, but as little as the Brewers ran last year, I'm not sure that 35 sb is very likely. I mean, he certainly has the ability to do that, but I don't know that he'll get the opportunity.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby kab21 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:46 am

j24jags wrote:Escobar has 35 SB potential which means he can be a plus contributor in one category. Desmond in all likelihood will not be a major contributor to any cat (meaning he won't top 75/15/75/15/.290) so I'd take Escobar.

On the other hand Escobar might only get 5HR/50 RBI's so even though he does better in SB's it comes at a price in other cats. I do think both players are intriguing however my concern is that either one of them could make a poor transition to the majors. And post a .260 or .270 BA. Escobar then becomes a 1.5 category player then. Desmond is less interesting also.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Return to Baseball Leftovers