100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Venable ...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Will Venable ...

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:26 pm

ayebatter wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:
ayebatter wrote:Has a little pop, has a little speed, doesn't have a full time job - 350 at bats 10/8/.260

What? He has RF locked up.

A guy that hits .250/.260 never has anything locked up, with Gwynn / S.Hairston / Venable sharing 2 outfield spots,and you're expecting anything more than 350-400 at bats a piece right now you're dreaming.

Gwynn is in center and Hairston is garbage.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Maris09 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:27 pm

Cobra_Kai wrote:
Maris09 wrote:
ayebatter wrote:Then factor in that Gonzo is GONE at some point this year.....

I wouldn't count those chickens before they've hatched. First, Gonzalez has made some noise about staying in SD, and expressed his willingness to take deferred money from the Padres. Second, the Padres have to know that they'll get better trade value for Gonzo after this season. Right now, the Sox have the 1B and 3B spots locked up (this is assuming the Sox are the most likely destination). They're not going to give up the farm to then have to either play Gonzalez at DH or to bench Beltre. However, suppose the Red Sox experiment in "defense first" blows up in their faces this year, they miss the playoffs, NYY does well, etc. You think they won't trade off some big prospects for Gonzo in the offseason? I think that's much more likely, IMO. Add to that the fact that they'll have Ortiz, Beltre, and Lowell all with expiring contracts, which would leave the door open for them to sign Gonzalez to a nice extension.

If the Red Sox are still the most likely destination (as most seem to agree they are), then I don't think it's an automatic that Gonzo is traded this summer. I think the winter is much more likely.

I think just the opposite has been shown.
You can get much more for a player if he's got 1+ years left, rather than just 1 remaining.
He's worth much more if he can help you through 2 playoff pushes rather than just 1.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 30)

Postby thedude » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:05 pm

Maris09 wrote:
Cobra_Kai wrote:
Maris09 wrote:Then factor in that Gonzo is GONE at some point this year.....

I wouldn't count those chickens before they've hatched. First, Gonzalez has made some noise about staying in SD, and expressed his willingness to take deferred money from the Padres. Second, the Padres have to know that they'll get better trade value for Gonzo after this season. Right now, the Sox have the 1B and 3B spots locked up (this is assuming the Sox are the most likely destination). They're not going to give up the farm to then have to either play Gonzalez at DH or to bench Beltre. However, suppose the Red Sox experiment in "defense first" blows up in their faces this year, they miss the playoffs, NYY does well, etc. You think they won't trade off some big prospects for Gonzo in the offseason? I think that's much more likely, IMO. Add to that the fact that they'll have Ortiz, Beltre, and Lowell all with expiring contracts, which would leave the door open for them to sign Gonzalez to a nice extension.

If the Red Sox are still the most likely destination (as most seem to agree they are), then I don't think it's an automatic that Gonzo is traded this summer. I think the winter is much more likely.

I think just the opposite has been shown.
You can get much more for a player if he's got 1+ years left, rather than just 1 remaining.
He's worth much more if he can help you through 2 playoff pushes rather than just 1.

Maybe. But the Red Sox have a lot of internal determinations to make before they trade for any. First, is there life in Ortiz's bat (early results point to no)? Second, is Mike Lowell the answer (he has only played one game this season so far)? Third, are there some other internal options that will require playing time (Hermida is absolutely crushing the ball right now, and the Red Sox have a decent prospect in Josh Reddick)?
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Padsin05 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:45 pm

just to clarify, Venable and Blanks are the starters, there is no platoon with them, Hairston and Gwynn platoon, and Hairston will also be used to give Blanks and Venable days off.

Blanks and Venable will both get over 500 abs
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 35)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:06 pm

I added Venable yesterday over Conor Jackson, because I like Venable's upside. I know he doesn't have a walk this year and he'll probably hit .260 but even if he does what he should do with full playing time, it'll be like getting McLouth when he had his mini-breakout year a couple of years ago. If I just see 20 homers and 15 steals, it will have been worth it, even if he doesn't go north of .260.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers