Thoughts on Casey McGehee? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Casey McGehee?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Casey McGehee?

Postby Tony Micelli » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:31 am

He had a great 2nd half of the year, last year, hitting 301, 16, hr's ... and so far this very young season, he's hit 2 hr's to go along with a 340- ish average.

What is the cafe's thoughts about this guy? I have to admit, I was/am skeptical, as he has not produced very good minor league numbers, and I'm sure Mil management is looking for a way to get Matt Gamel in the lineup once he's healthy.

With that being said, he has been hitting 5th, behind Braun and Fielder and so far he seems to be making the most of his opportunities.

So, cafe ... what do you think about McGehee? Is this guy for real?
Remember me?

Who's the Boss?

Oh Yeah ...
Tony Micelli
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on Casey McGehee?

Postby kab21 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:42 am

Tony Micelli wrote:He had a great 2nd half of the year, last year, hitting 301, 16, hr's ... and so far this very young season, he's hit 2 hr's to go along with a 340- ish average.

What is the cafe's thoughts about this guy? I have to admit, I was/am skeptical, as he has not produced very good minor league numbers, and I'm sure Mil management is looking for a way to get Matt Gamel in the lineup once he's healthy.

With that being said, he has been hitting 5th, behind Braun and Fielder and so far he seems to be making the most of his opportunities.

Upside = Derosa (a nice player to have but doesn't really do anything for fantasy other than crazy position eligibility)
Downside = AAAA player
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Postby Scooter1027 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:02 am

Upside = Derosa (a nice player to have but doesn't really do anything for fantasy other than crazy position eligibility)

I dunno, I disagree that his upside "doesn't do anything for fantasy". He's 2B eligible, so there's clearly value in a potential .300 hitter with 20 HR/80+ RBI upside at an MI position. No speed, but the upside to make positive contributions in 4 of 5 categories at 2 shallower positions (2B, 3B).

That said, I'm only talking upside there...I'm not sold on McGehee just yet. I just can't get past his minor league numbers, he never hit like this in the minors. How does a guy just flip a switch once he's facing big league pitching? Some guys are late bloomers, no doubt, the odds just seem to be against him. I will say he's got a sweet swing, I like watching him hit.

As far as Gamel....Mat has a long way to go still. After a rough '09, he is on the DL so far this year. Plus, more than just a few scouts are pretty well convinced he'll never stick at 3B...he might actually have more of a future at 1B or RF. As of now, it's definitely Casey's job to lose at 3B.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby daydreamset » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:01 am

I made a move on McGehee last night after watching the Cards/Brewers game. I had been tracking him for several days before that.

My (short-term) strategy behind this move: #1 I dropped Casey Blake to get him. Seems like Blake's gonna miss 2 out of every 7 games anyway. #2 Like Blake, I don't plan on starting McGehee just yet. I have Weeks at 2B and Figgins at 3B. Weeks is solid thus far and Figgins is struggling. If Figgins continues to struggle, McGehee will eventually replace him in my line-up. If Weeks gets hurt again, Figgins will replace him and McGehee will take 3B.

Good strategy? What do you think?
daydreamset
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kab21 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:56 am

Scooter1027 wrote:

I dunno, I disagree that his upside "doesn't do anything for fantasy". He's 2B eligible, so there's clearly value in a potential .300 hitter with 20 HR/80+ RBI upside at an MI position. No speed, but the upside to make positive contributions in 4 of 5 categories at 2 shallower positions (2B, 3B).

That said, I'm only talking upside there...I'm not sold on McGehee just yet. I just can't get past his minor league numbers, he never hit like this in the minors. How does a guy just flip a switch once he's facing big league pitching? Some guys are late bloomers, no doubt, the odds just seem to be against him. I will say he's got a sweet swing, I like watching him hit.

As far as Gamel....Mat has a long way to go still. After a rough '09, he is on the DL so far this year. Plus, more than just a few scouts are pretty well convinced he'll never stick at 3B...he might actually have more of a future at 1B or RF. As of now, it's definitely Casey's job to lose at 3B.

I guess I'm skeptical that he'll be a .300 hitter with 20 Hr's. I see him around .280 and 15HR's. And I've always regarded Derosa as low-tier but startable 2B/3B.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Postby da_mane_man » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:02 am

i like him. a lot of people thought last year was a fluke or whatever, but i think he'll be servicable this season... at least until gamel comes up. he's hitting in a very nice spot in that lineup and he's got some power. you could do worse at 2B
da_mane_man
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Zito is God » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:29 pm

I doubt he is anything more than a Placido Polanco in his prime, but thats not necessarily bad.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:30 pm

kab21 wrote:
Tony Micelli wrote:He had a great 2nd half of the year, last year, hitting 301, 16, hr's ... and so far this very young season, he's hit 2 hr's to go along with a 340- ish average.

Downside = AAAA player

I think being a AAAA player is sort of harsh, even for his downside. I think at worst he's a backup infielder/ pinch hitter when Gamel takes his job.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:42 pm

It seems I'm in camp with most of you. He's the flavor of the month but won't be relevant come the ASB. Maybe I eat my words but I don't think so.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nerfherders » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:49 pm

He has more pop than Polanco. 20 HR is probably about right for him. I snagged him in my keeper league and he's filling in nicely for Kinsler ATM. I think he's good to have around on a bench slot and 2B/3B elig. is a pretty big boon.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers