Perennial Slow-Starters That are Slow-Starting - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Perennial Slow-Starters That are Slow-Starting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Perennial Slow-Starters That are Slow-Starting

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:01 am

bazzy_51 wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:
biesbol wrote:Verlander
Pedroia (but he's off to a nice start this year).

Dear Sir,
I kindly direct your attention to the title of this thread. It's conveniently located at the top of each post and at the top of the page itself.

Why no shaft for Wicked then after the Halladay post? You seem to post the ' Dear Sir, ' ignorance on everyone else that has posted a slow starter, normally, but off to a nice start this year. Look at Halladay since when is he a slow starter? Damn 2-0 with 17Ks this year, 2009- 4-1 32K, 2008- yeah only 2-4 but had 4 CG & 31Ks, 2007- 4-0 33Ks, 2006- 3-1 13Ks, 2005- 4-1 34Ks... Yeah I see where hes such a slow starter.

Heck even counting all the way back to 1998 when he was just coming up April really is one of his better months, 3rd best record, most Ks, 2nd most CG, 2nd best K:BB ratio. So I am really hoping this was a joke, but still no need to reply with arrogance to some and not all, Dear Sir.

Dear Wicked: here is your shaft. Sorry to leave you out of the shafting. You clearly deserve one as Bazzy has said.

I thought this thread was about slow starters that ARE slow starting, which is useful. Posting perennial slow-starters that are fast starting or average starting doesn't seem inline with the topic.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby da_mane_man » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:08 am

hunter pence is killing me too. idk if he's a perennial slow starter, but i'm betting that it won't last.

i really want to get tex but everyone knows the deal and i don't think his owners are ready to panic yet. same with prince

on another note though, what's up with nolasco? i thought he was back...
da_mane_man
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby thedude » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:26 am

pmstick wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:
pmstick wrote:...besides my Jon Lester SP anyone know some guys that don't have great Aprils that I may try and go after this time of year?

As a Lester owning noob, I'd love for you to expand on his perennial slow start reputation. How slow and for how long are you expecting?

On WEEI today I heard he's like 5-8 in Apr-May and 32-8 from then on.

I don't know if you can say Lester is "perennial slow starter," when in his first two full seasons as a starter he has had two different outcomes in April & May. I would not say two bad starts in 2010 and a bad April and May in 2009 is can be called "perennial"

2008:
April 35.2 ip 3.79 era
May 36.1 ip 2.97 era

2009:
April 30 ip 5.40 era
May 35.1 ip 5,86 era
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby The Mighty Trow » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:40 am

da_mane_man wrote:on another note though, what's up with nolasco? i thought he was back...

Good call on Nolasco. I had to look at his splits to see if he is indeed a slow starter. Since 2006, his April and May numbers have been awful - ERA over 5.65 and WHIP over 1.51, BAA over .290. Not cool.

Also I think Its not so much that he's back, but that he never left... the smoke and mirrors of sabremetrics if you will :-b Word is the ump last night gave him and Cueto an inconsistent strike zone.. if you dont know where the edges are, you're more likely to leave one hanging over the plate and give up the long ball. Not really worried about Nolasco, but he's definitely not living up to his preseason "buy!" status so far.
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:41 am

da_mane_man wrote:hunter pence is killing me too. idk if he's a perennial slow starter, but i'm betting that it won't last.

i really want to get tex but everyone knows the deal and i don't think his owners are ready to panic yet. same with prince

on another note though, what's up with nolasco? i thought he was back...

The whole Houston team is playing terrible right now, not surprising Pence is apart of it.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby da_mane_man » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:54 am

lol the thing that sucks is that all these slow starters and potential buy low candidates seem to be on my teams. :-t
da_mane_man
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mkultra » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:57 am

Havok1517 wrote:Also, there is that belief that latin players, especially pitchers, don't get going until the temp goes up.

Please tell me you're making a joke, because that's just some ignorant garbage there.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 50)

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:06 pm

mkultra wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Also, there is that belief that latin players, especially pitchers, don't get going until the temp goes up.

Please tell me you're making a joke, because that's just some ignorant garbage there.

Alright, so devil's advocate here. Latin countries are general considered to have warm/humid climates. We can agree on that. Now my analogy. The Miami Dolphins are my favorite football team. It's widely known that they play better in warm/hot weather than in the cold and are often given favorable Vegas odds depending on the temperature on game day. They practice when its hot, play home games in the heat and spend most of their time in that climate. Is what Havok said really that ignorant?
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thejusman1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:16 pm

I don't know about Latin/non-Latin players, but I know once the weather starts heating up Rangers Park goes absolutely wild. I'm praying that fixes whatever is ailing my Texas bats (Hammy + Chris Davis :~( )
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby thedude » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:47 pm

thejusman1 wrote:I don't know about Latin/non-Latin players, but I know once the weather starts heating up Rangers Park goes absolutely wild. I'm praying that fixes whatever is ailing my Texas bats (Hammy + Chris Davis :~( )

I am praying it does not ruin whatever is right with my Texas sleeper starting pitchers (CJ Wilson and Colby Lewis).
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers