Changing your mind after a trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Changing your mind after a trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Changing your mind after a trade

Postby Green Bastard » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:20 pm

I've never seen this before in the 9 years I've been playing fantasy sports and I want to know what others think. In a Yahoo league I was sent a blind trade offer of Ricky Romero for Plácido Polanco. Sounded good to me, I have to many bench hitters and could use another arm. I accepted. The next day (while the trade is still in the voting process) the guy e-mails me back saying he changed his mind and doesn't want to do the trade anymore. My response "Sucks to be you, I guess you shouldn't have offered it then". Long story short he continues to whine and beg and plead the league to veto the trade. What's worse, is that they actually do it. My opinion is that this guy is a gutless coward. When I pushed accept the trade was done, it was an agreement. Asking that it be voted down is like going back on your word. It's not the trade that's got me PO'd, Romero isn't going to make or break my team, it's the principal of it. You don't make an agreement and then weasel out of it. In one of my dynasty leagues I traded for Joe Nathan this spring, only days later he was done for. My response then "Sucks to be me", not once did I even consider asking that the trade be canceled.

Is it me? Am I the one who's wrong here?
Last edited by Green Bastard on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Green Bastard
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Changing your mind after a trade

Postby RDD15 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:29 pm

I agree with you.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Green Bastard » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:38 pm

RDD15 wrote:I agree with you.

Thank you, I can't believe the **** this has stirred up in this league. You know I've heard the saying "it can't be everyone else and not you". You know what, some times it IS everyone else. I don't know what kind of league this is but I just want to drop all my players and forget about it, unfortunately I'm not the kind of person to do that especially in a H2H league. (oops, sorry about the language. I'm pretty steamed over this still. I edited it out).
Green Bastard
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:02 pm

I would also agree with you. If the other owner approached me saying, "Crap. I know I proposed/accepted the trade, but I misread it. I meant to offer X instead of Y.", I might feel some sympathy, and on a good day might even agree to roll it back, but I don't think I'd be under any obligation to do so; you click the button, you need to be ready to deal with the consequences of your action/mistake. If someone is simply saying, "I have buyer's remorse and changed my mind.", that honestly wouldn't drum up any sympathy with me. The best I could hope would be to maintain tact while explaining why I wasn't willing to undo the trade.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby mkultra » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:54 am

I agree that what your trading partner did was totally uncalled for and unsportsmanlike. There's a reason the confirmation screen is there. What were the rest of the managers thinking?

I'd put it in this context- if he had dropped Romero, he's SOL. If he forgets to start Romero on a day he's pitching, he's SOL. Yes, I realize the Commish can "force" things through, but for all intents and purposes transactions are final if the software says they are.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby converge241 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:08 pm

I agree with you.

They have the right to ASK to back out out it/buyer's remorse but you arent required to agree to it. Plenty of options even before that to change their mind. Could have pulled the trade, confirmation screen, etc.

Make sure you do not accept or send anything to this guy anymore.

Id be worried about this happening for other trades where both owners do NOT agree to rescind. Its been demonstrated that this is a league where you can get your own deals vetoed (and whose to say what else might be gang-vetoed as well?)

And especially after ROmero's start today! I know that its the principle like you said, but still..
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:18 am

you gotta love the coincidence that this gets posted a day before he almost throw a no-hitter...awesome
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ABA316 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Thumbs down big time to the other owner..but that said he doesn't get ALL the blame. Those who hit the veto button (unless given a false story by the other owner) don't get any prizes for going along with it either.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Keen3 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:34 pm

I am the commissioner of a league and I wrote into the constitution that during the two day veto period, either owner can rescind the trade without penalty. My reasoning for this was that because not everyone in the league knows one another, there isn't necessarily a way to negotiate a trade.
For example, if I'm looking to fill a hole a 2B, maybe I send out a bunch of offers. A few fliers, a few reasonable offers, etc. I don't want to be held to accepting the first trade that gets accepted.
In this circumstance though, when this rule or detail hasn't been previously decided upon, I think it's commonly accepted that once a deal has been "accepted" it's final.
Keen3
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby drunkmonkey » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:21 pm

Keen3 wrote:I am the commissioner of a league and I wrote into the constitution that during the two day veto period, either owner can rescind the trade without penalty. My reasoning for this was that because not everyone in the league knows one another, there isn't necessarily a way to negotiate a trade.
For example, if I'm looking to fill a hole a 2B, maybe I send out a bunch of offers. A few fliers, a few reasonable offers, etc. I don't want to be held to accepting the first trade that gets accepted.

That's a horrible policy, and an even worse reasoning behind it. Every league has a way to contact owners. A trade consists of offer-acceptance, not offer-acceptance-confirmation. That's just a selfish way to treat other owners.
drunkmonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 ChampionTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner