Snake Draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Snake Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Snake Draft

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:11 pm

I was thinking about it, at a certain point does a Snake Draft stop being "fair." For example, fi you have a thirty team league, can you honestly say the drop off between the #1 and the #30 and 31 balances out.

Going off Yahoo rankings, can you honestly say Zimmerman and Vmart are worth Pujols and Abreu?

Just something I was considering. I don't suppose there are any better ways to do it.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Snake Draft

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Auction. ;-D
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:Auction. ;-D

Hmmm. Good point. Auctions are fair. I wish I did more of them.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:32 pm

I like auctions a lot better. I sort of lobbied for it in our league but a bunch of other guys were into it too. The first year, we had a couple of lightweights who wanted to be done in 3 hours and they bailed and we added some good new guys and it's really a lot of fun. I think the teams are better balanced. There were always a couple of guys in odd slots who'd end up w/ kind of odd teams, like guys they couldn't pass up but didn't want w/ the auction.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Matthias » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:I was thinking about it, at a certain point does a Snake Draft stop being "fair." For example, fi you have a thirty team league, can you honestly say the drop off between the #1 and the #30 and 31 balances out.

Going off Yahoo rankings, can you honestly say Zimmerman and Vmart are worth Pujols and Abreu?

Just something I was considering. I don't suppose there are any better ways to do it.

I'd say any league more than 8 teams are past the point of being fair... and maybe even 6.

If you have to have a non auction draft, you could go 1 through 30 then snake it to do 30 through 1, and then do 30 through 1 again.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yanks_Baby » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:46 pm

Matthias wrote:
Yanks_Baby wrote:I was thinking about it, at a certain point does a Snake Draft stop being "fair." For example, fi you have a thirty team league, can you honestly say the drop off between the #1 and the #30 and 31 balances out.

I'd say any league more than 8 teams are past the point of being fair... and maybe even 6.

If you have to have a non auction draft, you could go 1 through 30 then snake it to do 30 through 1, and then do 30 through 1 again.

I'd say that's a bit of an exageration. In a 12 team for example, Fielder and Miggy are totally equal to say Pujols and Pedroia. Atleast I feel so.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:09 am

I much prefer auctions. Although they require that everybody knows what they're doing, whereas a draft it's usually not that tough for a rookie to follow along on a cheat sheet. For an established league, auctions should definitely be considered. Takes a lot longer, but it's well worth it. There are aspects of a draft that are kind of nice, like starting a run on closers, the anxiety of waiting another round for a big sleeper and hoping nobody picks him, etc. But when you end up waiting 10 or 20 picks between players, especially at the start of the draft, it's really out of your hands and just down to how well the other teams fared after you were forced to take Pujols/Braun/Hanley. A lot of times a hybrid is used, so the starting lineups are filled with the auction, and a 5 round reserve snake draft follows to fill out the bench spots. The auction itself is a lot more complicated than it might seem at first, and is definitely something I need to work on. No matter how prepared I feel, or how many contingency plans I have, I always have regrets at the end which seem like such obvious mistakes. Like why did I take Figgins at $14 for my MI spot, when I know I can probably get Alcides Escobar for a buck later on?
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 528)

Return to Baseball Leftovers