How is this an earned run? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How is this an earned run?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How is this an earned run?

Postby arkk21 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:38 pm

I'm a knowledgeable baseball person. I was under the assumption that score keepers have to play out an inning as though the error didn't happen in cases like this, which in this case the runner on second would have not scored...please explain this to me.

Rich Harden pitching:
Michael Brantley: Bunt foul, Ball, Ball, Brantley grounded out to second.
Shin-Soo Choo: Ball, Choo singled to center.
Travis Hafner: Ball, Ball, Foul, Strike looking, Pickoff attempt, Pickoff attempt, Ball, Pickoff attempt, Hafner walked, Choo to third on Andrus' fielding error.
Jhonny Peralta: Strike looking, Peralta hit sacrifice fly to right, Choo scored.
Matt LaPorta: Strike swinging, Ball, Ball, Foul, Hafner to second on wild pitch, LaPorta singled to center, Hafner out at home.
End of Inning (1 Run, 2 Hits, 1 Error)
arkk21
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How is this an earned run?

Postby shmolex » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:47 pm

looks pretty easy. choo would have moved to 3rd on the wild pitch and would have scored on the single. And I dont believe wild pitches are errors.
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GiantExpectations » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:05 pm

shmolex wrote:looks pretty easy. choo would have moved to 3rd on the wild pitch and would have scored on the single. And I dont believe wild pitches are errors.

Choo would have scored on the single from 2nd or he would have easily scored from 3rd on the single anyway.

If after he was at 3rd, the sac fly was hit and then the rest of the batters struck out, it would have be unearned.

btw, how the hell did Hafner almost make it home from 1st on a single? :-?

sorry, didn't see the Hafner going to 2nd on the wp.
Last edited by GiantExpectations on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GiantExpectations
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:06 pm

shmolex wrote:looks pretty easy. choo would have moved to 3rd on the wild pitch and would have scored on the single. And I dont believe wild pitches are errors.

Choo moved to third on Andrus's fielding error and then scored on a sac fly. Not really sure where the earned run comes from either to be honest.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby shmolex » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:08 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:

Choo moved to third on Andrus's fielding error and then scored on a sac fly. Not really sure where the earned run comes from either to be honest.

choo scores on la porta's single even if he doesn't make it to 3rd on the error. And Hafner was on 2nd after the wild pitch.
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:40 pm

shmolex wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:

choo scores on la porta's single even if he doesn't make it to 3rd on the error. And Hafner was on 2nd after the wild pitch.

yup, if la porta had made an out the run would have been unearned, but since he got a hit and choo would have scored without the error occuring, it's an earned run.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby APAP » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:28 pm

I thought it didnt matter as long as Choo got a hit. Choo didnt reach by error so if he scores its an earned run, because he got on base by hit. If Choo reached by error then scored it would be unearned.
Thanks to soty for this sig
APAP
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nerfherders » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:44 pm

It's the wild pitch. Choo's at second after the Hafner walk, The wild pitch moves the runners to 2nd and third, and LaPorta's single drives in Choo.

wild pitches are not errors, they are on the pitcher.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:02 pm

A runner who advances on an error isn't treated like an 'out' if that is what you were thinking. It isn't like a normal error where recreating the inning counts it as an out.

If Choo hits a single, the next 2 guys strike out and then a 3rd guy gets on with an error then Choo is not going to be an earned run no matter what. That error should have been the third out.

When Choo goes from 1st to 3rd on an error the scorekeeper sort of pretends he's still on 2nd base and no out was made. The wild pitch before the single makes it a no brainer that he would have scored even without the error. Without the wild pitch it becomes more of a judgment call, would he have tagged on the sac fly ball, would the single have scored him etc. I'm sure they have some sort of general guidelines on how to handle that but I don't know what they are.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby the ROC » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:17 pm

I didn't see the game, but how in the world did Andrus have a fielding error on a walk? Unless I'm reading this wrong...

I made a bet in 2003 that the Devil Rays would win the 2008 World Series. Oh so close.
the ROC
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Location: Defending my Baseball, Football, and Hockey Fantasy Championships

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers