Jimmy Rollins - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jimmy Rollins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jimmy Rollins

Postby hett2333 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:15 pm

PHILADELPHIA (AP)—Jimmy Rollins(notes) was a late scratch for the Philadelphia Phillies’ home opener because of a strained right calf.

The All-Star shortstop had already been announced as the leadoff hitter during pregame introductions.

Rollins was injured while he running on the field shortly before the first pitch Monday against Washington. Juan Castro(notes) replaced Rollins.
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jimmy Rollins

Postby hett2333 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:44 pm

Rollins scheduled to have an MRI on his calf tomorrow. After getting off to great start, it's going to be a shame if he goes on the dl. :-t
Am I the only person in the cafe who's a Rollins owner?
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:50 pm

Sources tell Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com that Jimmy Rollins has a Grade 2 calf strain.

Such an injury would normally require a stint on the disabled list, but we should have a clearer picture about his timetable after he undergoes an MRI on Tuesday. If Rollins is forced to go on the disabled list, Wilson Valdez would likely draw the majority of starts at shortstop with Shane Victorino leading off.

-Rotoworld.com

Tough for us Rollins owners who so far were seeing a guy who was returning to his 2007/08 form. Hopefully it's a short stint on the disabled list, if any. In the meantime, the replacements look bleak... Alcides Escobar, Cliff Pennington, Edgar Renteria... gonna go with Escobar for some SBs.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:11 pm

Yikes, that's not good news. He's been great! I have Ian Desmond as a backup but I'm not sure how long that will last?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby LMack » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:36 pm

ESPN (Rotowire)
A source tells CSN Philly that Rollins has a Grade 2 calf strain, an injury that usually requires a trip to the disabled list.

This diagnosis is far from official, but Rollins was not moving well after the game and the feeling is that this is more than a minor, day-to-day injury. An MRI scheduled for Tuesday should reveal more information.

Ponders to self , Today is Tuesday. Waiting with bated breath.
Go Jay Bruce. Credits to Super Manny.
LMack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby interchange » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:07 pm

A little bit surprised no word yet. That's probably a bad sign.

Of course w/ Berkman, Webb, Street, and Strasburg already occupying spots for me, what's 1 more lukewarm body on my roster?
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Even if the news were bad, it doesn't make sense that there wouldn't have been word as of yet. Perhaps they're just waiting to make an announcement until they know whether he'll require a stint on the DL. I can't imagine that even if it were a worst case scenario such as a torn ACL that it makes any sense to wait to report it.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby rotoquest » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:29 pm

Found this out just a little bit ago:

On Monday Rollins strained his calf muscle just before the Phillies home opener against the Washington Nationals. He did not play and is said to be getting an MRI.

The calf muscle refers to a group of muscles, above the Achilles tendon in the back of the leg. The media portion is the part nost commonly strained.

A calf strain can range from mile to severe. Grade one means the muscle fibers are stretched. This is a mild injury.

Grade two means there is partial tearing of the muscle fibers (anywhere from 10 to 90-percent affect.)

Grade three is the most severe. It refers to when there is a complete tear in the muscle. It is rare.

Grade two is the most common grade of calf strain. It typically takes three to six weeks for recovery.

Podiatrist Dr. Nick Taweel of the Rothman Institute at Jefferson says calf strains are common from the professional athlete to the weekend warrior.

"It's a stretching injury when the muscle is stretched beyond its excursion and the fibers are torn."

Treatment starts with rest, ice, compression and medication as needed.

Athletes then undergo sports specific rehabilitation. The typical recovery time for a grade 2 strain is 3 to 6 weeks but can be quicker for athletes.

However, we do not know the extent of Jimmy Rollins injury.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:53 am

i assume with a grade 2 that is for sure hes going on the DL. i wish there was word on how long he would be out. if it was just 2 weeks i could get by with a fill in, but if its going to be a month or longer i would have to trade for someone decent.
even whenever he does return, i imagine a leg injury could limit his SB potential.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 103)

Postby gocards » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:17 pm

From today's Yahoo Closing Time

"Early signs point to Jimmy Rollins(notes) (calf) hitting the 15-day DL on Wednesday. Be prepared for a multi-week absence. ..."

A 15 day stint is obviously "multi-week" but this makes it sound like it could be longer than just the 15 days.
gocards
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates