Yahoo! and minor league players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Yahoo! and minor league players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo! and minor league players

Postby WittyC » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:42 pm

This is a borderline rant, but I also need information about other fantasy providers, so please bear with me...

I'm in my eighth season of hosting a 12-team, H2H, weekly locked roster league on Yahoo!. We converted to a keeper league last season, and I added a supplemental prospect draft in June to allow teams to draft up to five players who had zero MLB experience and keep them in a farm system until they were called up to the majors. Once they are called up to the majors, owners have two weeks to add them to their roster or they are sacrificed to the waiver gods.

So Yahoo! has an option for commissioners to only add players to the universe after they have been called up. But even with this option checked, players like Yonder Alonso, Steven Strasburg, Dustin Ackley, etc. are showing up in the player universe. I wrote to Yahoo! support and after six emails (yes, six emails), I finally got someone to admit that they randomly add top prospects to the player pool before the season. So basically, that option is worthless.

Now I have a bunch of minor league players in our player universe who are supposed to be in the minors. Yahoo!'s support team gave me the runaround for about about two weeks, saying "we only add players who are on the active roster," which was a lie. Finally, here was their explanation:

I appreciate your inquiry regarding certain players or prospects that
are projected to make a MLB team from Spring Training, but are not yet
available in your league. I apologize for any confusion.

The rule listed below only applies to players we added to the game after
the game was launched. Each season our Fantasy Experts form a list of
top prospects they want added before the game goes live for the season
and all of those players are available in every format. Any player added
after that has to follow the rules described below.

If your league uses the setting "Wait until called up to the Majors",
certain players will not be in your league's player pool until they are
on an active MLB roster. Most prospects that have made a MLB team will
appear on a MLB roster beginning April 4th that is the MLB season opener
and MLB teams have finalized their 25 man active roster.

In other words, "We give you the option to not include players with no MLB experience, then we take a giant dump on your head by going ahead and including them anyway." Thanks Yahoo!

Does anyone know of a provider who can meet the requirements of my league format? I wrote to CBS Sportsline's support department, and their answer was extremely vague. Does ESPN have options along this line? I've only ever played on Yahoo! leagues, but they have clearly fallen way behind the curve. How is it possible, that in this day and age, I can't feed the message board posts to an RSS reader? That technology is what, a decade old? Ugh.

I just cannot believe that Yahoo! randomly adds players to the universe. It just doesn't register in my brain, other than to say that the people in charge of Yahoo! Fantasy Sports don't actually play fantasy sports. How else is this possible?

Again, thanks for letting me rant a bit. Any feedback about other providers would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?
If there is, I don't want to know about it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo! and minor league players

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:06 pm

The information you received from customer care is incorrect. If you can give me any more information about your exchange with customer care, please PM me so I can explain to them how this actually works.

The players you are mentioning, like Strasburg, *were* placed on their team's official roster during the preseason. That is why they appear in the game even if you have that setting in place. There is nothing more we can do than be consistent and convey what the teams have done; I'd agree it is unfortunate for your wishes if he was briefly placed on the roster, but as soon as we go back to subjectively deciding whether to include him or not, you're right back where you were without this feature in place at all.

A full post on this feature:
viewtopic.php?p=3206171#p3206171
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby bigmck » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:28 pm

As far as I know, no stat service excludes Minor Leaguers from being picked up. We use CBS and we control this manually and it works well. We have four "Official Websites" for our league. If a player shows as activated to the Majors on any one of them, the player is eligible to be picked up. If someone claims a player too early, I (the Commish) just reverse the transaction and the owner forfeits the money bid. It works well.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby WittyC » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:57 pm

bigmck wrote:As far as I know, no stat service excludes Minor Leaguers from being picked up. We use CBS and we control this manually and it works well. We have four "Official Websites" for our league. If a player shows as activated to the Majors on any one of them, the player is eligible to be picked up. If someone claims a player too early, I (the Commish) just reverse the transaction and the owner forfeits the money bid. It works well.

Yeah, and I can do that in Yahoo!, too, but man... how can it be that no provider offers the ability to edit the player universe? With CBS you can edit the minimum number of games played to acquire position eligibility, and they claim this will work for my league, but they didn't specify if that was pre-season or in-season, so it could be the same issue as with Yahoo!

I totally understand why Yahoo! does this. They want the "hot" prospects available at their auction. They'd probably get 10 times as many users emailing about Strasburg NOT being available as they do about him being available. They are pandering to the amateur player, which is profitable, but they are doing so at the expense of veterans who want some league.

I'll wait to hear back from our Yahoo! support rep here on the boards, but I don't believe Yahoo!, CBS or ESPN has a standard policy for adding players to the talent pool. Before the season they guess which players might be called up and add them to the universe. It's an inconsistent practice, but I guess I'll just have to work with what I've got.

The thing that chaps my hide is that I set up my league this way because Yahoo! had that option. I would never have added all this work if they didn't have a misleading option. Live and learn.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:14 pm

As I explained to you offline, we do have a standard policy. If it isn't working properly, I'll be pissed as well, I assure you. I'll keep you posted as I gather data.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WittyC » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:55 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:As I explained to you offline, we do have a standard policy. If it isn't working properly, I'll be pissed as well, I assure you. I'll keep you posted as I gather data.

I really do appreciate you investigating this for me. I'm not ragging on Yahoo! for the sake of ragging on Yahoo! I'm just disappointed that my league isn't flowing as smoothly as I had originally intended, and I felt like I was somewhat misled by the Commish options. It's a minor inconvenience, as my league mates are all trustworthy, but if someone accidentally adds Yonder Alonso at the 11th hour (we have weekly locked roster) and I don't see it, and then Alonso gets called up that week and logs AB's, it will affect the outcome of the league, and that would be a disaster.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:13 pm

I get it. As much as a lot of people here don't want to believe it, we really do care about this stuff, and it drives us nuts if there is a bug that materially impacts the outcome of your leagues. That's why I'm checking into this to make sure we did the right thing, even though I've already been down this road multiple times this season.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Gaze » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:12 pm

Similar situation, but...

Did anyone else have an issue with trying to pick up Mike Leake prior to his start over the weekend? Everytime I attempted to enter his name into the search for a player option, the search box would autofil his name, but it always said "No entry found." Come Monday, he was listed. He was the scheduled starter and obviously on the 25 man roster... why wasn't he available?
Gaze
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Gaze wrote:Similar situation, but...

Did anyone else have an issue with trying to pick up Mike Leake prior to his start over the weekend? Everytime I attempted to enter his name into the search for a player option, the search box would autofil his name, but it always said "No entry found." Come Monday, he was listed. He was the scheduled starter and obviously on the 25 man roster... why wasn't he available?

Does your league use the setting to only show players on the active roster? I can mention the following things:

- The presence of his name in the search box autofill is a red herring. There is a bug filed that players can appear there who are not available in the game (or are inappropriate for your league). I know somebody is working on that.

- "Obviously on the 25 man roster". That "obviously" thing will get you in trouble. Often when people assume we're being foolish about player management it turns out the answer is the MLB team is doing something non-obvious. For example, it isn't unusual for a team to bring a player up and add him to the active roster on the day he's going to pitch. Since the player pool doesn't update in the middle of the day, if a team does that and your league only sees guys on the active roster, then you aren't going to see him until the day after he first pitches.

- Looking back at what actually happened with Leake, he was "forced" into our game on Friday, April 9th. So for leagues that see forced players, they would have first seen him in the player pool on Saturday. He lost his forced status in yesterday's update, suggesting he hit the active roster on Sunday. Which all points to the fact that he was probably added to the active roster on that game day.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:48 pm

So I've again confirmed:

- When our provider tells us a player is rostered, it does indeed mean the active roster and not the 40 man roster.
- In the pre-season, Strasburg (being the most visible example) was indeed on the active roster prior to being optioned to AA.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner