Roy Halladay - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Roy Halladay

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Roy Halladay

Postby thatguy27 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:15 pm

Given the numbers he put up in the AL East, it's frightening to imagine what he is capable of doing now that he's in the NL... What is the likelihood that he posts a sub 2.00 ERA? Sub 1.00 WHIP?

Assuming he remains healthy (please stay healthy Roy), he should log in the neighborhood of 250 to 260 IP. What are reasonable projections? 22 Wins, 220 Ks, 2.10 ERA, 1.05 WHIP? I think those projections are very reachable for Roy - I wouldn't call them conservative, but I also wouldn't say I'm going out on a limb. We're talking about a guy at the top of his game who has consistently put up elite numbers in the least pitcher friendly division in baseball. They say moving from the AL to the NL typically shaves 0.5-1.0 off of a pitcher's ERA - well he didn't just move from the AL, but from the AL East. I think an ERA of 2.45 is his absolute ceiling, with a potential floor around 1.8. I see 1.10 as the ceiling for his WHIP, with a floor of maybe 0.90.

A 24 Win, 230 K, 1.80 ERA, 0.90 WHIP season is possible and might just make him the most valuable commodity in fantasy baseball. Sure, it's more likely that he posts a line similar to the one in the second paragraph, but I fully believe Roy is capable of posting the absurd numbers listed above (not that the more 'conservative' numbers aren't absurd, but, yeah, you know what I mean...).
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Padsin05 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:56 am

Halladay is only afraid of Heyward!

I think last year I got into a debate of Halladay vs all others, saying I would take Halladay over ANY pitcher in baseball including Lince and was bashed mildly
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:11 am

Last year that would have made sense. :-D This year he looks like he could be the best pitcher in the majors, or at least very close to. I have high hopes.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mweir145 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:33 am

None of this should be surprising to anyone. He's the same pitcher as last year (or the year before), he's just pitching against much easier competition (the National League).

Really, he's been the best pitcher in baseball for the better part of the last decade, and it's about time he got some recognition for it.

thatguy27 wrote:Given the numbers he put up in the AL East, it's frightening to imagine what he is capable of doing now that he's in the NL... What is the likelihood that he posts a sub 2.00 ERA? Sub 1.00 WHIP?

Certainly in the realm of possibility. In fact, if he's the same Roy Halladay as 2008/2009 (and the only major difference seems to be that he's improved his 4th pitch, a changeup), that should be the expectation.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:37 am

Padsin05 wrote:I think last year I got into a debate of Halladay vs all others, saying I would take Halladay over ANY pitcher in baseball including Lince and was bashed mildly

Change last year to every year, and bashed mildly to bashed heavily, and you've got me.

As much as I hated to see Doc leave Toronto, it's going to be great seeing him put up video game numbers in the NL this summer.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby joejlitz » Sat May 29, 2010 11:23 pm

I heard he pitched tonight, but I was watching the Stanley Cup. Did he win? ;-7

Someone told me he is pretty good. ;-)
joejlitz
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby skjelstrom » Sun May 30, 2010 12:39 am

joejlitz wrote:I heard he pitched tonight, but I was watching the Stanley Cup. Did he win? ;-7

Someone told me he is pretty good. ;-)

Haha, Im hoping that was a joke. Halladay's perfect game was amazing.
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby mweir145 » Sun May 30, 2010 4:38 am

I guess he got a head start on putting up those video game numbers.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun May 30, 2010 12:42 pm

I wonder what Tim Lincecum does with his time during the 7th, 8th, and 9th innings when he's done for the night while Halladay's out pitching perfect games? :-?
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers