Overused terms on Baseball Cafe boards - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Overused terms on Baseball Cafe boards

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Overused terms on Baseball Cafe boards

Postby creepingdeath » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:46 pm

PED's
creepingdeath
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 188
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Overused terms on Baseball Cafe boards

Postby ensanimal » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:49 am

creepingdeath wrote:PED's


Ding Dong.
ensanimal
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10617
(Past Year: 110)
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tim Horton's

Re: Overused terms on Baseball Cafe boards

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:43 pm

Can't stand this:

"As a (instead team name) fan, I can honestly say..." - So basically if your a fan of that team your information is more valuable then someone who isn't?

"Not being biased, but..." - So your basically telling us before you even get to your point that your view is slandered because of your likes and dislikes. Thats like saying "Not to be rude, but your ugly.", even tho you say your not being rude, you STILL are. You can't justify a statement before you even make it, otherwise your justification is 100% the opposite of what your saying.
Image

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2693
Joined: 4 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Overused terms on Baseball Cafe boards

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:09 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:Can't stand this:

"As a (instead team name) fan, I can honestly say..." - So basically if your a fan of that team your information is more valuable then someone who isn't?

"Not being biased, but..." - So your basically telling us before you even get to your point that your view is slandered because of your likes and dislikes. Thats like saying "Not to be rude, but your ugly.", even tho you say your not being rude, you STILL are. You can't justify a statement before you even make it, otherwise your justification is 100% the opposite of what your saying.


I agree and disagree here. I see what you are saying. but at the same time, I make it a point to mention that I am from minnesota every time I answer a Twins related question. I mention that because I watch the players play about 130 times a year. I have a better feeling for the tendencies of the players and team, then I do any other players in the league. Same thing with baltimore, because I am a baltimore fan and I watch as many games as possible. I personally know alot more about how Nick Markakis has played this year then I do about Alfonso Soriano, even thuugh I know all of Soriano's stats and I have looked at each of his game lines.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3875
(Past Year: 167)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Overused terms on Baseball Cafe boards

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:34 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
bazzy_51 wrote:Can't stand this:

"As a (instead team name) fan, I can honestly say..." - So basically if your a fan of that team your information is more valuable then someone who isn't?

"Not being biased, but..." - So your basically telling us before you even get to your point that your view is slandered because of your likes and dislikes. Thats like saying "Not to be rude, but your ugly.", even tho you say your not being rude, you STILL are. You can't justify a statement before you even make it, otherwise your justification is 100% the opposite of what your saying.


I agree and disagree here. I see what you are saying. but at the same time, I make it a point to mention that I am from minnesota every time I answer a Twins related question. I mention that because I watch the players play about 130 times a year. I have a better feeling for the tendencies of the players and team, then I do any other players in the league. Same thing with baltimore, because I am a baltimore fan and I watch as many games as possible. I personally know alot more about how Nick Markakis has played this year then I do about Alfonso Soriano, even thuugh I know all of Soriano's stats and I have looked at each of his game lines.


ditto
+1
agreed

I think I'd put a little more weight into someone's opinion if they watch them all the time. Kind of like seeing Delmon Young in the field, you don't know how bad it really is until you see him in action :-o
Image
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2068
Joined: 2 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Shooting for par

Re: Overused terms on Baseball Cafe boards

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:08 pm

WickedSmaat wrote:Kind of like seeing Delmon Young in the field, you don't know how bad it really is until you see him in action :-o


:-o :-o X-I %-6 :-P %-6 :-P 8-o :-t
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3875
(Past Year: 167)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Overused terms on Baseball Cafe boards

Postby Nerfherders » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:32 pm

I see "base" alot on these boards.

And also "ball"
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 668
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 25 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Overused terms on Baseball Cafe boards

Postby great gretzky » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:38 pm

I agree with the twins fans. This isn't football. You really can't watch as much as a local fan. Well I know the package is there, but the reality is, a hometown fan should count for something. make a mental note of the biases, but also realize there are insights you never would have had the chance to be privvy to if you weren't an everyday observer. Baseball is weird like that. You just need to balance the micro and macro opinions and stats. But for those who aren't everyday fans, you really only have macro opinions and box scores. which in my opinion if you are making a strong statement about a player isn't enough.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3769
Joined: 3 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Overused terms on Baseball Cafe boards

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:47 pm

I feel the exact opposite of Bazzy, again. When I post a question, I'm really hoping to get a response from some local bar skank that watches every at bat in a sports bar with other skanks, or a couch potato (300lbs+) that watches every game from his/her mother's basement (that way we know there is no GF, wife, or kids to interrupt the potato's concentration). There is no way I'd know as much about a team as the local skank or potato.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3200
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles. U Jelly?

Re: Overused terms on Baseball Cafe boards

Postby great gretzky » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:53 pm

Well as long as its not Sully and Denise rooting for Nomah.... then the local bit has its limitations.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3769
Joined: 3 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp, Pogotheostrich and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Aug. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Houston at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Cleveland at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Detroit at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Washington
(4:05 pm)
LA Angels at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
San Francisco at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
San Diego at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact