Ah, Montero, what could've been.
Go Jay Bruce. Credits to Super Manny.
LMack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Miguel Montero

Postby Kuji » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:32 pm

dark2025 wrote:I know nothing about injuries, so how long would a tear of the meniscus treatment be? Should he be dropped now, or should he be kept on the DL?

If you want to keep him, expect to keep him for awhile in the DL. If it was another type of player, like a 1B, i would have stayed and watched the progress, but as a Catcher (more wear and tear on those poor knees) then it's a different story.

Hopefully, the tear isn't bad enough to require surgery. If it does require surgery, you can expect him to return in around 6 to 8 months.

PS: Dad's a doc (baseball fan as well) and did some research on the injury. Link below:
http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/meniscus-tear.php
Kuji
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kuji » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:38 pm

I'll be the bearer of bad news...
Yahoo! Sports reports...
C Miguel Montero suffered a torn meniscus when he made an awkward step while trying to avoid a tag Saturday night, and he is to undergo another MRI on Monday to check for possible ligament damage. Surgery will be performed as soon as the extent of the damage is known. He was placed on the 15-day DL. The recovery time for a professional who has had arthroscopic surgery to repair torn meniscus is four to eight weeks, according to the website for the Orthopedic Center of St. Louis. "That (meniscus) would be the best scenario for him," D-Backs manager A.J. Hinch said. "We want to rule out any other problem with any other lettered ligament. The sky's not falling. We'll be OK."
Montero, who made his first Opening Day start this season after a career year in 2009, was attempting to beat Pittsburgh lefty Zach Duke to first base after hitting a slow roller toward the bag at first. "I was running fine. I never slowed down," Montero said. "Actually, I was kind of trying to run him over. I tried to speed up and I felt something pop. That's when I slowed down. I knew there was something wrong. I couldn't sleep (Saturday) night -- not because of the pain but because I was thinking about it. Hopefully I'll be fine and be back as soon as I can." Montero, 26, had career highs in every offensive category last season after replacing catcher Chris Snyder (back) in the starting lineup in mid-June. Montero hit .294 with 16 homers and 59 RBI.

Snyder will become the starter, and catcher John Hester was recalled from Class AAA Reno to fill the roster.
Kuji
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:50 am

That's actually good news. No ligament damage.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby j24jags » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:08 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:That's actually good news. No ligament damage.

;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:24 pm

Just expanding a bit...

Doctors have ruled out ligament damage in Miguel Montero's right knee and expect him to miss only four-to-six weeks.

The catcher was examined Tuesday by Los Angeles-based Dr. Lewis Yocum and received the promising news. For those that dropped Montero thinking he might be out all year, it's probably time to pick him back up and store him on the disabled list. Chris Snyder will continue to start in Arizona for the next month or so and is a fine emergency option in mixed leagues.

-Rotoworld.com

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Kuji » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:20 am

I already have Kinsler on my DL... grrr... :-C
Kuji
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor