"Consider him a No. 1 Fantasy SS immediately in all mixed... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

"Consider him a No. 1 Fantasy SS immediately in all mixed...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: "Consider him a No. 1 Fantasy SS immediately in all mixed...

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:22 pm

He is a good guy to keep an eye on, though. He's basically Juan Pierre with a bit more pop, that qualifies at SS. I can't imagine a league where he'd go undrafted.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 191)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:56 pm

Skin Blues wrote:He is a good guy to keep an eye on, though. He's basically Juan Pierre with a bit more pop, that qualifies at SS. I can't imagine a league where he'd go undrafted.

ummmm WHAT? Since when did Escobar turn into a 40-50+ SB threat? Ontop of that the fact that there is no way that Escobar bats .300 on a season. Would say he more closley resembles Rollins with a cheaper price tag and cheaper average and less pop.
Last edited by bazzy_51 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:07 pm

ummmm since when is Rickie Weeks the topic of conversation? Or a SS? Maybe this is an inside joke that I'm not getting.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:13 pm

Skin Blues wrote:ummmm since when is Rickie Weeks the topic of conversation? Or a SS? Maybe this is an inside joke that I'm not getting.

Damn I need to quit posting on here for the day... Been on here too long, did the same damn thing in the Player Updates. Thinking about one guy and saying another.

Anyways to go on with this, I still say he is no where close to Pierre level, especially batting what 8th in that lineup? He won't have a shot at those 100+ Runs like Pierre, nor will he bat close to .300. Like I said Rollins with less pop, and thats only if he slides up the lineup a bit more, batting 8th all year will really kill his value.

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:23 pm

He's batting 8th for now (how long will Gomez last up at the top?) but it's a good lineup. He's the kind of guy that could turn a lot of profit and doesn't carry much risk. I have him and Pierre almost identical in terms of BA and SB, and an edge to Alcides in the power department. I don't see why .300 is out of the question, he did it in the minors as a youngster, and did it in the majors for part of a season. For the record I'm betting on .290 and a bit lower than that for Pierre. Time will tell, it's all speculation for now.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jackie hayes » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:08 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:He is a good guy to keep an eye on, though. He's basically Juan Pierre with a bit more pop, that qualifies at SS. I can't imagine a league where he'd go undrafted.

ummmm WHAT? Since when did Escobar turn into a 40-50+ SB threat? Ontop of that the fact that there is no way that Escobar bats .300 on a season. Would say he more closley resembles Rollins with a cheaper price tag and cheaper average and less pop.

Eh... Escobar being a 40-50 sb threat isn't hard to imagine. His sb totals the last few years are 26, 22, 34, 46. Most projection systems give him 25+, with Bill James pegging him for 42 (ever the optimist). Pierre is projected for 30-40 steals, not all that different. Now, all that said -- given where he's hitting (for now) and Milwaukee's low steals last year, I'd take the under on 45 steals. But I don't think it's outlandish. Similar story on the avg, except that the team doesn't affect that much.

Obviously, a lot less pop than Rollins and a bit more than Pierre (ie, a bit more than zero -- still very little).
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 141)

Postby thejusman1 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:03 pm

Alcides 0-4 today... does that mean he's back to waiver wire trash?
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby san76er » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:45 am

I really think Escobar can hit .300 this year. OK, he probably won't. Probably something closer to .285....but I really like the way this kid handles the bat. More often than not he puts the good part of the bat on the ball. He has a knack for picking out good pitches to hit, and doesn't miss them. He will contend for batting titles at some point in his career. I'm not sure that the stolen bases and power are there right now; but if he continuesto bat 8th (which he won't) he sould be a sneaky source of walks and OBP ( in leagues where that matters).
san76er
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kab21 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:35 am

san76er wrote:I really think Escobar can hit .300 this year. OK, he probably won't. Probably something closer to .285....but I really like the way this kid handles the bat. More often than not he puts the good part of the bat on the ball. He has a knack for picking out good pitches to hit, and doesn't miss them. He will contend for batting titles at some point in his career. I'm not sure that the stolen bases and power are there right now; but if he continuesto bat 8th (which he won't) he sould be a sneaky source of walks and OBP ( in leagues where that matters).

I thought he was ahead of Andrus when Andrus was named the Rangers starting SS last year. And I do think they are still very close. I do think he can hit in the .280's this year but I also think he'll have 5 HR's and 20-30 SB's. If it's closer to 30SB's then he's close to a top 12 SS but that's still looking like Ryan Theriot. And he's batting 8th currently which kills his RBI's and R's.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 187)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers