Julio Borbon: Unlucky or Bust - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Julio Borbon: Unlucky or Bust

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Julio Borbon: Unlucky or Bust

Postby rotoquest » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:55 am

Is it SAFE? Is it time to start his guy? Can he steal 60 bases from the 9 hole? As Marty Schottenheimer said many times "I see a glimmer".
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:30 am

rotoquest wrote:Is it SAFE? Is it time to start his guy? Can he steal 60 bases from the 9 hole? As Marty Schottenheimer said many times "I see a glimmer".

He has been feasting on Red Sox pitchers the last couple of games. Maybe he is heating up, maybe not.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mt99808 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:23 pm

How would you guys compare the outlook of Borbon vs someone like Juan Pierre? Are they similar?
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:48 pm

I'd temper my expectations of a huge rebound just because he's not going to wrangle that leadoff spot back from Andrus anytime soon. The biggest reason Andrus still had value out of the 9 slot was because he plays a thin position. I'd be real leery of using an OF or even UTIL slot on any nine hitter, let alone one who isn't really producing right now.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:22 am

well im enjoying this early season slump bc i liked Borbon going into 2010 but i was unable to land him him any leagues due to overdrafting by other owners. now, bc of his early season disaster, ive been able to grab him in 2 of my 5 leagues (of the WW!) and im hoping i can steal him from 1 other owner before he realizes the 2010 seasons started. PATIENCE my friends, patience! its key this time of the season... i learned that the hard way lastyr with players like Justin Upton :~(
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:01 am

NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:well im enjoying this early season slump bc i liked Borbon going into 2010 but i was unable to land him him any leagues due to overdrafting by other owners. now, bc of his early season disaster, ive been able to grab him in 2 of my 5 leagues (of the WW!) and im hoping i can steal him from 1 other owner before he realizes the 2010 seasons started. PATIENCE my friends, patience! its key this time of the season... i learned that the hard way lastyr with players like Justin Upton :~(

Its easy to be patient if your other players are performing well. But its impossible is they dont.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby machine3 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:26 pm

Borbon will eventually move back into the leadoff spot this season, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.

Recommendation: Borbon has played better hitting out of the ninth spot, but manager Ron Washington prefers him atop the lineup over Elvis Andrus.

(Rotowire.com)
machine3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:23 pm

machine3 wrote:
Borbon will eventually move back into the leadoff spot this season, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.

Recommendation: Borbon has played better hitting out of the ninth spot, but manager Ron Washington prefers him atop the lineup over Elvis Andrus.

(Rotowire.com)

For sure. I mean, who are we kidding here.....who wants a faster player with better plate discipline at the top of the lineup? ;-7
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby hondo4mvp » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:53 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:
machine3 wrote:

(Rotowire.com)

For sure. I mean, who are we kidding here.....who wants a faster player with better plate discipline at the top of the lineup? ;-7

I want a hit of crack so I'll think Borbon should be leadoff over Andrus too. :-t
hondo4mvp
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)

Postby blibros » Wed May 12, 2010 12:42 am

Unfortunately I don't have all the sordid details handy now, but I posted warnings about Borbon on a couple of message boards just before the start of the season. If you get deeper into his minor league numbers, you find that what he had was lots of bunt and infield hits driving up those BABIP and BA numbers. His seeming "success" in his 09 ML debut was due to totally unsustainable BABIP rates that far exceeded what he did in the minors for non-bunts. His BABIP for both GB and FB at AAA last year on a fairly large sample size (over 350 AB if I recall) was pathetic. At this point, he just doesn't know how to hit and mostly just tries to bunt or beat out grounders. Even last year in the majors, I think he bunted on something like 10% of his AB - that's an incredibly high number, but his ability to hit for any kind of average will be completely dependent on bunts and his line drive rate (which was decent last year, but tough to keep up when you hit so many GB and bunts). No way he repeats last year and huge chance of total bust.
blibros
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers