Mike Gonzalez *UPDATE* Going to see Andrews for 2nd Opinion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Mike Gonzalez *UPDATE* Going to see Andrews for 2nd Opinion

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mike Gonzalez 2/3 in the wrong category

Postby hwzdavu » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:09 pm

He just went on the DL. Should I pick up Johnson and drop Gonzalez? Otherwise I am gonna drop Gonzalez and look for help in another position.
hwzdavu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:36 pm

Baltimore just became very cloudy... Literally when I posted on this topic this morning there was no hint at DL, now hes on the DL, weird but whatever. But as far as who takes over? Johnson I'm not so sure will have the job fulltime if he closes, he is the #1 in line, but you can't count out Cla Meredith. Johnson does have some major league closing experience, while Meredith has never closed on the major league level, but Cla was a closer in the minor league ranks, so he knows how to do the job.

Should be very interesting to see. The best I can guess is Johnson should get most of the saves, but if he struggles at all (already one blown save last night) I wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore gives Cla or another bullpen arm a shot. Also a rotation wouldn't surprise me either to keep all the arms as fresh as possible. Basically its probably a guess and test system...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BBlinn13 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:54 pm

Kam Mickolio was just called up from triple a... from all I can tell he is the closer of the future for BAL. Is the future now? I dunno. As I am looking for a closer this *really* makes it difficult to decide on who to pick up between Johnson, Meredith and now Kam Mickolio...
[
BBlinn13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:16 pm

Would strongly be looking at Cla Meredith right about now, especially in those leagues that you picked Johnson up or in deep leauges that you might be able to steal a couple cheap saves. Not only did Johnson blow the save and take the L, but he looked like crap doing it. Loading the bases in the 9th only to give Ryan Sweeney a game winnings 2-run single. Johnson is not very much of a strikeout pitcher and I don't see him lasting very long at closer, even last year he only closed down 10 of 16 save opps and is already 0-2 this year with a 10+ERA. Meredith could see a legit shot as soon as the next save opp, imo.

Either way you look at it I don't really see value in any of these guys given the state that the O's are in right now, I don't see many save Opps. Heck they even turned away the HOF that gave Baltimore its reputation in Cal Ripken Jr, he offered to play an undisclosed role in helping the younger players and even some of the vets and the organization turned him away, hell they need all the help they can get.

bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bazzy_51 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Mike Gonzalez is scheduled to have his shoulder looked at this week by Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Alabama.

Gonzalez was placed on the disabled list last week with a strained left shoulder. ""I think it’s generally a good idea [to get a second opinion]," Orioles president Andy MacPhail said Tuesday. "You’re not going to be available for a couple of weeks so why not? Let’s get the information." The O's are hoping he will only be sidelined for about three weeks.

-Per Rotoworld.com

bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Re: Mike Gonzalez *UPDATE* Going to see Andrews for 2nd Opinion

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:47 pm

i read somewhere ohman is in the mix, is this true?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby DoctaDre » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:41 am

why are you guys worried about owning a closer for the worst team in baseball? they might win once a week. Doubt who ever is closing will be useful to ANY fantasy team.
DoctaDre
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:54 pm

DoctaDre wrote:why are you guys worried about owning a closer for the worst team in baseball? they might win once a week. Doubt who ever is closing will be useful to ANY fantasy team.

Heath Bell says hi.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:57 pm

DoctaDre wrote:why are you guys worried about owning a closer for the worst team in baseball? they might win once a week. Doubt who ever is closing will be useful to ANY fantasy team.

My leagues have saves as a category and they aren't easy to come by.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:06 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:

Heath Bell says hi.

Lol exactly. You don't have to be on the best team to have a top closer, actually I would rather a ball club thats middle of the road, but more so you look at Save Opps, not W-L. Baltimore Save Opps: 2009-53, 2008-60, 2007-55. Also to top it off, remember in 2005 when Nathan blew up with a 7-4 record and 43 saves, well look at save opps, the Twins had 60 Save Opps and Baltimore was only 3 behind with 57. Even tho a team sucks it doesn't mean that their closer has no value, if hes good enough and gets a valid number of opps anything is possible.

bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates