Mike Gonzalez *UPDATE* Going to see Andrews for 2nd Opinion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Mike Gonzalez *UPDATE* Going to see Andrews for 2nd Opinion

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mike Gonzalez *UPDATE* Going to see Andrews for 2nd Opinion

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:58 pm

So I realize Gonzalez's job is farely safe in Baltimore, but exactly how safe do we all figure? Blew his 2nd save in his 3rd Save Opp of the year today.

So far on the year we are looking at a line consisting of: 2IP, 5H, 4BB, 3K, 4ER but worst of all 0-2 with 1SV. I know everyone is saying his job is safe, but I have to remember back to when Sherill was there and doing a pretty decent job (hell of a lot better then Mike thus far) and there were so many talks of Jim Johnson taking that role, so how long, or better yet, how many more shaky showings from Gonzalez before we may see Johnson?
Last edited by bazzy_51 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mike Gonzalez 2/3 in the wrong category

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:16 am

bazzy_51 wrote:So I realize Gonzalez's job is farely safe in Baltimore, but exactly how safe do we all figure? Blew his 2nd save in his 3rd Save Opp of the year today.

So far on the year we are looking at a line consisting of: 2IP, 5H, 4BB, 3K, 4ER but worst of all 0-2 with 1SV. I know everyone is saying his job is safe, but I have to remember back to when Sherill was there and doing a pretty decent job (hell of a lot better then Mike thus far) and there were so many talks of Jim Johnson taking that role, so how long, or better yet, how many more shaky showings from Gonzalez before we may see Johnson?

I grabbed up Johnson in most of my leagues. When the dust settles a bit I may drop him of course, but for now with this mess I'm glad to have him before anyone else reads a "Gonzo loses job" news flash.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mcd285 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:07 pm

Per Rotoworld...

Orioles closer Mike Gonzalez, who already has two blown saves this year, will be unavailable for the next two games.

The O's might keep him from high-pressure situations altogether for a week or so, with Jim Johnson serving as closer. Gonzalez still has the gig, and should remained owned in all fantasy formats, but he's struggling mightily and some media members have suggested that he might be hurt.
mcd285
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MorseOverTaveras » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:48 am

Stats wise, johnson doesn't really look like closer material...but i understand that that maybe all the O's have...dark horse starter koji uaehara coming back from the dl and slides into closer spot? I wouldn't rule this out, since koji was a closer back in japan
MorseOverTaveras
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby pangbones » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:26 am

Koji was set to be used out of the pen this year, so that is a possibility. His only problem is staying healthy. A real dark horse is Kam Mickolio, who is currently in AAA, but has shown the ability to miss a lot of bats. He also misses the zone a lot too, so this may be a stretch. I don't think Gonzalez is anywhere close to losing his job.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Koji was set to be used out of the pen this year, so that is a possibility. His only problem is staying healthy. A real dark horse is Kam Mickolio, who is currently in AAA, but has shown the ability to miss a lot of bats. He also misses the zone a lot too, so this may be a stretch. I don't think Gonzalez is anywhere close to losing his job.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:34 pm

I also do still like Chris Ray as a darkhorse pick out of that pen. Kind of a screwy situation, you have to believe that Gonzo will keep the job even with his struggles, but they do have ample arms in that pen that either have closer experience or have potential closer material.

Very cloudy, only own Gonzo in one league as a late round selection as a 3rd-4th relief arm, still would like that late round pick to carry big value.

bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby mikerobbjk » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:03 pm

uhhh...Chris Ray pitches for Texas now.
mikerobbjk
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:14 pm

mikerobbjk wrote:uhhh...Chris Ray pitches for Texas now.

Thats my bad, was actually answering the Francisco thread at the same time. Meant to say Jason Berken as my darkhorse for Baltimore, hes had a tough road to the majors and isn't OVERWHELMING, but has good command, has a 4 and even 5 pitch arrsenel (2 curve balls) and can pitch anywhere sidetoside, up and down. Maybe a bit of a stretch over both Gonzo and Johnson, but something to watch if you own Gonzalez.

bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates