What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball?

Postby WickedSmaat » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:20 pm

thejusman1 wrote:
WickedSmaat wrote:So you're telling me come Friday, you have 2 starts left, and you're close in Ks and Ws, but still losing that you just basically give up and not add guys to try to win those cats? I mean that's the premise of H2H, is to win the category for that week. If adding 4 starts gives me a better shot at doing, why would that be a bad strategy/unethical? You're basically handcuffing yourself.

I think it's an unwritten rule to NOT change any rules during the season. You all should know what you can and can't do within the limits of the league BEFORE you draft. Max innings/Max moves/Max starts all counter this, if your league doesn't have it, you better use that opportunity when it arrives.

Yeah, that's bush league. So your starters failed to get the amount of Ks and Ws necessary to win the week, so you're dumping them to chase those stats? Completely bush league.

I don't agree. It's a trade off and a risk. I shouldn't give my opponent any categories in the week if I have the chance to still win those. I'll take that opportunity every time. I'm not saying I do it every week, but when it presents itself hell yeah I do. I guess I don't see the logic in giving up a category because of pride in the "integrity of the game".

But to put it in perspective, I don't play in any league that doesn't have any counters to limit this to an extent (Losses, max innings, max moves) so when I do it's within the limits. If you're not getting the most out of your team every week, then you need to find a way to do it. You don't want to leave anything on the table.

And even if you're league doesn't have any counters to it, you still better be doing it if you have a chance at winning one more category.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:51 pm

kab21 wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:1. my short answer is NO for the regular season.
I've written down all my reasons, but this would be a very long post and I dont really wanna pollute this thread with that. I can PM it if you want it.
2. I might do that for the last week of the season. But the other team would do that as well. The ones in the finals are not quitters. So lets be honest, since everybody is cutting players in the final week for starters, you are kinda forced to do that. So it is not like would I, but more like who blinks first. Unless there is a rule against that. Or you just surrender.
Since surrendering is not an option for me ever, I would do it, if the other guy starts streaming, and either I would try to get the comish to enforce an anti-stream rule next year or I would probably quit the league.
But I think we can agree on that, that if something is forced, then that is not by choice.
What we talkin about here is Streaming by choice.
3. NO again. I've been there and didnt do it.
4. YES. But its written in one of my H2H leagues where Im the Comish :-D

BTW its rather rare to have 12 starts the first 4 days and only 2 the last 3 days. I dont think thats ever happened to me.

Wait a second. I never said anything about the other guy doing it. I said that YOU would be two starts short of the starts limit for the week. And the only way for you to win is to stream a couple of pitchers and it is allowed in the league rules. And let's say that your opponent isn't doing it but other members in your league are.

You did.
kab21 wrote:You didn't really understand his example. He's saying that you have used 12 out of 14 of your weekly game starts but you don't have any pitchers left unless you go to the waiver wire (to stream). Do you do it if you are really close to winning the week? do you do it in the playoffs? Do you only do it if you're opponent is doing it? Or do you stick to your unwritten rule of no streaming?

and I answered, what if noone does it.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thejusman1 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:03 pm

There's no risk involved if you're already behind in ERA/WHIP. If my rotation handily beats yours Monday through Saturday night, we both have no starters going Sunday night, and you drop 3 bench players or back-end starters to spam more Ws and Ks for Sunday night what am I going to do? I'm certainly NOT going to dump my bench players or back-end rotation guys because I feel every player on my team has more value than those FA/WW options, who are usually trash. I'm completely handicapped from making any moves to prevent your bush league tactics. Getting an extra start here and there through normal drop/adds isn't the end of the world. Having an owner consistently stream 2-3 starters on the basis you described is pretty weak.

None of the leagues I play in allow unlimited streaming. One records losses and extra ratio categories to severely curtail the habit, another has drop/add limits per week, and the last one that is a roto has a maximum IP limit. I guess one of the main reasons I despise public leagues that operate without such rules in place is that people who think like you do are so prevalent. I'm of the mindset that you're trying to construct the best TEAM possible, and pick ups or drops are made to better your overall team. I think it's a cheap tactic to keep a few dispensable roster spots for the sole purpose of streaming. As somebody else noted in this thread, and I wholeheartedly agree with, the entire FA pool is not an extension of your team.

Last point - to all these people saying, "if you don't want streamers in your league, have rules in place to prevent it," - yes, that has merit. But observe the title of the thread - "What are the 'Unwritten rules' of Fantasy Baseball?"
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby WickedSmaat » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:29 pm

thejusman1 wrote:There's no risk involved if you're already behind in ERA/WHIP. If my rotation handily beats yours Monday through Saturday night, we both have no starters going Sunday night, and you drop 3 bench players or back-end starters to spam more Ws and Ks for Sunday night what am I going to do? I'm certainly NOT going to dump my bench players or back-end rotation guys because I feel every player on my team has more value than those FA/WW options, who are usually trash. I'm completely handicapped from making any moves, to prevent your bush league tactics. Getting an extra start here and there through normal drop/adds isn't the end of the world. Having an owner consistently stream 2-3 starters on the basis you described is pretty weak.

To each his own. If you're into losing categories be my guest.

None of the leagues I play in allow unlimited streaming. One records losses and extra ratio categories to severely curtail the habit, another has drop/add limits per week, and the last one that is a roto has a maximum IP limit. I guess one of the main reasons I despise public leagues that operate without such rules in place is that people who think like you do are so prevalent. I'm of the mindset that you're trying to construct the best TEAM possible, and pick ups or drops are made to better your overall team. I think it's a cheap tactic to keep a few dispensable roster spots for the sole purpose of streaming. As somebody else noted in this thread, and I wholeheartedly agree with, the entire FA pool is not an extension of your team.

The funniest thing about this is, you're partially right. Your statement should be this - "I'm trying to construct the best TEAM to accumulate the best STATS." And if that means getting a few more wins/ks to have a better chance of winning the week, why not? You're goal is to win, not be the most respectable owner, because last I heard that wasn't a category necessary to win a league.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biesbol » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Regarding the OP, I think that 7 pages of debate clearly demonstrates that "no streaming" is NOT one of the unwritten rules of fantasy.

though, I would think that it is fair to say that one of the unwritten rules is "at least ONE manager in the league must try to exploit a scoring/rules inefficiency" :-D
biesbol
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:21 am

The streaming issue is a very simple one. IT TAKES NO SKILL, KNOWLEGE, or CREATIVITY TO READ WHO THE PROBABLE PITCHERS ARE THAT DAY. play with the team you have. If you are down on saturday by 6 k's and 2 wins and a bunch in ERA and WHIP, that just means the team you have wasn't good enough to win those cats that week.

what you would do in this situation is pick up Ross Ohlendorf and Ian Snell for no other reason than the fact the there is a PP next to their name. You don't need or care to know anything about those pitchers or the team they are playing against. All you care about is "Probable Pitcher".

meanwhile, the team you are playing against is legitimately kicking your ass in 4 cats and deserves to do so because their team is better than yours.

but you are going to try and cheat the system and pretend like everyone on the waiver wire is a part of your team. HOW DO YOU SEE ANY SKILL IN THAT? I believe the word nauseating was used earlier. I think thats a great way to describe it.

The waiver wire is there because players get better and worse and falter and emerge over the season. drop your failing players for new up and commers. DO NOT USE THE WAIVER WIRE AS YOUR OWN PERSONAL EXTENDED BENCH.

absolutely NAUSEATING!

I don't even know why I'm still in this post, if you can't see how this is a complete lack of integrity and how you are completely screwing the guys that are trying to play with the team they have, then I'm just glad that you are not in my league..

but thats probably your issue.. you only look at how this crap helps you and you only, and you do not see how you are screwing your leaguemates and how you are personally responsible for bringing down the quality of your league. streaming is a selfish move.

that is why, even if there is no written rule in place, 'don't stream' is one of fantasy baseballs "UNWRITTEN RULES"
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:54 am

lastingsgriller wrote:The streaming issue is a very simple one. IT TAKES NO SKILL, KNOWLEGE, or CREATIVITY TO READ WHO THE PROBABLE PITCHERS ARE THAT DAY. play with the team you have. If you are down on saturday by 6 k's and 2 wins and a bunch in ERA and WHIP, that just means the team you have wasn't good enough to win those cats that week.

meanwhile, the team you are playing against is legitimately kicking your ass in 4 cats and deserves to do so because their team is better than yours.

but you are going to try and cheat the system and pretend like everyone on the waiver wire is a part of your team. HOW DO YOU SEE ANY SKILL IN THAT? I believe the word nauseating was used earlier. I think thats a great way to describe it.

The waiver wire is there because players get better and worse and falter and emerge over the season. drop your failing players for new up and commers. DO NOT USE THE WAIVER WIRE AS YOUR OWN PERSONAL EXTENDED BENCH.

I agree with you on almost everything, but theres one thing that is not entirely true. I might be losing cause the other manager has 7 guys with 2 starts while I have only 1 or 2, and not because I wasnt good enough to field a better team.
And this is the reason, I was suggesting in another thread, that every matchup in the playoffs should be two weeks. Week 23-24 and week 25-26.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kaiser » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:00 am

lastingsgriller wrote:The streaming issue is a very simple one. IT TAKES NO SKILL, KNOWLEGE, or CREATIVITY TO READ WHO THE PROBABLE PITCHERS ARE THAT DAY. play with the team you have. If you are down on saturday by 6 k's and 2 wins and a bunch in ERA and WHIP, that just means the team you have wasn't good enough to win those cats that week.

Actually, I think if you are down at the end of the last game on Sunday by 6k's, 2 wins and a bunch in ERA and WHIP, then it means that the team you fielded wasn't good enough to win that week.

Until that point, I would expect anyone who was trying to win to do whatever they could, within the scope of the league rules, to win. The only thing that would destroy the competitive integrity of the league, would be to say, "oh well, my team wasn't good enough this week," and to quit on Saturday if they are behind in a few categories.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:16 am

lastingsgriller wrote:The streaming issue is a very simple one. IT TAKES NO SKILL, KNOWLEGE, or CREATIVITY TO READ WHO THE PROBABLE PITCHERS ARE THAT DAY. play with the team you have.

It takes very little skill to know how CC Sabathia will pitch this year. Projecting stats isn't very hard, in fact its simple, and extremely accurate projections are freely available on the web if you don't have the time to do it yourself. Skill comes in crafting a team to match the league settings. If you have the option of getting free pitching from the wire throughout the season, and you use mid-level picks on 4th and 5th SPs that you can't drop, then you've handicapped yourself, as well as weakened your hitting. Flexibility is important. The decision at the draft to forgo drafting too many SPs and balancing your offense while getting superior hitting that won't be available on the wire is the skill; spot starting is the easy part. What you're suggesting is akin to playing poker without looking at all of your cards. Sure, its harder to play that way, but why would you want to?
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby kaiser » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:22 am

Skin Blues wrote:It takes very little skill to know how CC Sabathia will pitch this year. Projecting stats isn't very hard, in fact its simple, and extremely accurate projections are freely available on the web if you don't have the time to do it yourself. Skill comes in crafting a team to match the league settings. If you have the option of getting free pitching from the wire throughout the season, and you use mid-level picks on 4th and 5th SPs that you can't drop, then you've handicapped yourself, as well as weakened your hitting. Flexibility is important. The decision at the draft to forgo drafting too many SPs and balancing your offense while getting superior hitting that won't be available on the wire is the skill; spot starting is the easy part. What you're suggesting is akin to playing poker without looking at all of your cards. Sure, its harder to play that way, but why would you want to?

Holy mackerel. That is a perfect articulation of my thoughts on this.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers