What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball?

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:35 pm

altmizzle wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:

Well that is wrong.

I was talking on a much much smaller basis. I remember last year Blanton had a start against the Marlins during the championship week. I picked him up and activated the waiver process on him because my competitor was sport starting pitchers.

Blanton ended up going 7IP 0ER 9K that game for the W. I couldn't have been more proud of myself.

And I can compare the two because they both have the word Waiver in them. EDIT: forgot the ;-7 to that statement

your opponent should not be spot starting pitchers. This is a clear unwritten rule of fantasy baseball. it's blatent cheating. the entire waiver wire is not part of your roster. streaming pitchers to get extra starts is just dirty. play with the roster you have. if you use the waiver wire, do so for the reason that you think a player on the wire is better than one of your own. not because he is starting tonight. It does not take skill to predict which pitchers are starting tonight. this cheapens the game.

Alright, I admit, I do this. But, I didn't realize this was an unwritten rule. Is it pretty universally thought of as "blatant cheating"? When playing in my H2H league, if I have a few weak pitchers, I don't see a problem spot starting. It still requires some manner of research. If you scout a good match up in advance, grab that pitcher and get a good line, nice job. If you do a poor scouting job and get burned, that's a risk you take also. I don't really consider it streaming because I don't attempt to have a full slate of starting pitchers going each day, I just look for what might be good match ups and if I can't find any, I roll with what I have. My 'moves' total is generally not too much higher than anyone else's by the end of the season. Most importantly, no one in my league has complained about it.

I am sorry. I have misused some terms and created some confusion. Spot starting pitchers is quite alright. a crafty move by a crafty owner that has put some thought into what he is doing. What I was referring to was "streaming" or "day trading" which is just picking up and dropping pitchers to try and get the most starts possible. this takes no thought whatsoever. My apoligies.. ;-)
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mkultra » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:37 pm

altmizzle wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:your opponent should not be spot starting pitchers. This is a clear unwritten rule of fantasy baseball. it's blatent cheating. the entire waiver wire is not part of your roster. streaming pitchers to get extra starts is just dirty. play with the roster you have. if you use the waiver wire, do so for the reason that you think a player on the wire is better than one of your own. not because he is starting tonight. It does not take skill to predict which pitchers are starting tonight. this cheapens the game.

Alright, I admit, I do this. But, I didn't realize this was an unwritten rule. Is it pretty universally thought of as "blatant cheating"? When playing in my H2H league, if I have a few weak pitchers, I don't see a problem spot starting. It still requires some manner of research. If you scout a good match up in advance, grab that pitcher and get a good line, nice job. If you do a poor scouting job and get burned, that's a risk you take also. I don't really consider it streaming because I don't attempt to have a full slate of starting pitchers going each day, I just look for what might be good match ups and if I can't find any, I roll with what I have. My 'moves' total is generally not too much higher than anyone else's by the end of the season. Most importantly, no one in my league has complained about it.

It's not cheating, nor is it even an unwritten rule. If you pick up a player for a single start (note, this is "streaming", not "spot starting"), you are:

A) Dropping a player back into the pool
B) Risking hurting your team if the pitcher gets blown up. If the pitcher is in the FA pool, the odds of this happening aren't small.

In my weekly H2H league, managers do this ALL THE TIME for two-start pitchers.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby pelotero » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:44 pm

In a 14 team h2h CBS league I've been in for a long time, we just enacted a rule that if you have a RP/SP Player, and he is an authentic SP, you will not start him in the RP position just to get another 1-2 starts. This will cause the Team to have a -20 point deduction for that week. RP is a RP and SP is a SP. We also adjusted the Saves points.

We had several Managers use this last year and they drafted all RP/SP's and practically got 8-12 starts a week vs. 5-6. So far we are all good.

In another CBS random league we have a manager that is doing the RP/SP thing. What I am going to do to counter that is Pick up every SP/RP on friday and drop him a minute later so it can trigger a Waiver Claim. :-D
"Born with a glove"
pelotero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:50 pm

mkultra wrote:
altmizzle wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:your opponent should not be spot starting pitchers. This is a clear unwritten rule of fantasy baseball. it's blatent cheating. the entire waiver wire is not part of your roster. streaming pitchers to get extra starts is just dirty. play with the roster you have. if you use the waiver wire, do so for the reason that you think a player on the wire is better than one of your own. not because he is starting tonight. It does not take skill to predict which pitchers are starting tonight. this cheapens the game.

It's not cheating, nor is it even an unwritten rule. If you pick up a player for a single start (note, this is "streaming", not "spot starting"), you are:

B) Risking hurting your team if the pitcher gets blown up. If the pitcher is in the FA pool, the odds of this happening aren't small.

1. do you set rosters daily or weekly?
-If it's daily then people can just have a revloving door with 3 or 4 pitchers spots and just keep picking up probable pitchers every day. they for-go ERA and WHIP every week because they are guarenteed Wins and K's, by having 3+ pitchers starting every day.

This does not take talent, skill, or knowledge.

It gets really annoying when people do this only on weeks when they have a pitcher or two blow up on monday or tuesday so they try to hedge their losses by streaming pitchers.. so bush league..
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:07 pm

kab21 wrote:An unwritten rule for me is to not accept a proposed trade (by another owner) if my player gets hurt. that's kind of underhanded.

Agreed.

Churning and legal/full lineups are things that should really be written into the rules, imo.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby great gretzky » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:22 pm

um no. Spot Starting is picking up a specific pitcher either because he has a tasty matchup, or in a head to head league, a decent pitcher with two starts. Streaming it just funneling all available pitchers in an effort to crush wins, k's saves, and not worry about the ratios.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby thejusman1 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:41 pm

Yeah, there is a remarkable difference between spot-starting and streaming.

Spot-starting, you're gaining at most 1 or 2 starts a week. You're using one roster spot, which if occupied by an SP, would give you 1-2 starts anyway. You're just being intelligent about it and scouting desirable match-ups. It's not busch league, it's actually a pretty smart way to play the game instead of having one low-end SP at the back-end of your rotation you rarely start anyway.

With streaming, you are using one or more roster spots to add a new pitcher EVERY DAY. You could gain upwards of 7 starts a week out of ONE spot, maybe 14 more starts if you use 2 roster spots. That is completely busch league, and I hope people see why.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby altmizzle » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:29 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
mkultra wrote:
altmizzle wrote:

1. do you set rosters daily or weekly?
-If it's daily then people can just have a revloving door with 3 or 4 pitchers spots and just keep picking up probable pitchers every day. they for-go ERA and WHIP every week because they are guarenteed Wins and K's, by having 3+ pitchers starting every day.

This does not take talent, skill, or knowledge.

It gets really annoying when people do this only on weeks when they have a pitcher or two blow up on monday or tuesday so they try to hedge their losses by streaming pitchers.. so bush league..

Rosters are set daily. But, as others have said, there's a big difference in picking up all the pitchers that are playing on a given day and just picking up one or two per week that have a nice match up.
altmizzle
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:36 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Yeah, there is a remarkable difference between spot-starting and streaming.

Spot-starting, you're gaining at most 1 or 2 starts a week. You're using one roster spot, which if occupied by an SP, would give you 1-2 starts anyway. You're just being intelligent about it and scouting desirable match-ups. It's not busch league, it's actually a pretty smart way to play the game instead of having one low-end SP at the back-end of your rotation you rarely start anyway.

With streaming, you are using one or more roster spots to add a new pitcher EVERY DAY. You could gain upwards of 7 starts a week out of ONE spot, maybe 14 more starts if you use 2 roster spots. That is completely busch league, and I hope people see why.

In my league last year it sort of an unwritten rule amongst friends that there would be no streaming. One team decided to, having about 3 moves a day. They had to put a cap on the amount of acquisitions because of it. Not a fan of changing rules a few weeks into the season, but it would have ruined the league. Spot pitching is fine, streaming very unethical
10 team,H2H,5x5
C-Montero
1B-A.Gonzalez
2B-Utley
3B-Longoria
SS-Reyes
1B/3B-Morneau
2b/SS-K.Jonhson
OF-J.Upton,CarGo,Pierre
UTL-Rasmus
P-Hamels,Nolasco,W.Rodriguez,Garza,Wagner,Aardsma
BN-Span,Slowey,Liriano,E.Santana,Gregg, Pelfrey, Street
DL-B. Anderson
sadlyajetsfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby saemick » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:41 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Yeah, there is a remarkable difference between spot-starting and streaming.

I had this happen to me in the championship weeks last year. The guy I was playing basically left an open spot on his roster and picked up a different SP (or 2) each day with the best matchup just so he could try to win at K's, W, etc... In the last week, he even resorted to dropping GOOD pitchers b/c they were done for the fantasy season and replaced them with someone who would get him another start...

I was actually forced to look ahead to see who was pitching 2 days out, grab them, and immediately drop them, just so he would STOP streaming. Normally I would never just pick someone up, only to drop them, but when it's the only way to block someone else from basically cheating to win the championship...it kinda forces your hand.

BTW, this year we have instilled a new rule where we have a limit of 3 player adds per week, this should hopefuly curtail this practice
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers