What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball?

Postby great gretzky » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:28 pm

Well if that is the case, then we are discussing something different. Some people pick up a player and don't keep said player for more than the minute it takes to pick up the other player, and so on, so the waivers are all full.

If you are rostering the player, then that is different.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:30 pm

Ya man, you got to keep a player on your team for a day for them to hit waivers. Sometimes its completely worth it and it is completely ethical because your team gets penalized for it (losing a viable roster spt).

I wasn't letting that clown spot start the great DaSh 1s to death. ;-D
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby great gretzky » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:31 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:Ya man, you got to keep a player on your team for a day for them to hit waivers. Sometimes its completely worth it. I wasn't letting that clown spot start me to death. ;-D

Yea. Previsouly, you didn't have to -- which is what I was getting at. Some sites still function like that. I saw a league where down the stretch, one guy would jus tpick up and drop all the probable starters, so no one could get them. That is what I am talking about.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby kaiser » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:35 pm

great gretzky wrote:What you did is different from what I am arguing. You still kept the person and gave up something of value of your own. But people do sometimes leave an open roster spot, then pick up and drop all the relevant spot starters (and football defenses) so that by the time the waivers clear, the fantasy week or the pitcher's start has passed. It might seem the same, but fundamentally different.

Okay, that is a different scenario form what I was envisioning, and I would have a harder time finding that acceptable. Of course, it is still costing a roster spot. But to do it as a season-long strategy is a little more tough to support.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 320)

Postby kaiser » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:38 pm

Can I reboot the thread by offering another unwritten rule:

You don't enter a league, and then just draft players from teams you like, such as all Yankees or all Dodgers.

Maybe that is a lame addition to the list, but I'm trying to steer this conversation back to the original topic.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 320)

Postby great gretzky » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:41 pm

kaiser wrote:
great gretzky wrote:What you did is different from what I am arguing. You still kept the person and gave up something of value of your own. But people do sometimes leave an open roster spot, then pick up and drop all the relevant spot starters (and football defenses) so that by the time the waivers clear, the fantasy week or the pitcher's start has passed. It might seem the same, but fundamentally different.

Okay, that is a different scenario form what I was envisioning, and I would have a harder time finding that acceptable. Of course, it is still costing a roster spot. But to do it as a season-long strategy is a little more tough to support.

But you are using one spot to control several players. Anyway, I think we got to the point of that.

What about throwing so many trade offers at a team so other offers can't come in? Doesn't yahoo have a limit to how many trades could be posted?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:55 pm

in our league, we dispise all such nonsense. play right, don't try to cheat the system.. to combat this we've implemented the following rule in our league charter. try it in your league, it can eliminate some controversy..

"Day Trading

Day trading (adding a player in the last days of a matchup in order to try to catch up/win categories) is not allowed.

In 2009 this is being regulated by the commissioner. IF necessary, a more formal rule will be implemented prior to 2010 with league input welcomed as far as how the rule should be constructed.

NOTE 1 (est. 2010): If you add a pitcher, either a SP or RP, on Friday or later in an existing matchup, you may not put that pitcher in your starting lineup until the following weeks matchup unless you're replacing an injured player that was scheduled to start Friday, Saturday, or Sunday or replacing an injured reliever. Will be enforced by the teams involved in the matchup."
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby LMack » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:17 pm

jsphlly wrote:Don't throw garbage trades at the new guy.

Most educational experience and the thing that got me more interested in fantasy baseball was being the new guy accepting garbage trades. Its all part of the game.
Go Jay Bruce. Credits to Super Manny.
LMack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mkultra » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:00 pm

kab21 wrote:An unwritten rule for me is to not accept a proposed trade (by another owner) if my player gets hurt. that's kind of underhanded.

Corollary: Don't shotgun a bunch of trade offers involving a player who just got hurt, hoping someone hasn't seen the news yet. Yes, yes, it's the responsibility of owners to be up-to-date, but that's just a dick move.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 38)

Postby altmizzle » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:29 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:
great gretzky wrote:You could churn 40 or 50 players in fantasy, but real-life teams are bound by payroll and roster spots.

Well that is wrong.

I was talking on a much much smaller basis. I remember last year Blanton had a start against the Marlins during the championship week. I picked him up and activated the waiver process on him because my competitor was sport starting pitchers.

Blanton ended up going 7IP 0ER 9K that game for the W. I couldn't have been more proud of myself.

And I can compare the two because they both have the word Waiver in them. EDIT: forgot the ;-7 to that statement

your opponent should not be spot starting pitchers. This is a clear unwritten rule of fantasy baseball. it's blatent cheating. the entire waiver wire is not part of your roster. streaming pitchers to get extra starts is just dirty. play with the roster you have. if you use the waiver wire, do so for the reason that you think a player on the wire is better than one of your own. not because he is starting tonight. It does not take skill to predict which pitchers are starting tonight. this cheapens the game.

Alright, I admit, I do this. But, I didn't realize this was an unwritten rule. Is it pretty universally thought of as "blatant cheating"? When playing in my H2H league, if I have a few weak pitchers, I don't see a problem spot starting. It still requires some manner of research. If you scout a good match up in advance, grab that pitcher and get a good line, nice job. If you do a poor scouting job and get burned, that's a risk you take also. I don't really consider it streaming because I don't attempt to have a full slate of starting pitchers going each day, I just look for what might be good match ups and if I can't find any, I roll with what I have. My 'moves' total is generally not too much higher than anyone else's by the end of the season. Most importantly, no one in my league has complained about it.
altmizzle
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers