What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball?

Postby thejusman1 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:48 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
kaiser wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
Well that's just silly.
You're severely limiting yourself by not breaking an imaginary rule.

I don't understand it either, but he seems pretty convinced of his logic. I never would have guessed that something so commonplace would inspire such vitriol.

you will understand once you start looking out for the common good of the league instead of focusing soley on the success of your individual team. It makes me wonder if you "streamers" are actually playing in competitive league with people you know and there is a matter of pride involved or if you just play in random money leagues (or worse, random public yahoo leagues) where you could care less about the end outcome of the league and the long term success and joy of the league and ALL of it's members.

Pretty much this. There's more to fantasy than just winning, especially when you play with friends or co-workers.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:49 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
kaiser wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
Well that's just silly.
You're severely limiting yourself by not breaking an imaginary rule.

I don't understand it either, but he seems pretty convinced of his logic. I never would have guessed that something so commonplace would inspire such vitriol.

you will understand once you start looking out for the common good of the league instead of focusing soley on the success of your individual team. It makes me wonder if you "streamers" are actually playing in competitive league with people you know and there is a matter of pride involved or if you just play in random money leagues (or worse, random public yahoo leagues) where you could care less about the end outcome of the league and the long term success and joy of the league and ALL of it's members.

But Lastings, until there is a rule saying you can't do it, you should try as many angles as you can to win. Putting up "moral roadblocks" is as lame to me as streaming is to you.

I've only streamed once in my "career" and that was last year when one of my (cafe league) team's pitching staffs turned to pudding. I really didn't enjoy it. So you can't exactly lump me in as a "streamer".
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby kaiser » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:49 pm

biesbol wrote:3. do not keep players on your DL who have been activated

This one is interesting. I've done it before when I needed the roster space for a few days... anyone else? We haven't had any good "ethics of fantasy baseball" debates around here lately.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby DaSh 1s » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:52 pm

AussieDodger wrote:I've only streamed once in my "career" and that was last year when one of my (cafe league) team's pitching staffs turned to pudding. I really didn't enjoy it. So you can't exactly lump me in as a "streamer".

Sounds like streaming.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:53 pm

kaiser wrote:
biesbol wrote:3. do not keep players on your DL who have been activated

This one is interesting. I've done it before when I needed the roster space for a few days... anyone else? We haven't had any good "ethics of fantasy baseball" debates around here lately.

Until you get the red writing telling you you have an illegal roster, it's fair game IMO.
Everybody has the same opportunity with their DLed players.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jackie hayes » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:56 pm

AussieDodger wrote:I've only streamed once in my "career" and that was last year when one of my (cafe league) team's pitching staffs turned to pudding. I really didn't enjoy it. So you can't exactly lump me in as a "streamer".

I tried it once, a couple years ago. It sucks. Whatever it may lack in 'skill', it makes up for in work. Takes way too much time to be worth it for me.

But since streaming even once is apparently on the level of punching someone's mother, I'd say we're both branded as streamers and destined for the 9th circle.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:58 pm

I'm not really in agreement here that it's unethical to stream or churn pitchers or players if your league allows it. What if this is the general consensus among the league members that this is how the game is played? More power to them. That's how some leagues like to get down, and far be it from me to harp on them.

That said, I simply wouldn't play in a league where steps haven't been taken to make 'strategies' like these null and void. It wouldn't be a question of ethics, rather simply playing in a league that requires a different set of skills (in my opinion, more advanced ones; I think a monkey could stream and churn their way to a strong finish if league settings allowed it) to be successful. Things like GP limits, IP limits, and Add/Drop limits are designed to allow the cream to rise to the top, as opposed to the most active manager. In fact, any constraint or modification made for a league should be implemented with that thought in mind.

On a somewhat related note, y'all are getting way too hyped about all of this.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:04 pm

bigh0rt wrote: y'all

8-o X-I
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jackie hayes » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:08 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I'm not really in agreement here that it's unethical to stream or churn pitchers or players if your league allows it. What if this is the general consensus among the league members that this is how the game is played? More power to them. That's how some leagues like to get down, and far be it from me to harp on them.

That said, I simply wouldn't play in a league where steps haven't been taken to make 'strategies' like these null and void. It wouldn't be a question of ethics, rather simply playing in a league that requires a different set of skills (in my opinion, more advanced ones; I think a monkey could stream and churn their way to a strong finish if league settings allowed it) to be successful. Things like GP limits, IP limits, and Add/Drop limits are designed to allow the cream to rise to the top, as opposed to the most active manager. In fact, any constraint or modification made for a league should be implemented with that thought in mind.

On a somewhat related note, y'all are getting way too hyped about all of this.

Personally, I'm ALL for doing everything weekly. Daily lineups, fine, whatever, but weekly rosters and weekly transactions are best, imo. It doesn't take skill to pick up a setup guy when a closer goes down, and it always seemed cheap that people at work who are blocked from fantasy just get the scraps. (Despite the fact that this probably benefited me in most of my leagues, most years.) But for some reason, I've always found that most people hate the idea of weekly transactions.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:09 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
bigh0rt wrote: y'all

8-o X-I

methinks he's trying to disguise his being a Mets fan
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers