What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball?

Postby ayebatter » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:28 am

1. Never take h2h leagues too seriously.
2. Never play h2h leagues for $.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1280)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biesbol » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:43 am

ayebatter wrote:2. Never play h2h leagues for $.

considering that many people play h2h for $$$, and the growing popularity of h2h, I would hardly say that this is an "unwritten rule".

several I have thought about:
1. do not collude
2. do not own multiple teams in the same league
3. do not keep players on your DL who have been activated
4. DO check your team at least once a week
5. DO respond to trade offers
6. do not waive your entire team in some childish protest to a trade
biesbol
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby thejusman1 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:01 pm

/thread.

There's just no point in trying to convince guys like Kaiser, WickedSmaat, and other streamers that streaming is an unethical tactic. If you don't see how spamming more starts at the end of week is bush league through our numerous, illustrative examples, then it's hopeless to try and convince any of you any further. I just thank God I'm not in any of your leagues, because your style of playing would infuriate/disgust me. Not everyone here will do anything it takes to win, that's the whole freaking point. If I'm losing on a Saturday night to a staff which had two-start weeks by Greinke/Halladay... guess what, I'll TAKE the loss, because my team wasn't good enough. It's ONE week in a long season, and two-start weeks come and go. Some weeks, I'll have the advantage in # of starts, other weeks my opponent will. If there's a guy going on Sunday who I honestly think will better my team in the long-run, I will add him and gain an extra start, but I'm not keeping disposable roster spots to do this repeatedly throughout the year.

Just because streaming is possible under your league settings doesn't make it ethical. Realize you are employing a cheap, widely-criticized tactic, and take whatever satisfaction you can in your hollow victories in which you spam 30 starts in a week with crappy, WW pitchers to iron out somebody's well-constructed pitching staff. Bravo, your Sunday night trio of Brian Bannister, Dontrelle Willis, and Nate Robertson ironed out my W/K margin of victory. You absolutely deserve to win these categories because you have such astounding strategic insight to keep disposable roster spots on your team for this exact purpose. %-6 %-6
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DaSh 1s » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:04 pm

thejusman1 FTW.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:08 pm

thejusman1 wrote: If I'm losing on a Saturday night to a staff which had two-start weeks by Greinke/Halladay... guess what, I'll TAKE the loss, because my team wasn't good enough. It's ONE week in a long season, and two-start weeks come and go.

Well that's just silly.
You're severely limiting yourself by not breaking an imaginary rule.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:28 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:thejusman1 FTW.

;-D - I thought I did a pretty good job of saying it myself. I've been one-upped by thejusman1.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby ayebatter » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:31 pm

biesbol wrote:
ayebatter wrote:2. Never play h2h leagues for $.

considering that many people play h2h for $$$, and the growing popularity of h2h, I would hardly say that this is an "unwritten rule".

How can you justify your negative response to #2, without giving a negative response to #1. :-?
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1280)

Postby kaiser » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:33 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
thejusman1 wrote: If I'm losing on a Saturday night to a staff which had two-start weeks by Greinke/Halladay... guess what, I'll TAKE the loss, because my team wasn't good enough. It's ONE week in a long season, and two-start weeks come and go.

Well that's just silly.

I don't understand it either, but he seems pretty convinced of his logic. I never would have guessed that something so innocuous would inspire such vitriol.

Funny thing is, I don't employ this tactic. I've never used it. I've never seen anyone use it. Apparently, it must be more commonplace than I ever would have imagined, to inspire this kind of over-the-top response.
Last edited by kaiser on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:42 pm

kaiser wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:

Well that's just silly.

I don't understand it either, but he seems pretty convinced of his logic. I never would have guessed that something so commonplace would inspire such vitriol.

you will understand once you start looking out for the common good of the league instead of focusing soley on the success of your individual team. It makes me wonder if you "streamers" are actually playing in competitive league with people you know and there is a matter of pride involved or if you just play in random money leagues (or worse, random public yahoo leagues) where you could care less about the end outcome of the league and the long term success and joy of the league and ALL of it's members.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby kaiser » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:46 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
you will understand once you start looking out for the common good of the league instead of focusing soley on the success of your individual team. It makes me wonder if you "streamers" are actually playing in competitive league with people you know and there is a matter of pride involved or if you just play in random money leagues (or worse, random public yahoo leagues) where you could care less about the end outcome of the league and the long term success and joy of the league and ALL of it's members.

Perhaps we should all pause to hold hands and sing "Kum-Ba-Ya" now.

Ah yes, the "you must not play in competitive leagues" defense. Has anyone ever heard that one before? :-D
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers