What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What are the "unwritten rules" of fantasy baseball?

Postby ayebatter » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:54 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:I love Waiver churning. Especially in the playoffs when people really try to stream. You can scout a favorable SP matchup two,three day before, and block that a manager from streaming.

In football when your opponents Defense has a Bye, churn up the FA Def to give your self a edge :-L

There are no playoffs in real fantasy baseball, only the fantasy football bastardized version - h2h.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1428)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:07 pm

great gretzky wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:I love Waiver churning. Especially in the playoffs when people really try to stream. You can scout a favorable SP matchup two,three day before, and block that a manager from streaming.

In football when your opponents Defense has a Bye, churn up the FA Def to give your self a edge :-L

I hope this is sarcasm at its finest, because that is just using procedural rules to screw someone.

Yea, letting a trade sit, then taking it when favorable news pops up is Junior Varsity.

Big league clubs claim players off waivers to block them from other clubs ALL THE TIME. They use procedural rules to screw other teams.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:21 pm

Say the Twins and the White Sox are in a dog fight for first place for instance the Phillie's put Roy Halladay on waivers

If Doc clears the National league, you can easily bet that one of Twins or White Sox will put a claim on Halladay (even if they have absolutely no intention of acquiring him) to block their competition from acquiring him.

It's brilliant, and MLB clubs utilize all the time. Teams in a dog fight for the Wild Card, claim waivers on players all the time to prevent them from going to other Wild Card competition.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Merrick65 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:34 pm

kaiser wrote:
thejusman1 wrote:1. Albert Pujols is your Lord and God, and you shall have no other 1B ranked before Pujols.
2. You shall not follow false idols (Emilo Bonafacio, 2009).
3. You shall not make wrongful and impatient drops prematurely.
4. Remember Sunday Night Baseball and watch it.
5. Honor your first 5 picks.
6. You shall not stream.
7. You shall not player churn.
8. You shall not "freeze" your pitching stats in a league with no minimum IP requirement.
9. You shall not bear false witness to your league-mates in order to deceive them into a trade.
10. You shall not covet your league-mates' 1st round pick.

From the Book of Ruth.

By the way, "Commandment #8" is the subject of the debate in that other thread I was talking about.

Would you please post #8 in that other thread where there is a group of shysters that think there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
Merrick65
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby great gretzky » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:40 pm

Big league clubs claim players off waivers to block them from other clubs ALL THE TIME. They use procedural rules to screw other teams.

Your logic is flawed. They then have to pay the person and use up a roster spot. There is no penalty for churning to the team doing it. They do claim the waivers to block, but to compare a complex process in MLB to the one in fantasy is pretty silly. The team putting the player on waivers can rescind the waiver. Not so with fantasy. To compare the two is silly. And teams have a roster limit, so even if they wanted to, they couldn't put in a claim on all existing pitchers (for example) to block not only one other team, but the entire league. You could churn 40 or 50 players in fantasy, but real-life teams are bound by payroll and roster spots.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby great gretzky » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:43 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:Say the Twins and the White Sox are in a dog fight for first place for instance the Phillie's put Roy Halladay on waivers

If Doc clears the National league, you can easily bet that one of Twins or White Sox will put a claim on Halladay (even if they have absolutely no intention of acquiring him) to block their competition from acquiring him.

It's brilliant, and MLB clubs utilize all the time. Teams in a dog fight for the Wild Card, claim waivers on players all the time to prevent them from going to other Wild Card competition.

Yea, provided their claim priority is good enough to do so, which most likely it wouldn't be, the Phillies could still pull it back. Not to mention, that he wouldn't make it out of the National league, and weak teams would put in for him. Then the AL weak teams would do it. The likelihood of two first-place teams having any real effect in that scenario isn't super high, because those teams' priority would be low. So it's kind of not really the same thing. And again, they wouldn't be able to put a wholesale claim on every pitcher put on waivers.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby DaSh 1s » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:47 pm

great gretzky wrote:You could churn 40 or 50 players in fantasy, but real-life teams are bound by payroll and roster spots.

Well that is wrong.

I was talking on a much much smaller basis. I remember last year Blanton had a start against the Marlins during the championship week. I picked him up and activated the waiver process on him because my competitor was sport starting pitchers.

Blanton ended up going 7IP 0ER 9K that game for the W. I couldn't have been more proud of myself.

And I can compare the two because they both have the word Waiver in them. EDIT: forgot the ;-7 to that statement
Last edited by DaSh 1s on Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:49 pm

kab21 wrote:An unwritten rule for me is to not accept a proposed trade (by another owner) if my player gets hurt. that's kind of underhanded.

This is pretty much it for me.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kaiser » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:55 pm

great gretzky wrote:
Your logic is flawed. They then have to pay the person and use up a roster spot. There is no penalty for churning to the team doing it.

Isn't losing your spot in the waiver list a penalty? I mean, I know it's not huge, but in a sense, it will place a limit on how much of this kind of thing you are able to do.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 322)

Postby great gretzky » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:57 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
great gretzky wrote:You could churn 40 or 50 players in fantasy, but real-life teams are bound by payroll and roster spots.

Well that is wrong.

I was talking on a much much smaller basis. I remember last year Blanton had a start against the Marlins during the championship week. I picked him up and activated the waiver process on him because my competitor was sport starting pitchers.

Blanton ended up going 7IP 0ER 9K that game for the W. I couldn't have been more proud of myself.

And I can compare the two because they both have the word Waiver in them.

It's not wrong, churning is be definition plural. And remember this is "unwritten rules." Your rationale for comparison is weak at best. And yes, even in fantasy, if you churn the best 5 spot starts, you are being cheap, because you are essentially exercising control over 5 players your roster space doesn't support. By triggering the waiver process, you are basically using the wire as your bench. You are sitting them down for all intents and purposes, and no one else can have them.

Good thing Yahoo changed the way that works.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers