Interesting Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Interesting Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Interesting Strategy

Postby skjelstrom » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:39 pm

My league's stats are: R, H, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, W, CG, SV, HLD, ERA, WHIP, K/9

It's a little late to do this, but just what are your opinions of my thoughts.

My idea was rank Halladay REALLY high in the draft (maybe hope I get a late draft pick). Essentially Halladay would win or come close to winning the CG category on his own while not killing my other stats(especially with him in Philly now). So if I pick him up then rank closers higher (helping all other stats and hurting other teams) and also find RP with SP eligibility to take the other SP spots that will give me holds, and fill my pitching with closers and relief men. Which gives me a higher chance of success to win all but the Wins category.

Also then, I could take more hitters higher in the draft.

Obviously its too late for this but what do you think?? haha
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 103)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Interesting Strategy

Postby da bears » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:42 pm

I think you'd want to add in one more stud starter and just carry no bench pitchers so you still maintain dominant hitting stats. If you have two sp's that tend to get CG's would give you an outside chance at wins every week as well since you have middle relievers too. This strategy would work out better if the league had losses as a category too.
da bears
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Mighty Trow » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:06 am

I've tried something similar to this -- as have other managers in my league -- when we counted CGs. It met with mixed results, mostly because you're putting stock in far more volatile commodities. Even the best closers and setup men can tank without warning. Also, managers were quick to recognize what was afoot, and the closer player pool shrank faster than anticipated. Basically, you can't count on enough quality closers and setup men being available. What if Manuel decides to put the breaks on Doc's four straight 220+ IP seasons, or God forbid he gets hurt :-o

I've come to the conclusion that in a league with this kind of setup, I want to target skills regardless of role. CGs are a wildcard category - fun to play with, but let others get twisted over it while you draft the best skills available in a balanced rotation and bullpen.
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby fast dogs » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:17 am

the league is certainly set up for something like that to work. not using total # of K's and adding holds certainly could change the way you draft the rest of your roster. even if your pitching is good your offense should be top notch. If you could get a decent spot in wins w/o having to punt the cat; with those settings, it could work
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 304)

Postby Broncmet724 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:45 pm

skjelstrom wrote:My league's stats are: R, H, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, W, CG, SV, HLD, ERA, WHIP, K/9

It's a little late to do this, but just what are your opinions of my thoughts.

My idea was rank Halladay REALLY high in the draft (maybe hope I get a late draft pick). Essentially Halladay would win or come close to winning the CG category on his own while not killing my other stats(especially with him in Philly now). So if I pick him up then rank closers higher (helping all other stats and hurting other teams) and also find RP with SP eligibility to take the other SP spots that will give me holds, and fill my pitching with closers and relief men. Which gives me a higher chance of success to win all but the Wins category.

Also then, I could take more hitters higher in the draft.

Obviously its too late for this but what do you think?? haha

The problem is if you are trying to take closers before everyone then you won't get the best hitters as the best closers go 5th-6th round in a 12 team league usually
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers