Max Moves, does your league use them? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Max Moves, does your league use them?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Max Moves, does your league use them?

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:16 pm

Why is it cheap? It's not as if it's difficult to draft top SPs, so why is it such a "respectable" thing to do, especially when it's not the best way to win? I guess to not be cheap and win solely based on a draft, there wouldn't be any pickups/drops, but rather a long draft with all MLB players drafted. That's actually not a bad idea, and is something I'd be interested in.

A problem a lot of people have though, is they only accept defeat if somebody uses the same strategy they use. Unfortunately for those people, there's usually great value in taking the road less traveled, ie the whole Moneyball technique of exploiting pockets of undervalued talent, from OBA, to defense, and so on. Don't get me wrong, I fully think there should be rules such as minimum IP and deterrents to streaming pitchers... I just don't see the issue with playing within the rules and using creative strategies that stray from the norm. It really seems to irk some people, though.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Why is it cheap? It's not as if it's difficult to draft top SPs, so why is it such a "respectable" thing to do, especially when it's not the best way to win? I guess to not be cheap and win solely based on a draft, there wouldn't be any pickups/drops, but rather a long draft with all MLB players drafted. That's actually not a bad idea, and is something I'd be interested in.

A problem a lot of people have though, is they only accept defeat if somebody uses the same strategy they use. Unfortunately for those people, there's usually great value in taking the road less traveled, ie the whole Moneyball technique of exploiting pockets of undervalued talent, from OBA, to defense, and so on. Don't get me wrong, I fully think there should be rules such as minimum IP and deterrents to streaming pitchers... I just don't see the issue with playing within the rules and using creative strategies that stray from the norm. It really seems to irk some people, though.

It takes more research and difficulty to draft someone in mid-March and accurately predict how they're going to do through the course of the whole year than it does to pick up someone on Sunday and predict how well they're going to do on Thursday.

And for all your grandiose talk about the road less traveled you seem set into avoiding "bastardizing" the normal roto categories which you seem to have found your comfortable little niche in. I explicitly created categories and a league to minimize little loophole finds and cheap little "strategies" and for the past 5 years, nobody has found a way to win other than drafting quality baseball players. I believe that's the sign of successful settings; apparently you disagree.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Yeah, I disagree, and that's cool - if you like the settings and so do your league mates, that's all that matters.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers