Kershaw vs Billingsley - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Kershaw vs Billingsley

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kershaw vs Billingsley

Postby Yanks ftw » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:43 pm

In your standard 5X5 non keeper league, who do you think has better value? Personally i drafted Kershaw in the 8th round of my draft this year while Billingsley was still on the board. But if you compare their first start of the year, Billingsley's performance this afternoon against the Bucs was dazzling over 5 innings while kershaw's was mediocre at the very best. predictions for their respective years?
Yanks ftw
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Kershaw vs Billingsley

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:22 pm

Yanks ftw wrote:In your standard 5X5 non keeper league, who do you think has better value? Personally i drafted Kershaw in the 8th round of my draft this year while Billingsley was still on the board. But if you compare their first start of the year, Billingsley's performance this afternoon against the Bucs was dazzling over 5 innings while kershaw's was mediocre at the very best. predictions for their respective years?

First things first, don't really think this is an exact question to have in the I & P Updates forum.

With that said tho, how can you say Bills was 'dazzling' today? Took him 100+ Pitches just to make it 5IP, and thats as far as he made it 5 and a third IP. He got the W and did K 7, but also walked 4 while giving up 5 hits, his ERA is nice only giving up the 1 ER, but his WHIP equals his ERA at 1.69. This is not to say that he didn't out perform Kershaw (because obviously he did) but two things here:

1. Bills start today was anything but dazzling, it was above average in terms of ER, but average to below average in terms of how he actually pitched.
2. Its one start for each, to say one has more value then the other based on that is, in simple terms, not possible.

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:06 pm

I think their starts were pretty similar. Kershaw just gave up the big 3 run HR and after that wasn't too far off from Billingsley. I see Billingsley having a better season, but both should be fine.
10 team,H2H,5x5
C-Montero
1B-A.Gonzalez
2B-Utley
3B-Longoria
SS-Reyes
1B/3B-Morneau
2b/SS-K.Jonhson
OF-J.Upton,CarGo,Pierre
UTL-Rasmus
P-Hamels,Nolasco,W.Rodriguez,Garza,Wagner,Aardsma
BN-Span,Slowey,Liriano,E.Santana,Gregg, Pelfrey, Street
DL-B. Anderson
sadlyajetsfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thejusman1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:03 pm

Kershaw has the bigger upside, but he's not as far along as Billingsley is, so I think they are both pretty similar pitchers at this point in their careers. Both should be solid no. 2s for your fantasy team, with the upside of low-end no. 1s.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:55 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Kershaw has the bigger upside, but he's not as far along as Billingsley is, so I think they are both pretty similar pitchers at this point in their careers. Both should be solid no. 2s for your fantasy team, with the upside of low-end no. 1s.

I agree. I was hoping to land Billingsley in my league, but it came between him or Nolasco, went with Nolasco. Billingsley was taken the pick after mine :(
10 team,H2H,5x5
C-Montero
1B-A.Gonzalez
2B-Utley
3B-Longoria
SS-Reyes
1B/3B-Morneau
2b/SS-K.Jonhson
OF-J.Upton,CarGo,Pierre
UTL-Rasmus
P-Hamels,Nolasco,W.Rodriguez,Garza,Wagner,Aardsma
BN-Span,Slowey,Liriano,E.Santana,Gregg, Pelfrey, Street