VERY Cheap Roto Tactic - - Will it work? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

VERY Cheap Roto Tactic - - Will it work?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: VERY Cheap Roto Tactic - - Will it work?

Postby great gretzky » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:02 pm

can and should are two entirely different things. I think if it could work, it would be ok to try. The margin for error on something like this is so slim. Say you only took closers and elite ones and no SPs. You get max score in saves, era, whip. 10 team league. So you get 33 points. Divided by 5, that's 6.6 points averaged out. To get to 80 you need to average just over a 9 in each hitting category. I'm doubting this is viable.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3769
Joined: 3 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Re: VERY Cheap Roto Tactic - - Will it work?

Postby Merrick65 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:05 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I'm personally a big fan of having rules and following them. If someone finds something creative that is legal but not within the spirit of what your league enjoys, then discuss it and perhaps add a rule for the next season. My league has had a gentleman's agreement for as long as I can remember that you have to try to field a full lineup. If you have one catcher and he gets hurt, then you need to either pick up another one or trade for one. Not because playing the other way is "wrong" necessarily, but because the owners in my league on the whole felt that better described the game we wanted to play it. When owners didn't do this, it was too easy to drift into tanking, which none of us felt was in the best interests of the league. But in the absence of such a rule, I'd have trouble coming down on someone who did so.


Thank you. This is what I've been trying to say.. Just because something is technically within the rules doesn't mean it won't be frowned upon and, among my league mates, would be referred to as a "b*tch move."

Have some pride, make an honest effort, and do the "right" thing and you're league mates will respect you and your victories will be much more rewarding.
Merrick65
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 74
Joined: 7 Mar 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: VERY Cheap Roto Tactic - - Will it work?

Postby GiantExpectations » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:05 pm

What if you had the best ERA/whip closers on your team? i.e. Rivera, Papelbon, Broxton, and like 1 or 2 more guys to make sure you win saves, that way you would guarantee 12,12,12 from ERA,WHIP, Saves, and get 38 points total from pitching.

A decent estimate of your offense, say you get 10 pts per category on offense, you wind up with 50 pts on Offense for a total of 86 pts? :-? Not too bad actually.
GiantExpectations
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 42
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: VERY Cheap Roto Tactic - - Will it work?

Postby kaiser » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:17 pm

Merrick65 wrote:
Have some pride, make an honest effort, and do the "right" thing and you're league mates will respect you and your victories will be much more rewarding.


I understand what you are saying, Merrick, but it is important to also recognize that words like "pride," "honest effort" and "the right thing" are subjective. The way that you define them is not necessarily the way that someone else would. That does not make either side right or wrong. My only issue would be claiming, just because you disagree with a strategy, that the person employing said strategy has a lack of pride, or is not making an honest effort.
Image
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
Posts: 5554
(Past Year: 308)
Joined: 8 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Genco Olive Oil Co.

Re: VERY Cheap Roto Tactic - - Will it work?

Postby great gretzky » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:23 pm

Agreed. In many ways it is an honest effort, because it has to be so superbly executed and the risk is huge.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3769
Joined: 3 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Re: VERY Cheap Roto Tactic - - Will it work?

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Merrick65 wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:I'm personally a big fan of having rules and following them. If someone finds something creative that is legal but not within the spirit of what your league enjoys, then discuss it and perhaps add a rule for the next season. My league has had a gentleman's agreement for as long as I can remember that you have to try to field a full lineup. If you have one catcher and he gets hurt, then you need to either pick up another one or trade for one. Not because playing the other way is "wrong" necessarily, but because the owners in my league on the whole felt that better described the game we wanted to play it. When owners didn't do this, it was too easy to drift into tanking, which none of us felt was in the best interests of the league. But in the absence of such a rule, I'd have trouble coming down on someone who did so.


Thank you. This is what I've been trying to say.. Just because something is technically within the rules doesn't mean it won't be frowned upon and, among my league mates, would be referred to as a "b*tch move."

Have some pride, make an honest effort, and do the "right" thing and you're league mates will respect you and your victories will be much more rewarding.

Not sure that is exactly what I said heh... specifically the point I was trying to make is that issues in the gray area like this are best resolved by coming to a consensus and putting a rule in place. If something doesn't break the rule, then it is fair game. If something doesn't break the rule but it annoys people, then they can say, "Fair enough. That's legal, but I wish it wasn't. Can we make a rule for next season?"
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1388
(Past Year: 42)
Joined: 1 Feb 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: VERY Cheap Roto Tactic - - Will it work?

Postby MinorityAuthority » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:15 pm

Since I have 2 open Yahoo league spots, I'm going to try 2 strategies:

*These are 12 team Auction leagues with standard scoring, 1400 IP limit

1) Traditional punting of saves - Every RP & bench slot will be $1 guys. Will go after 1 stud, 3 mid-tiers, and rest a combo of high AVG, high SB guys. Hopeful #1 is Pujols or HRam

2) Alternative punting - Wins/Ks. Will go after the best 4 available between Rivera, Broxton, Wilson, Bell, Soria, KRod, hopefully getting Rauch cheap and going after a $1 closer if there is one that's not a :-o (i.e Mike Gonzalez and how he loves putting guys on base). Rest of team again will be 1 stud, 3 mid-tiers, and combo of high AVG/SB.

Goal in both leagues is to get a lot of borderline .285/90/20/80/20 guys.

Wish me luck :-D
Please help me out...

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=133433
MinorityAuthority
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 309
Joined: 3 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: VERY Cheap Roto Tactic - - Will it work?

Postby swyck » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:37 pm

kaiser wrote:
Merrick65 wrote:
Have some pride, make an honest effort, and do the "right" thing and you're league mates will respect you and your victories will be much more rewarding.


I understand what you are saying, Merrick, but it is important to also recognize that words like "pride," "honest effort" and "the right thing" are subjective. The way that you define them is not necessarily the way that someone else would. That does not make either side right or wrong. My only issue would be claiming, just because you disagree with a strategy, that the person employing said strategy has a lack of pride, or is not making an honest effort.

Exactly. What I see is personal opinion and bias trying to mask as "honesty" and the "right effort". The strategy has no chance of getting off the ground and he goes to town over it.

I would punch you in the face if you did this in my league.

%-6 <---- you

Yeah, someone that knows "honest effort". :-P
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1524
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 7 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: VERY Cheap Roto Tactic - - Will it work?

Postby MinorityAuthority » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:19 am

Here's my team. I figured I'd need a lot for closers, but they went super cheap at the end, so I probably skimmed on my offense more than I had to. Standard Yahoo league with 2 UTIL

C: K.Suzuki
1B: G.Jones/T.Helton/P.Konerko
2B: C.Utley/P.Polanco/H.Kendrick
3B: E.Longoria
SS: B.Zobrist/J.Hardy
OF: A.McCutchen/N.Cruz/C.Crawford/N.Morgan/R.Davis

SP: D.Price (he was too cheap to pass up)
RP: M.Rivera/J.Soria/H.Bell/R.Soriano/J.Rauch/M.Capps/R.Madson

I tried to get as many power hitters as I got SB threats, with a few guys who do both.

We'll see how this goes.
Please help me out...

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=133433
MinorityAuthority
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 309
Joined: 3 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: VERY Cheap Roto Tactic - - Will it work?

Postby J35J » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:25 am

Maris09 wrote:
garf112 wrote:
J35J wrote:I hate when people try to manipulate their rosters like this...it's aggrivating as hell and just lame. Seems people are more concerned with finding loop holes in the rules and just trying to find ways to manipulate different things than just putting together their best, complete, legal roster and beating everyone else with it. I'll be looking harder at playing in CBS leagues going forward as they don't allow illegal rosters.


There is strategy to not having all of your lineup spots filled. I hate the "illegal" roster thing on CBS. If I don't want to play a 2B today, I should be forced to or give up all of my stats from that day. To me, that is just dumb.

Exactly.
Or what if you're going into the Sunday Night game with Batting Average being the only Category still up for grabs. You should have the right to be able to bench a guy or two if you're ahead in AVG. It's all part of general Fantasy Baseball strategy.


Meh...strategies like these help mediocore-poor teams more than they do good teams. If you have a couple of real eye sores in your lineup...well just bench them if need be...lame. If your team doesn't really have any holes in it then there is no need to bench players. I'm all for rostering full lineups at all times...thats part of why big leagues, big rosters are fun...your going to have lesser players on your teams and your lesser players have to be better than everyone elses lesser players. If your lesser players just absolutely suck well thats on you...you shouldn't get the luxury of just not playing them if it comes down to a neck and neck race on Sunday...to me that's lame and goes against everything that a big league with big rosters is about.

To me, and I'm starting to think I'm in the minority, fantasy baseball should be about my ability to judge talent vs your ability to judge talent. My full roster of players against your full roster of players....may the best man win. All these roster manipulations, benching half your roster, dropping a whole position worth of players(RP for example), to keep a 100% sv% for example, all starts to move away from "my players vs your players" and your ability to find the best talent and becomes more about who can manipulate the rules and find the most loop holes in everything.

But like has been said...lesson learned...will fix it next year for sure. ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 387)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Laicekl and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 30
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Oakland at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact