VERY Cheap Roto Tactic - - Will it work? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

VERY Cheap Roto Tactic - - Will it work?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

VERY Cheap Roto Tactic - - Will it work?

Postby Donnie740 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:39 pm

Here's an idea I've had concerning my 12 team 5x5 roto keeper league...

Right now my ERA is 0.86 and WHIP is 0.52. There's no minimum IP so if I trade/drop/bench every pitcher I have, I'm guranteed to win both categories for a total of 24 points. Obviously finishing last in W, SV and K gives me 3 more points.

So 27 overall points for my pitching.

Then by trading off my best pitchers & closers I'll build my offence into a power house and go for something close to 60 points. I think 80+ points should win my league.

Any thoughts?
12 Team 5x5 Keep 12
C Santana
1B Ortiz
2B Pedroia
3B Wright
SS HRam
OF McCutch
OF J Upton
OF E Young
DH Beltre
DL Bruce Trumbo[/b

SP [b]Gray
Haren Porcello Kluber Garza Peavy Burnett Colon
RP Street Soria
DL Harvey
Donnie740
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: VERY Cheap Roto Tactic - - Will it work?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:50 pm

seems like it's hard enough to win punting 1 cat, let alone 3. plus if people catch on to what you are doing they may not trade with you anyway, not to mention people will be unlikely to give up stud hitting for pitching

i give it a 1% chance of working
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby MTUCache » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Not a chance you'll pull 60 points on offense in a 12-team 5x5. The offense you would have to have for that would be ridiculous. Even 55 would probably be out of reach.

If you lost even two spots in one category you're going to fall short of 85 points. Plus, even if you did, there's no guarantee that 80 points would get you the title. I think 85+ would be a more reasonable goal.

Punting one category is bad enough. Punting three is just plain dumb.

Last point. It's a keeper league. Do you really want to piss off the rest of your league like this and basically give up on all of your decent pitching just so you can have a 5% chance of a hollow victory this year? Are you really that un-confident in your ability to win this straight-up that you would be willing to throw a Hail Mary in the first week?
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Mighty Trow » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:20 pm

doesn't the amount of innings pitched have some kind of effect on the scoring?
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Merrick65 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:21 pm

I would punch you in the face if you did this in my league.

%-6 <---- you
Merrick65
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby great gretzky » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:20 pm

Sacrificing 30 percent of your scoring potential seems like a stretch to me. And remember, some other teams are going to have staffs that they feel are strong AND have some stud hitting. So then you will find yourself dealing with teams that are more pedestrian, but those teams will be loathe to ship you all their best bats. So you will be probably having to sell your arms at a major discount. And that is if people don't catch on, which they definitely will. The overall market of the league probably wouldn't support it -- you couldn't get enough "ACE" bats to offset the 30 percent lead you just gave everyone.

And sometimes the thing with punting is, some teams that felt they were weak in a certain category gain a bit of a comfort level in that they can nab a 2 or a 3 since once team is definitely getting the one. So it can help if they are willing to take a low score, they can turn around and trade their arms or closers or whatever, take the guaranteed three, and then cut off your plan too.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:09 pm

All it will take to beat you is for a more well rounded team to finish in the top 3 in most categories. Those 1's will really sink you, and has been mentioned before, you are not guaranteed a first place finish in each offensive category. For example:

You: 12*7 + 1*3 = 87
Them: 12*1 + 11*3 + 10*5 + 9*1 = 104

So alienation, high risk, and math are your enemies here.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby J35J » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:16 pm

I hate when people try to manipulate their rosters like this...it's aggrivating as hell and just lame. Seems people are more concerned with finding loop holes in the rules and just trying to find ways to manipulate different things than just putting together their best, complete, legal roster and beating everyone else with it. I'll be looking harder at playing in CBS leagues going forward as they don't allow illegal rosters.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby swyck » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:51 pm

Merrick65 wrote:I would punch you in the face if you did this in my league.

%-6 <---- you

No reason for that. :-t

Nothing illegal or unethical about this, it's just another strategy, and I like seeing people try new strats rather than do the same old thing every time. I'd rather have people in my who try things than someone who's against all experimentation.

Still I doubt this would work. For strats like this I always see the reasoning "I'll win the hitting cats" but IMO that's unlikely.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Merrick65 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:12 pm

swyck wrote:
Merrick65 wrote:I would punch you in the face if you did this in my league.

%-6 <---- you

No reason for that. :-t

Nothing illegal or unethical about this, it's just another strategy, and I like seeing people try new strats rather than do the same old thing every time. I'd rather have people in my who try things than someone who's against all experimentation.

Still I doubt this would work. For strats like this I always see the reasoning "I'll win the hitting cats" but IMO that's unlikely.

You're kidding right? Illegal? No.. But I'm pretty sure his 11 other league mates would despise him for essentially cowarding out and trying to cheat the system... A move that doesn't sound very ethical to me.

New strategies ARE cool if you still go about it in an honorable way. I have a friend that spends all his money on pitching, runs and SB... Another guy spends $200 on 5 hitters... All somewhat unique, but not cheap.

Do what you want with your team. It has no affect on me. I'm merely warning you that your league mates are going to dog you for it and even if it does work those 11 other guys would put an asterisk on your league title. Just sayin.
Merrick65
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers