Garrett Jones - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Garrett Jones

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Garrett Jones

Postby abrunn11 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:21 pm

What do you guys think about him? 21 HR's in 314 AB's last season and added 10 SB's. I do not think the SB's are sustainable, but he could hit 40 HR's. I realize that he has never hit 40 in his minor league career, but he could be a late bloomer.

Since he most likely was not drafted I would like to know how high of a waiver priority people are using on him, or how much FAAB dollars people are using. My settings allow for 130 FAAB dollars and I am considering using 65 on him. Am I crazy?
abrunn11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Garrett Jones

Postby bballislife17 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:04 pm

Nelson Cruz jr?

I don't think he'll hit 40... but 70/30/90/10 might not be out of the question. For a FA or low draft pick that's damn decent.
bballislife17
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby j24jags » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:05 pm

Historically he's struggled with lefties. If he doesn't figure them out 25-30 is more realistic, but he got the start against Kershaw and homered off him. If he struggles against lefties he may be platooned, but if he figures out lefties and becomes an everyday player, then 35 Hrs is within reach. I own him in two leagues, but I am not optimistic that he will figure lefties out this season.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:10 pm

j24jags wrote:Historically he's struggled with lefties. If he doesn't figure them out 25-30 is more realistic, but he got the start against Kershaw and homered off him. If he struggles against lefties he may be platooned, but if he figures out lefties and becomes an everyday player, then 35 Hrs is within reach. I own him in two leagues, but I am not optimistic that he will figure lefties out this season.

The Pirates have enough talent to platoon their good players?
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby j24jags » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:14 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
j24jags wrote:Historically he's struggled with lefties. If he doesn't figure them out 25-30 is more realistic, but he got the start against Kershaw and homered off him. If he struggles against lefties he may be platooned, but if he figures out lefties and becomes an everyday player, then 35 Hrs is within reach. I own him in two leagues, but I am not optimistic that he will figure lefties out this season.

Maybe not, but I am going to continue to bench him against lefties until he shows me sustained success. Basically, I think he is good for 25 HRs vs righties in 400 ABs per season (ballpark numbers), but he may only hit 2 homers off lefties all year, he may hit 8-10 homers off lefties this year. I am going to use him against righties for now and take the wait and see approach on how he hits lefties.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby stevelabny » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:22 pm

abrunn11 wrote:
Since he most likely was not drafted ?

in what league wasn't he drafted? an 8-team mixed with 0 bench spots that doesnt have a CI spot or U?
"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." -- Leo Durocher
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigcat007 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:33 pm

stevelabny wrote:
abrunn11 wrote:

in what league wasn't he drafted? an 8-team mixed with 0 bench spots that doesnt have a CI spot or U?

Since when is Jones close to top 20 OF talent?
bigcat007
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mak1277 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:47 pm

j24jags wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:

Maybe not, but I am going to continue to bench him against lefties until he shows me sustained success. Basically, I think he is good for 25 HRs vs righties in 400 ABs per season (ballpark numbers), but he may only hit 2 homers off lefties all year, he may hit 8-10 homers off lefties this year. I am going to use him against righties for now and take the wait and see approach on how he hits lefties.

If he hits well enough to get 25 HRs against righties, he won't be platooned. The option would be to start Ryan Church (another LH hitter) in rightfield. The Bucs don't have a solid RH hitting option to platoon him with.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby abrunn11 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:04 pm

stevelabny wrote:
abrunn11 wrote:

In my 12 team league that has 5 OF, DH and CI, he was not drafted. He was a fringe top 50 OFer heading into the season. I find it hard to believe that he was drafted in more than 50% of leagues.
abrunn11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Maris09 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:59 pm

abrunn11 wrote:
stevelabny wrote:
abrunn11 wrote:

In my 12 team league that has 5 OF, DH and CI, he was not drafted. He was a fringe top 50 OFer heading into the season. I find it hard to believe that he was drafted in more than 50% of leagues.

Not drafted in a 300+ player league?
That's just a suspect league IMO, there's no way he should have gone undrafted.
The guy went in the first 15 rounds of all 4 drafts I did.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers