Florida's Defense - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Florida's Defense

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Florida's Defense

Postby dmattingly23 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:02 pm

Ok, it's even worse than i thought. And I'm a little nervous about Nolasco now.

Cantu, Uggla, Sanchez, Coghlan (wow he's bad), and even Hanley isn't that great.

Going to have alot of unearned runs.

I even have Volstad in a deep league, and this D is really going to kill him.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Florida's Defense

Postby mt99808 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:53 pm

I was flipping through and saw Coghlan's throw from LF to home plate 8-o
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thedude » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:16 pm

dmattingly23 wrote:even Hanley isn't that great.

Hanley is actually pretty bad in the field. If he stayed in Boston he was going to center field. The reason the Red Sox did not mind trading him at the time was because they were concerned about his defensive shortcomings. He has improved some since he got to the majors, but he is still a bad defender.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:46 am

thedude wrote:

Hanley is actually pretty bad in the field. If he stayed in Boston he was going to center field. The reason the Red Sox did not mind trading him at the time was because they were concerned about his defensive shortcomings. He has improved some since he got to the majors, but he is still a bad defender.

:-?
2007 UZR/150: -20.9
2008 UZR/150: -.6
2009 UZR/150: -.3

Since rebounding from his bad '07, he looks like a pretty average fielding SS to me over the past two years. I don't know how you can classify that as "actually pretty bad."

Do you have quotes from Theo/Lucchino that they traded him because of his defensive shortcomings in the minors? Or is that just a assumption you made?
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:47 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:
thedude wrote:

Since rebounding from his bad '07, he looks like a pretty average fielding SS to me over the past two years. I don't know how you can classify that as "actually pretty bad."

Do you have quotes from Theo/Lucchino that they traded him because of his defensive shortcomings in the minors? Or is that just a assumption you made?

:-b :-b You are trying to be difficult, but failing. Theo was not GM when that trade was made.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:53 pm

Hanley has indeed significantly stepped up his D since his horrendous '07. UZR still doesn't have as much descriptive value as the traditional hitting/pitching metrics (for more on that, go to some of the offseason discussions and look at which ones are 400+ posts long :-b ) so I'm not fully confident in how accurately a two year trend reflects Hanley's true defensive ability. Still, he's been pretty much squarely average the last two years and scouting reports have stated that his defense improved. This time the man with the calculator and the man in the straw hat agree.

Cantu and Uggla are truly awful, though. Coghlan is moving to OF full-time for the first time in his career, so his defense depends on how much work he wants to put in.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby DaSh 1s » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:23 pm

thedude wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:
thedude wrote:

:-b :-b You are trying to be difficult, but failing. Theo was not GM when that trade was made.

Uhh, whats failing? Who cares if I wrote the wrong GM?

The real fail lies in how blatantly wrong you are about Hanley being a bad defender. He has made huge strides in his defense, and has been improving each year. So instead of steering around the topic, you coulda addressed just how wrong your claims were, instead of being cute with your :-b Nice response though, but still failing.

And what do you mean he was going to Centerfield? What are your sources on that? He was one of the Top SS prospects in all of baseball. He was scouted as a 5 tool, plus range, and plus arm prospect. He was 21 at the time. I need to see this site or whatever scouting report you read, that it told you this 21 year old 5 tool player was so incumbent playing SS defensively that they traded him. Again, just lies. Big swing and miss there, thedude.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:43 pm

Actually, I watch Marlins games all the time. Hanley is physically an exceptional defender. He has insane tools and range. and a cannon for an arm. also, exceptional with the glove. he does have some drawbacks, though. he gets lazy, he makes mistakes, his arm can be a bit errant. he gets out of position. he makes childish mistakes.

But with his physical skill and ability to play the position, I would assume that no one has ever said "lets move this guy to the outfield" all of his issues are ones that can be corrected if he can just keep his focus out there.

When hanley is on and his head is in it, he is among the best SS in the game.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby thedude » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:15 pm

DaSh 1s wrote: What are your sources on that? He was one of the Top SS prospects in all of baseball. He was scouted as a 5 tool, plus range, and plus arm prospect. He was 21 at the time. I need to see this site or whatever scouting report you read,

You are thinking of the word cite. Not site. It is short for the word citation.

As for a citation for my comment:

See
"His game is definitely on the rise"
Portland Press Herald (ME) July 13, 2005
Page D1

See also:
"Big job awaits next Red Sox architect."
Ken Rosenthal
Sporting News
November 18, 2005
Volume 229; Issue 46

"Red Sox Notebook: Hanley gets surprise call"
Boston Herald
Jeff Horrigan
September 20, 2005

I suggest you do your homework before calling someone a liar.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers