Napoli benched again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Napoli benched again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Napoli benched again

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:59 pm

Who knows if 20 HR is going to happen this year though. Getting benched the first 2 games is a bad sign. Last year he only played C in 96 games (84 starts). I could easily see Napoli end up with <100 games this year, and <90 starts (I'm predicting Scoscia will let him catch a little more since he won't be DHing much, if at all, so I think he'll get 105ish games, but I digress). Anyways, if he gets 350 AB instead of 400, those counting stats are likely to drop and you could end up with 15/55 or 18/60. Those lines look a lot like the low-tier AJ Pierzynski numbers, without having to deal with the possibility of Napoli losing even more time due to poor D.

As to what to do with him, I say it completely depends upon your league. But in shallow leagues with small benches, I'd support the dumping of Napoli (I dumped him an 8-team league...)
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:31 am

In an 8 team league you can afford to dump just about anyone though. ;-D

Anyone who drafted Naploi knowing what his role is already knew that he wasn't going to start every game, and I think it would be foolish to drop him or whatever based on the first two games. He's a set and forget C, so a little patience is required.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mblax10 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:11 am

How did all of you draft Napoli without doing your homework? Should I be pissed that Mark Reynolds has 5 K's in his first 9 AB's?

Scoscia will drive you crazy with playing time. But at the end of the year Napoli will have 20 HR and decent counting stats for a C.

BTW-Kurt Suzuki is the perfect platoon for Napoli. But it's too late for that, because Suzuki was surely drafted in your league.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MTUCache » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:36 am

mblax10 wrote:BTW-Kurt Suzuki is the perfect platoon for Napoli. But it's too late for that, because Suzuki was surely drafted in your league.

I'm having a bit of difficulty figuring out how to get my Doumit/Napoli platoon to work the way I want... the main difficulty being that since Nap's games are usually west-coast the lineups don't come out until after Doumit's games have already started.

I agree, Suzuki would be a better choice because of location, but honestly if I had him I probably wouldn't be all that concerned about platooning. Suzuki is going to be gold this year with his average and that spot in the lineup. I had targeted him in both my drafts, but he went pretty early.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:10 pm

mblax10 wrote:How did all of you draft Napoli without doing your homework? Should I be pissed that Mark Reynolds has 5 K's in his first 9 AB's?

Scoscia will drive you crazy with playing time. But at the end of the year Napoli will have 20 HR and decent counting stats for a C.

BTW-Kurt Suzuki is the perfect platoon for Napoli. But it's too late for that, because Suzuki was surely drafted in your league.

Well, so far Napoli sat the first 2 and started the 3rd. In order to have good value (in standard 12-team leagues, obviously "good value" depends on depth), he needs >350 PA. Since he won't be DHing, this means he needs ~100 starts at C (maybe a few less if he can get a couple games at DH). Sitting the first 2 and then starting one is not a good start toward doing this. That's why I'm still nervous (but not ready to dump yet) in my deeper league...

If he only gets 80 games at C and ~270 PA, he's not going to be worth much, simply because the counting stats won't be there.... 40 R/15 HR/ 50 RBI is not a good line in standard leagues, even from a C....
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby mblax10 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:03 pm

I think you can pretty confidently pencil Napoli in for 50/20/50 right now. Even in the shallowest leagues, you're not going to find a C with those numbers on the waiver wire.

Yes-the reason why Suzuki works so well (really with any C) is that he plays on the west coast. But he's moved up from a late round C this year.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby peartist » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:20 pm

I hope you're right, as he is sitting again tonight.

I need to see if there's any West Coast catcher's available now, I guess. Or I could pick up Mathis. Har.
peartist
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby j24jags » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:33 pm

peartist wrote:I hope you're right, as he is sitting again tonight.

I need to see if there's any West Coast catcher's available now, I guess. Or I could pick up Mathis. Har.

Yeah this stinks...
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby yaboygino » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:28 pm

1 start in 5 games? ahaha really> will he even be able to make 300 at bats this year...so silly. time to drop em
yaboygino
College Coach
College Coach

Postby walkoffblast » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:24 pm

F'in ridic. I was prepared for some headaches but this is crazy. CHONE projects Napoli 2 WAR better than Mathis and that is including defense. I knew that stupid HR was going to come back to haunt me. Someone get me a voodoo scioscia doll.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates