Dealing w/ Owners Who Make 1 Sided Trades - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Dealing w/ Owners Who Make 1 Sided Trades

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dealing w/ Owners Who Make 1 Sided Trades

Postby fishingmn » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:46 pm

Just had owner propose giving me -

Mike Lowell
Elijah Dukes
Kenshin Kawakami

For

Roy Halladay

About the only thing I could think of was to call him out on the message board and warn other owners. Any other thoughts on making sure no one accepts total crap deals at the detriment of the league?
fishingmn
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dealing w/ Owners Who Make 1 Sided Trades

Postby bigmck » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:23 pm

Its was wrong to call him out on the message board. If you don't like the trade, refuse it. Don't cause hard feelings over it.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby oleredb » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:37 pm

If you want to make a point with this guy simply make a counter offer of your worst 3 players for his best 2.

Actually this offer is so bad I have to wonder if this guy is trying to get into your head and throw you off of your game. He may want you to get mad and stir up a controversy that causes other owners to wish they had never joined the league. He may use anger as a tool to increases the odds of clouded thinking and rash moves that he can manipulate and exploit.

Finally, if you have to warn other players in your league not to accept this kind of trade it is time to look for a new league.
oleredb
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:17 pm

Every league seems to have a manager like this. A guy who spends alot of free time proposing ridiculous trades (I guess in the blind hope that someone actually hits accept when they meant to click reject and then hits yes to the "are you sure" prompt)

Either way there is nothing to be done. If your playing in a halfway competitive league, the managers will be able to spot this guy and these types of trades fairly easily.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby joejlitz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:56 pm

bigmck wrote:Its was wrong to call him out on the message board. If you don't like the trade, refuse it. Don't cause hard feelings over it.

This.

Unless it's genuine smack talk and you want to embarrass him, but not humiliate him. You could be good-natured about it in public and still bust the guy's baseballs.
joejlitz
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RDD15 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:14 am

It isn't "wrong" to call the guy out on the message board. It might not be the best idea because it can damage your relationship with him and sabotage future deals with him, but it is not like it is some morally deplorable action to call him out on it.

Fact is, he offered the trade up. And if you call him out on the message board strictly on a fact, then you are not doing anything "wrong".

How I would personally deal with it, is reject the offer, and send him an email informing him that I do not believe that quantity makes up for quality in a trade, and that you think that his offering three waiver-wire type players for a legitimate star is essentially an insult. I then might make a counter-offer that gives him Halladay that also works for me.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:45 pm

If I think there is any chance the other owner was delusional enough to think such an offer is fair, I'll usually compose myself and explain why it isn't. If the trade is too bad, this shouldn't take too much time, thought, effort, etc.

If I don't think the owner thought it was fair, and was just trying to annoy, rip off, etc., I'll either just reject with no comment, or if I'm feeling particularly smarmy, counteroffer something similarly unbalanced.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Return to Commissioner's Corner