Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Thoughts on Delmon Young?

Postby swyck » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:03 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:70 RBI

Yeah, I took a look at the rbi leaders the other day and I was really surprised to see him there. Good pickup. ;-D
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:01 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
fantasyfiend wrote:DY is competing with every outfielder on that team (not just Thome) for playing time. At 24 yrs old, he has more upside and talent than all of them.

FAIL.
Kubel and Cuddyer are 1000 times the hitter Delmon is. :-?

Speaking of FAIL.....
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:03 am

I really love DY...easily my best WW pickup of the year.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guttenburg » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:18 pm

Too early to make a call on his redraft value? Former number 1, 25 years old..man, how doesn't he go by round 3?
Guttenburg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:09 am

Guttenburg wrote:Too early to make a call on his redraft value? Former number 1, 25 years old..man, how doesn't he go by round 3?

Well, at this point I wouldn't take him before the 10th round. So much of his value is tied to RBI and AVG. RBI are mostly team-dependent (especially significant because his Twins aren't exactly an offensive powerhouse) and AVG is prone to variability. He has only 13 HR and 4 SB which is good for a rather unimpressive 22/7 full season pace. He's striking out a lot less but his walk rate is still garbage. Change the RBI to a more reasonable number and he's about as valuable as Brennan Boesch. Granted, Delmon was a #1 pick, but he's been a poorly performing full-time major leaguer for 3+ years. There is the upside but there's also the downside that he reverts to pre-2010 Delmon.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby kab21 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:44 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Guttenburg wrote:Too early to make a call on his redraft value? Former number 1, 25 years old..man, how doesn't he go by round 3?

Well, at this point I wouldn't take him before the 10th round. So much of his value is tied to RBI and AVG. RBI are mostly team-dependent (especially significant because his Twins aren't exactly an offensive powerhouse) and AVG is prone to variability. He has only 13 HR and 4 SB which is good for a rather unimpressive 22/7 full season pace. He's striking out a lot less but his walk rate is still garbage. Change the RBI to a more reasonable number and he's about as valuable as Brennan Boesch. Granted, Delmon was a #1 pick, but he's been a poorly performing full-time major leaguer for 3+ years. There is the upside but there's also the downside that he reverts to pre-2010 Delmon.

He's hitting somewhere in the midst of Span, Mauer, Morneau, cuddyer and Kubel next season. All of these guys have good OBP's or can be expected to since a couple are struggling so the RBI chances will be there. But I agree with you on where to draft Delmon. I'm concerned that pitchers are going to adjust and further expand his strike zone. He's shown that he will swing at anything so why throw it close to the plate?
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:15 am

kab21 wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:

He's hitting somewhere in the midst of Span, Mauer, Morneau, cuddyer and Kubel next season. All of these guys have good OBP's or can be expected to since a couple are struggling so the RBI chances will be there. But I agree with you on where to draft Delmon. I'm concerned that pitchers are going to adjust and further expand his strike zone. He's shown that he will swing at anything so why throw it close to the plate?

Most of the guys you mentioned have OBPs around .345. Morneau's OBP will decrease and Mauer's will increase so they're good for about .390 between them. MLB average is like .330 so they're definitely pretty good, but the run-scoring environment the other hitters produce is closer to the 90-100 RBI range than the 130 RBI pace Delmon is currently on. In fact, no lineup in the last 8 years would be likely to produce a 115+ RBI season out of a Delmon-type hitter.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Guttenburg » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:31 am

Hmm, alright, point taken. Any chance, however, that if he finishes as strong as he has started that he could move up to that territory? At least like a round 5 or something?
Guttenburg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j24jags » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:52 am

I drafted him in about the 20th round in a pretty deep keeper league where the cost of keepers is the round they were drafted in ;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers