Thoughts on Delmon Young?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:31 pm

Post-hype sleeper?

Last night: 2/4, HR, 2 R/RBI, SB

Thoughts? :-?
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 660)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on Delmon Young?

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Well, he lost 30 pounds this offseason and talked about a renewed passion for the game also. I feel like I may have overdrafted on Choo in a couple leagues and if he doesn't do anything soon I might drop him in favor of Young, who looks like the definition of a post-hype sleeper.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby thedude » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:36 pm

I had an empty bench spot in a relatively deep league, so i am taking a shot on him.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:37 pm

not even the Cubs are interested
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby j24jags » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:40 pm

I'm a fan, I have him on some of my teams. He has always had the talent, and I think he finally can live up to some of his potential. I'm not saying he will jump to 30/30, but I think he has a shot at 20/20 this year. His Isolated power last year was up a lot to .142 (which is not great, but is a step in the right direction), and if he can take another step forward to around .155, 20 HRs will be well within reach. His K/BB is worrisome, but his O-Swing % (Percentage of balls outside the strike zone that he swings at) has come down in each of his four years in the league The potential is there and he can be had for very cheap.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby WickedSmaat » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:42 pm

Meh, his single was an infield dribbler. I think his only value will be in AL-only leagues. He'll give you a nice average, but the guy never walks. As for power I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby B-Chad » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:49 pm

I own him in a 12 team league that starts LF, CF, RF and one OF plus two utility. Seems like a reasonable flyer type. The reason I'm buying in his ISO jump which has been pointed out, but also his FB rates to end 2009. Delmon's biggest problem hasn't been that he doesn't have raw power, it's that he's not taken advantage of it because he's busy burning worms. Delmon's August-October last year saw him hitting roughly 40% FB with a HR/FB in the 10-12% range. If he's able to keep that up (or even build on it a smidge) he would be a good candidate for 20+ HR's. Last night was an encouraging start with his HR and another FB in 4 AB's.

My biggest turn off with Young is his low walk rate. He did walk more than usual in the Spring (though it's the Spring so take that with a large grain of salt). He didn't do much to inspire confidence in working counts when in his final AB, facing Fernando Rodney (who opened the inning with 5 or 6 consecutive balls and was really struggling to find the plate) and going after the first pitch as opposed to making him work. Small sample, and it's the first game, but it would have been nice to see Delmon understanding the situation and realizing Rodney was struggling with his command. Oh well, I'm stashing, the raw talent is intriguing if nothing else.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigken117 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:28 pm

I bought him for $3 in the VKC and dumped him before yesterday's game for Bard as my OF is crowded.

I definitely think he could surprise this season if he learns to take a walk.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby dmattingly23 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:40 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Well, he lost 30 pounds this offseason and talked about a renewed passion for the game also. I feel like I may have overdrafted on Choo in a couple leagues and if he doesn't do anything soon I might drop him in favor of Young, who looks like the definition of a post-hype sleeper.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but you can't drop Choo for him.

That being said, I've had him on my team the last 4 years waiting for the breakout that never came. Didn't get him this year, mostly because I think Thome will steal some Abs. So with my luck he probally goes 30-30 this year.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:55 pm

meh, I live in Minnesota. I watched him just about evey day last year. I think this was just a good opening day. I also am in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp.. %-6
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers