On streamers and lefty-rightie staffs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

On streamers and lefty-rightie staffs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

On streamers and lefty-rightie staffs

Postby GamerJOW » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:57 am

Two minor concerns about a fledgling keeper league with a stated emphasis on 'building realistic lineups,' both pitcher related:

1) Streamers. I hate them. I understand the theory behind 'Innings Requirements' to limit streaming, but one of our players has already run Lincecum and Lowe out as starters and promptly dropped both, with the clear intent to get 2 different SP next week, and the next, and the next. Lowe I could almost understand, but Lincecum being ditched that early is as strong an indicator as I can figure that streaming is imminent. How else can one limit streaming?

2) Pitching Staff: This is almost certainly just a pet peeve of mine, but two of our guys have no left-handed pitchers on their staff at all, which in my not so humble opinion flies in the face of the 'realistic lineups' philosophy we're aiming at. How can a more balanced Pitching staff and lineup be encouraged in Fantasy, as pertains to handed-ness of the players?
CLee,Tex, JHamilton, Kinsler, CYoung, Napoli
GamerJOW
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: On streamers and lefty-rightie staffs

Postby MTUCache » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:06 am

GamerJOW wrote:Two minor concerns about a fledgling keeper league with a stated emphasis on 'building realistic lineups,' both pitcher related:

1) Streamers. I hate them. I understand the theory behind 'Innings Requirements' to limit streaming, but one of our players has already run Lincecum and Lowe out as starters and promptly dropped both, with the clear intent to get 2 different SP next week, and the next, and the next. Lowe I could almost understand, but Lincecum being ditched that early is as strong an indicator as I can figure that streaming is imminent. How else can one limit streaming?

This will work itself out. If you have any limitations in place to discourage streaming whatsoever (max moves, innings limits, etc) I can't imagine any scenario where dropping Lincecum is a positive move for your team. Frankly I can't believe that anyone would make that move, or that any league wouldn't be using some sort of "can't cut" list that he wouldn't be on.

10-1 odds that this guy does not get the results he's looking for out of his "genius system" that he thinks he's running. He'll most likely look like a complete idiot by week 5.

2) Pitching Staff: This is almost certainly just a pet peeve of mine, but two of our guys have no left-handed pitchers on their staff at all, which in my not so humble opinion flies in the face of the 'realistic lineups' philosophy we're aiming at. How can a more balanced Pitching staff and lineup be encouraged in Fantasy, as pertains to handed-ness of the players?

This, on the other hand, makes almost no sense to me whatsoever. Are you serious here?

Just as sidenote, the Tigers have a "realistic" pitching staff this year that includes only one lefty starter (*gulp*Willis, who may not last long there), and only two LHP relievers in their pen.

This just isn't something that should enter a "fantasy" scenario. Any league that gets this involved is practically a full-time job.

If this is something that you're serious about, you'll probably have to find some way to incorporate a BA-against-righties and BA-against-lefties scoring category into your league. Quite a bit overboard in my opinion, but if that's what you're into.... you're not making guys field players in their correct batting-order spots are you? I shudder to think who I would pickup to fill in my #8 hole. %-6
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GamerJOW » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:16 am

Pitchers were not in the 'can't cut' list because none of them got drafted before round 3, even Lincecum. The guy who picked him with the 1st pick of the 3rd said words to the effect of 'even though I usually punt W' when he picked him.

I did indicate that the lefty-rightie thing was my own personal pet peeve, but I'm actually serious. For the same reasons that I prefer to include Fielding % for a fantasy team, I prefer to see a staff - and a batter's lineup - that has at least one player working from the other side of the rubber/plate. It's actually one of the things I consider in constructing a team. I'm wondering if anyone has rules in place that encourage this behavior, or if it's my own psychosis.
CLee,Tex, JHamilton, Kinsler, CYoung, Napoli
GamerJOW
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MTUCache » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:22 am

GamerJOW wrote:Pitchers were not in the 'can't cut' list because none of them got drafted before round 3...

Obviously this is a pretty unique league, or you're playing with a bunch of guys who are treating this dramatically different than you are.

Do I dare ask what the league settings actually are? Sounds like it's either a super-casual league that you're taking WAY too seriously, or it's some sort of unique ultra-competitive league where the commish has left too many loopholes in his crazy rules.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:27 am

GamerJOW wrote:1) Streamers. I hate them. I understand the theory behind 'Innings Requirements' to limit streaming, but one of our players has already run Lincecum and Lowe out as starters and promptly dropped both, with the clear intent to get 2 different SP next week, and the next, and the next. Lowe I could almost understand, but Lincecum being ditched that early is as strong an indicator as I can figure that streaming is imminent. How else can one limit streaming?

Put a waiver claim in on Lincecum, then laugh at the person who foolishly dropped the best pitcher in the game. Even when streaming you aren't supposed to drop your best pitchers.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby D-backsFan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:36 am

Sounds like dude is smokin some of that good stuff Timmy is.

"Dude, I dropped Lincecum and Lowe for Pavano and Marquis. I'm gonna PWN this league!!11!!" :*) LOL
D-backsFan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j24jags » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:33 pm

thedude wrote:
GamerJOW wrote:1) Streamers. I hate them. I understand the theory behind 'Innings Requirements' to limit streaming, but one of our players has already run Lincecum and Lowe out as starters and promptly dropped both, with the clear intent to get 2 different SP next week, and the next, and the next. Lowe I could almost understand, but Lincecum being ditched that early is as strong an indicator as I can figure that streaming is imminent. How else can one limit streaming?

Put a waiver claim in on Lincecum, then laugh at the person who foolishly dropped the best pitcher in the game. Even when streaming you aren't supposed to drop your best pitchers.

Yep, if you pick up Lincecum who cares if someone doesn't have a lefty pitcher?
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:45 pm

#1 That guy obviously doesn't know how to stream right. Dropping Lincecum has sealed his fate. The usual way to limit streaming is to impart maximum moves or maximum IP limits.

#2 While most teams have a balanced staff it's not beyond reason that a team could heavily lean to one side. This year the Mariners don't have a single lefty in the bullpen, only two in the rotation. At one point last year the A's starting 5 was made up of all lefties. Sometimes it just happens that way.
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mblax10 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:29 pm

So they used a 1st/2nd round pick for 1 start. Good job!
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kab21 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:46 am

To limit streaming you can do GS or IP limits. Or at CBS you can use the FAAB system and set it to process waivers (all players are on waivers) twice a week. It eliminates streaming from the waiver wire (but not the bench).

Another league that I'm in only allows you to use 5 SP'ers each week. It is on the honor system but since it is a H2H league the opposing teams are watching. And since it's a 24 tm league there are very few teams that have extra starters (mostly eliminating the 2 start/week pitcher shenanighans). This is fairly realistic if you want that.

The lefty/righty pitching staff issue seems like a non-issue. But it really isn't any different than having LF/CF/RF specific OF positions. I've never really understood why if I have 3 CF'ers I can't play them at each of the OF positions. Or move a RF to LF. Requiring a lefty in your starting rotation seems very similar.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Return to Baseball Leftovers