Eye raising moments - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Eye raising moments

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Eye raising moments

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:04 pm

Cobra_Kai wrote:
jake_twothousandfive wrote:I do a small money league with a bunch of old high school buddies every year. None of them know a lot about fantasy but they're usually not totally clueless either.

Anyway, someone took Roy Halladay 3rd overall (Pujols and Hanley went 1-2). We gave him a lot of crap for it.

I don't know that's a completely terrible move. If you want to build your team around pitching, the argument can easily be made that Halladay is the best choice. An already-dominant pitcher moving to the NL, playing on one of the best teams? If you're in a league that counts Wins as a category, I think he's the best starter out there (I think Lincecum is close, but won't get as many W's). I think #3 is a little early, but I wouldn't have a problem with him as a first round draft pick.

I don't have a problem with him going high, but over ARod, Braun, Utley, etc? I think that's really pushing it.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Captain Furtah » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:39 pm

If you really want someone you have to move them up a couple rounds, well there is little chance that Halladay makes it back to that owner in the 2nd round, so if he really likes him than I would have no problem with that move. Another option would be to take A Rod or Braun and hope to trade them for Halladay and another piece, but there is no gaurauntee that you could do that. Would you be that suprised to see Halladay with 20+ wins, 230+ Ks an era lower than 3 and whip around 1? I wouldnt and you could argue that is more valuable than the 100-35-120-15-.290 from Arod or Braun...
Bleachergm.blogspot.com
Captain Furtah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:28 pm

due to my inability to properly work the ESPN live draft, I accidentally took Manny Ramirez with the second overall pick (after 4 keepers were selected). the fellows in my league were nice enough to let Jose Reyes (the player I wanted) slide to my second rd pick. still had to keep manny, though, who I have no interest in.

side note: manny has the day off today.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby coma » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:25 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:due to my inability to properly work the ESPN live draft, I accidentally took Manny Ramirez with the second overall pick (after 4 keepers were selected). the fellows in my league were nice enough to let Jose Reyes (the player I wanted) slide to my second rd pick. still had to keep manny, though, who I have no interest in.

You got some legit league-mates there! That's awesome. How was Manny ranked so high or whatever in the 1st place?
coma
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:21 am

coma wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:due to my inability to properly work the ESPN live draft, I accidentally took Manny Ramirez with the second overall pick (after 4 keepers were selected). the fellows in my league were nice enough to let Jose Reyes (the player I wanted) slide to my second rd pick. still had to keep manny, though, who I have no interest in.

You got some legit league-mates there! That's awesome. How was Manny ranked so high or whatever in the 1st place?

I was fiddling around with putting players in my "que".. Manny was on the list of players I was looking to take with my 3rd rd pick.. I accidentally double clicked when I was moving him and *boom* "You have selected Manny Ramirez" 8-o NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers