Three time defending champ, can I make it 4 in a row???????? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Three time defending champ, can I make it 4 in a row????????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Three time defending champ, can I make it 4 in a row????????

Postby hpham45 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:57 pm

I picked last in a 10 team H2H league. I think its a conspiracy to place me back there but who cares. I think my team is badass although the only regret I made was taking Gallardo ahead of Santana and Carpenter. As soon as I clicked submit I regretted it.

Power is there, don't care for speed. I think my pitching has some sleepers. As long as my pitching is competitive I think I will be a force to reckon with.

10 YAHOO TEAM H2H NON-KEEPER ROSTER

C: Mauer
1B: Tex
2B: Dan Ugly
3B: Sandoval
SS: Jeter
OF: Lind, Markakis, Hamilton
Util: Quentin, Pierre

SP: Gallardo, Kershaw, Oswalt, Marcum, Porcello, Buchholz, Strasburg, Cueto, Sanchez

RP: Bailey, Dotel, Qualls, Frasor
hpham45
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Three time defending champ, can I make it 4 in a row????????

Postby WTH » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:06 pm

If you won the last 3 years....and your team is not only badass, but also a force to be reckon with....do you really need advice? Or did you just come here to look for praise? lol
WTH
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hpham45 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:10 pm

LoL. No I always come here to seek advice and give as well. This year is a lil harder because the owners in my league are gettings smarter. =)
hpham45
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dave8603 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:54 pm

It's tough to analyze the team without the categories but I'll assume standard 5x5.

Your hitting is very good with a couple of question marks - namely, Quentin and Hamilton. If either one of them pans out then you're in great shape and you're still in very good shape without either. If this is a 5x5 league, you might have some trouble with SBs and I'm not sure why you say you don't care for speed. Pierre does have the ability to steal 50 bases, though, so it might not even be a problem. Also, you're utility players are both outfielders and you don't seem to have too much flexibility. Maybe you could look into trading for Gordon Beckham who I think will have a great year and would give you 2 positions (2nd and 3rd).

Your pitching is also good, but more question marks and a little weaker than your hitting. You lack that true ace to carry your staff but Gallardo, Marcum, Kershaw, or even Oswalt if he stays healthy can emerge to be that ace. I love carrying 3 or 4 closers and stealing the saves category. Keep an eye on Frasor though - I have a feeling he might have a tough go of it.

If you're looking to improve and increase depth, you could look to trade Mauer or maybe Tex. That might sound like blasphemy but both could probably net you a great pitcher and more (especially Mauer). Even though Mauer is clearly the best player at the most shallow position (and even one of the top players in baseball overall), if you pick up an average catcher (a Molina, Doumit, etc.) you could stay competitive at that position and allocate your resources to other categories/positions. Just a thought. Good luck!

Check out mine if you have time:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=406299
Dave8603
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Irish Drunk » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:19 pm

The biggest weakness I see is in the saves category. Frasor is not a true closer (and already blew one today), Qualls is insconsistent and Dotel is an injury risk. I like your SP staff especially if Oswalt rebounds. Porcello could be a nice breakout this season.
Hitting wise your weakest link is at 2B but he does have power. Quentin and Hamilton need to stay healthy for you to compete. Don't expect the same #'s from Mauer this season but Tex is a monster. For a guy that doesn't care for speed you have some thieves on your squad - Pierre, Markakis and Jeter.

Lind and Mauer were huge breakouts last season, don't know if I see anyone on your hitters that qualify for that title this season. I think you'll be in tough to make it a 4 peat but I'd have to see the other teams.
Irish Drunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 160)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team