Strategy when starting pitchers face each other - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy when starting pitchers face each other

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy when starting pitchers face each other

Postby Balingh12 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:56 am

Do you employ any sort of strategy when you have two solid starting pitchers facing each other? For instance, today I have Gallardo facing Ubaldo Jimenez. What do you do when you have two fairly even starters facing each other? Start both and assume you get a win out of one? Or try and pick the winner as not to waste the innings for a non-decision/loss from one of your outings. This early in the season Im starting both.
Balingh12
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Strategy when starting pitchers face each other

Postby fiz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:07 am

Bottom line - Start your best guys. Wins are really difficult to predict. They could both pitch incredible games and neither could get the win. Or the bullpen could blow it. I think you have to start both and just hope that one pitches a complete game with 1 run, and the other a complete game with 0 runs. ;-D
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby j24jags » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:22 am

fiz wrote:Bottom line - Start your best guys. Wins are really difficult to predict. They could both pitch incredible games and neither could get the win. Or the bullpen could blow it. I think you have to start both and just hope that one pitches a complete game with 1 run, and the other a complete game with 0 runs. ;-D

;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ayebatter » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:32 am

Play both and hope for 2 complete games in a 1-0 final. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1280)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:25 pm

Balingh12 wrote:Do you employ any sort of strategy when you have two solid starting pitchers facing each other? For instance, today I have Gallardo facing Ubaldo Jimenez. What do you do when you have two fairly even starters facing each other? Start both and assume you get a win out of one? Or try and pick the winner as not to waste the innings for a non-decision/loss from one of your outings. This early in the season Im starting both.

Those guys are each top 15ish SPs. You start both of them every time they take the mound outside of some horrible matchup or if they just so happen to struggle this year.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby thejusman1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:39 pm

Always play your best line-up, no matter what. Whether it is two starters on your team facing each other, or a starter against one of your batters, just always play your best line-up. It goes without saying, but they don't know they're on the same fantasy team.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers