'Free' Fantasy Baseball and Customer Expectations - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

'Free' Fantasy Baseball and Customer Expectations

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 'Free' Fantasy Baseball and Customer Expectations

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:36 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:b) A sense that when I create a league on a fantasy site, visit several times daily (viewing all those ads) I'm doing more for that company by visiting than they're doing for me for hosting my league.

You aren't doing anything for the site unless you actually click on any ads. That's the only way they collect revenue, so it's your choice as to whether or not you are actually doing anything for them.

that is not true. many sites sell a certain # of impressions, meaning # of times an ad banner is loaded to a visitor.

and this is how the cafe operates also probably.

Bingo. Most of their ads are run on a CPM basis (or cost per every thousand views). Cost-per-click ads are somewhat archaic now because of the incidences and chances of click fraud.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:40 pm

exactly, that's why i agree with oneloveboomer.
even though it's free, we generate $ by creating impressions of ads on the website.

just like the fact that the cafe is free for us, but we generate money for them when ads load.
therefore, if there is an issue or problem with the website, they are always open to hearing it from us about it.
there's a whole section of the forums here dedicated to that.

i don't agree with the "find another service, it's free" people for the most part, although i do find it funny to complain about stat tracker when there's only 1 game on.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby KCollins1304 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:44 pm

every time you reload stat tracker, the Yahoo CEO's go on a vacation to Aruba.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:48 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:every time you reload stat tracker, the Yahoo CEO's go on a vacation to Aruba.

Indeed, they're $0.001 closer to that trip with every view.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:50 pm

By the way, this is just stuff I was thinking. I've been a big fan of Yahoo's stuff for a while (this is the only year I haven't bought stattracker, obviously).
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mortician » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:02 am

The way I see it is its free to us. Even though they are getting paid by advertisers for people viewing their site, its not us who is paying the Ad money. We are only beneficiaries of the existence of the site. If we were Advertisers on a site that wasn't working properly, I could understand the validity of them complaining about technical issues
Mortician
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:50 am

Mortician wrote:The way I see it is its free to us. Even though they are getting paid by advertisers for people viewing their site, its not us who is paying the Ad money. We are only beneficiaries of the existence of the site. If we were Advertisers on a site that wasn't working properly, I could understand the validity of them complaining about technical issues

I didn't realize pay-per-click was out of style now as it's been a while since I've dabbled in SEO stuff. Anyways, I agree with this viewpoint and this was my main point.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:04 am

bigh0rt wrote:BUT I WANT A GOLDEN GOOSE NOWWWWWWW!!!!
so says the mets fan
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:09 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:You aren't doing anything for the site unless you actually click on any ads. That's the only way they collect revenue, so it's your choice as to whether or not you are actually doing anything for them.

that is not true. many sites sell a certain # of impressions, meaning # of times an ad banner is loaded to a visitor.

and this is how the cafe operates also probably.

Bingo. Most of their ads are run on a CPM basis (or cost per every thousand views). Cost-per-click ads are somewhat archaic now because of the incidences and chances of click fraud.

Yep, the vast majority of websites get paid for ads shown, not for clicks.

As to the original question, I expect it to work, regardless of what I pay (if anything). So in this case, when Yahoo advertises free fantasy leagues and free live scoring, then it should work, no excuses. Granted, I never turned on Stattracker tonight, as there was only one game on and I'm playing 2 roto leagues this year, so I didn't/don't think it was a big deal really, at least it wasn't for me since I didn't even open it. Now if it isn't working on Monday, I can't blame anyone for complaining.

Free isn't "get what you pay for" when there is competition for your business, and there is competition in the internet world for clicks. If someone offered to rebuild your driveway for free and they did a terrible job, well, there aren't several companies willing to rebuild your driveway for free, probably isn't even two willing to do it, so you get what you paid for. In this case, multiple companies are providing the exact same service at the exact same price (free), so they should be able to deliver what they advertise, with no excuses.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers