'Free' Fantasy Baseball and Customer Expectations - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

'Free' Fantasy Baseball and Customer Expectations

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

'Free' Fantasy Baseball and Customer Expectations

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:47 pm

I don't know if I'm alone on this, or if there others thinking the same, so I'll bring it up.

There has often been--and I've been part to this--thinking that if you're receiving a free (fantasy baseball) service you should behave gracefully and not expect too too much, while if you're paying for the service you should have every right to stand up and complain about any technical difficulties or service problems.

At a time where there is some pretty active competition between fantasy baseball service providers (all with strengths and weaknesses, but all at least somewhat worthwhile), I'm starting to step back from this thinking. Particularly because of the advertisements we view on their websites and the revenue they receive, (free) fantasy baseball sites should act as though we are paying customers and we should assume this role. Because if we're not viewing their ads, we're viewing their competitions' ads.

Yes / no?
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 'Free' Fantasy Baseball and Customer Expectations

Postby WickedSmaat » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:51 pm

Are any of these free services not listening to their customer base?
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:57 pm

WickedSmaat wrote:Are any of these free services not listening to their customer base?

You're right -- they seem to do a really good job with gearing their services to what we want (tons of options, live scoring, etc).

I'm mostly responding to:
a) "Quit complaining, it's free" type comments from many directions.
b) A sense that when I create a league on a fantasy site, visit several times daily (viewing all those ads) I'm doing more for that company by visiting than they're doing for me for hosting my league.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:01 pm

J35J wrote:As long as at the end of the week/season all the scores are up to date and correct....I'm happy.

Seriously. End of thread. This is all that should matter.

Now, go out to dinner tonight and complain because the waiter put too much ice in your glass.

Edit: This is directed much less at Boomer who at least has a rational viewpoint as it is the idiots in the other thread who just want to whine about little things.
Last edited by AquaMan2342 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:03 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:b) A sense that when I create a league on a fantasy site, visit several times daily (viewing all those ads) I'm doing more for that company by visiting than they're doing for me for hosting my league.

You aren't doing anything for the site unless you actually click on any ads. That's the only way they collect revenue, so it's your choice as to whether or not you are actually doing anything for them.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby WickedSmaat » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:16 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
WickedSmaat wrote:Are any of these free services not listening to their customer base?

You're right -- they seem to do a really good job with gearing their services to what we want (tons of options, live scoring, etc).

I'm mostly responding to:
a) "Quit complaining, it's free" type comments from many directions.
b) A sense that when I create a league on a fantasy site, visit several times daily (viewing all those ads) I'm doing more for that company by visiting than they're doing for me for hosting my league.

I think when it comes to me, where I would be in the camp of the quit complaining group, but I believe it's a little more than just saying it's free get over it. When it's said like that I think it should be rephrased, because I think it's unreasonable to expect things to always run 100% smooth.

When running testing, a majority of time these things go over fine and are ready to launch. I'd say they maybe generally run under 1,000 or so testers, and sometimes just run in house. Maybe a beta has been released in some cases, but a majority of time you just can't find every problem bug within those small tests. When it gets released to the 100s of thousands of users, there's bound to be something found that's broken. WE are the testers of the product and I assume we should be the ones that report the issues and the providers themselves will find a way to fix it without trying to break the rest of the system. The more I think about it, the phrase "Quit complaining, it's free" should be done away with, but moved more in the direction of helping make the service better through your experiences with it. Seriously think about this, I would bet to say that all or almost all of the changes to any of the services we've used have been from users that have experienced and used their product and have an idea of how it could be done better. On the other hand I think the "I'm using this, fix it, I deserve better" mantra is more destructive than constructive. It could be handled better.
WickedSmaat
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby West » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:24 pm

I feel like when people come on here and say "This doesn't work, can Yahoo fix it?" or "My player hasn't been placed on the DL list/Jason Heyward isn't on the FA list, why is that?", or "It would make CBS/ESPN/Yahoo better if we had this option", they get a much better response and things actually may get changed.

When they come on and bitch because stat tracker doesn't work for one day, one game, on the first day of the season, I want to say that these people are pretty ignorant. This is where those "don't complain because it's free" comments come from.
Obviously I am in that camp. But it's more of a situation where:
A. Who f-ing cares. It's 1 game.
B. It has absolutely zero effect on anything this season.
C. I get sick of hearing people whine about something they're lucky to have in the first place.

Back in the day, people had to calculate statistics by hand every week from USA today and then mail the results to the league competitors. Just have a little perspective and don't act like the world owes you something. It really disgusts me. And it's not like I'm some 50 year old guy trying to tell all you young people how it used to be, I'm 24 years old. I just think people should get over it and enjoy this great game that we get to watch and play every day.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:25 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
OneLoveBoomer wrote:b) A sense that when I create a league on a fantasy site, visit several times daily (viewing all those ads) I'm doing more for that company by visiting than they're doing for me for hosting my league.

You aren't doing anything for the site unless you actually click on any ads. That's the only way they collect revenue, so it's your choice as to whether or not you are actually doing anything for them.

that is not true. many sites sell a certain # of impressions, meaning # of times an ad banner is loaded to a visitor.

and this is how the cafe operates also probably.
Last edited by BitterDodgerFan on Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:28 pm

West wrote:Back in the day, people had to calculate statistics by hand every week from USA today and then mail the results to the league competitors. Just have a little perspective and don't act like the world owes you something. It really disgusts me. And it's not like I'm some 50 year old guy trying to tell all you young people how it used to be, I'm 24 years old. I just think people should get over it and enjoy this great game that we get to watch and play every day.

BUT I WANT A GOLDEN GOOSE NOWWWWWWW!!!!
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:29 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:You aren't doing anything for the site unless you actually click on any ads. That's the only way they collect revenue, so it's your choice as to whether or not you are actually doing anything for them.

Is that true though? Obviously it's great if people click on ads for the company, but I imagine they get paid on the amount of page views somehow (guessing). If Pepsi has an ad, for instance, even if I don't click the ad I'm still viewing the marketing message etc. etc. But I don't know how the $$ works officially.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers