Who should I leave off, move up, or move down on Yahoo's.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who should I leave off, move up, or move down on Yahoo's....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jwhands » Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:19 pm

Move Wakefield down too. Also Steve Finley is kinda high. Bring up Beckett and Prior. They are waaaaaaaaaaay too low.
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:15 am

[quote

These are the 1st 50 listed on Yahoo. I want to assume that most managers will stay the same for the 1st 5 rounds. I think most will.(I know everyone in the league) My 1st 6 rounds I get the 7th, 14th, 27th, 34th, 47th, and 54th picks. My current picks are in bold. I know I could end up being off by one or two but If I move someone up here and there I could land them. Here are the 54:

1. Rodriguez, Alex (SS-Tex)
2. Guerrero, Vladimir (RF-Mon)
3. Johnson, Randy (SP-Ari)
4. Bonds, Barry (LF-SF)
5. Soriano, Alfonso (2B-NYY)
6. Schilling, Curt (SP-Ari)
7. Ordonez, Magglio (RF-CWS)
8. Sosa, Sammy (RF-ChC)
9. Beltran, Carlos (CF-KC)
10. Giambi, Jason (1B, DH-NYY)
11. Berkman, Lance (CF, LF-Hou)
12. Martinez, Pedro (SP-Bos)
13. Green, Shawn (RF-LA)
14. Pujols, Albert (LF, 3B, 1B-StL)
15. Thome, Jim (1B, DH-Phi)
16. Helton, Todd (1B-Col)
17. Piazza, Mike (C-NYM)
18. Abreu, Bobby (RF, CF-Phi)
19. Tejada, Miguel (SS-Oak)
20. Garciaparra, Nomar (SS-Bos)
21. Jeter, Derek (SS-NYY)
22. Giles, Brian (LF-Pit)
23. Zito, Barry (SP-Oak)
24. Gagne, Eric (RP-LA)
25. Walker, Larry (RF-Col)
26. Oswalt, Roy (SP-Hou)
27. Nen, Robb (RP-SF)
28. Kent, Jeff (2B-Hou)
29. Suzuki, Ichiro (RF-Sea)
30. Anderson, Garret (LF-Ana)
31. Jones, Chipper (LF-Atl)
32. Ramirez, Manny (LF, DH-Bos)
33. Lowe, Derek (SP-Bos)
34. Palmeiro, Rafael (1B, DH-Tex)
35. Percival, Troy (RP-Ana)
36. Smoltz, John (RP-Atl)
37. Bagwell, Jeff (1B-Hou)
38. Wagner, Billy (RP-Hou)
39. Mulder, Mark (SP-Oak)
40. Williams, Bernie (CF-NYY)
41. Hunter, Torii (CF-Min)
42. Boone, Bret (2B-Sea)
43. Koch, Billy (RP-CWS)
44. Mussina, Mike (SP-NYY)
45. Sasaki, Kazuhiro (RP-Sea)
46. Chavez, Eric (3B-Oak)
47. Gonzalez, Luis (LF-Ari)
48. Floyd, Cliff (RF, LF, DH-NYM)
49. Klesko, Ryan (1B, RF-SD)
50. Durham, Ray (2B, DH-SF)
51. Damon, Johnny (CF-Bos)
52. Colon, Bartolo (SP-CWS)
53. Cameron, Mike (CF-Sea)
54. Morris, Matt (SP-StL)

What do you all think?
Thanks for the help.[/quote]

How did Yahoo get these rankings? Beltrans not the 9th best. He earned $34, the same as Giles whos ranked 22nd? Does Yahoo score weird, or is this some preseason poll ranking?
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:17 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I would take Pujols if he were still available. His flexablity leaves you room to manoever. I know that Drew is also injured and injury prone. I think that Paul Byrd, Padilla, Sasaki should be biggio type busts this year. I would take them off the list, or at least move them way down.
Hank

Why will Padilla be a bust? And Sasaki, who was the fastest to 100 saves in history? Kaz had surgery, but hes had the exact same surgery 2 times before.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Ike » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:22 am

There are too many personnel problems with the Yahoo default listings to even try to mention them individually. Heck, though he's ranked last, Albert Bell is still on the list. 'Nuff said. :-D

Let me make some general observations though. If you want to do well in a league, even if the others managers are casual (and I wouldn't be so fast to assume they all are), if for nothing but pride and learning I'd at least do the following:

1. Do some preparatory work. At a minimum, for each of the 9 basic positions, count the number in your league's format (eg, 5 OF), multiply by the number of managers (7 in this case), and make a list of *at least* that many players, individually ranked by you, for that position. Really, you should add in more players by looking at mixed positions (CI, MI, Utility and such), and also your reserve (bench) slots allowed, and add that into your equation. Eg, if you have 5 OF positions, but also a Utility and 5 bench slots, figure perhaps 6.5 for OF: 1 bench slot in case of OF injuries, and .5 as the likelihood you'll put an OF in the utility slot. So then your list needs, for OF, 6.5 times 7, or 46 players.

2. *Especially* for an autopick draft, rank all the players from all the lists you've made in the order you'd take em. This is easy for the first 10-30 slots... you probably know who you think are the best players in the draft, pure and simple. But after that, you need to look at all your position lists you've made and one by one choose the best from all those lists to put next after the first group you did. Otherwise, say you take the simple way out and just rank 10 or 20 players, then do your rankings by position. Whatever position you do first, let's say pitchers or OF, will end up filling your whole reserve (bench). Yeah, this is some work, but if you don't enjoy it, why play fantasy baseball? :)

3. Find a good, current online list of injury news (espn, usatoday, mlb, sportingnews all have them, among others). Read through the entire list, and note down all the players who are going to be out for a good while (perhaps anyone till June or longer? your choice). Then, for all the players on that list, if they show up on your finished Yahoo rankings (as far as your ranking went), either remove them from the list entirely (easiest and certainly for folks out all year) or put them beyond the end of your "indivually reranked" list... especially for those who are really good and may be healthy enough to contribute later in the season.

Not sure what adage to end with... "a word to the wise" or "advice is worth what you pay for it". Anyway, I'd say the above is a *minimum* of what you should do for your draft.

And to everyone else, I may have not post here much so far (only recently learned of the site, and I really like it), but I'm making up in post length for low number of posts. I like to help newbies out, the way I've been helped.

Ike
amore cecidi tamquam blatta in peluim
Ike
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby rowedawgg » Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:52 am

AntLive wrote:
jwhands wrote:I guarantee Pujols will not last until 14th. Somebody is going to rank him in the top 10.

Possibly. I don't think these guys in my league know too much about him. But, I could be wrong. Here are the 7-14 pre-ranked picks.

I agree with what has been said. I've done 3 Yahoo drafts so far, public and private. The latest I have seen him go is #10. I plan on picking him @ #6. If you in any way want him, Id take him at number 7 because the odds are very very slim he will be there at 14. :-/
rowedawgg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:32 am

I did 3 auto-drafts, and have my live draft tomorrow. Here's my suggestions.

Don't expect your opponents aren't going to rank their players. Most of the guys in my league obviously took the time to rank (Including one who ranked his draft to acquire every prominent asain player starting with Ichiro in round 3). I ranked about 200 players and used every one.

Aside from Vlad or maybe Bonds, I wouldn't take an OF at #7. Sosa surely goes next, but I don't see enough of a difference in Magglio and the next 5-10 OF available to take one in the first round. I'd move Manny ahead of Garret Anderson, and Raffy and Bags ahead of Chipper. There's lots of tweaks to make. RP has been a crapshoot in my drafts. Using the same pre-rankings, I've gotten either 0, 2, or 3 quality RP. If you rank Prior below the 6th round, there is a good chance you won't get him. My #1 move is to move AJ Burnett up so you get him in round 8. I've stole him there every auto-draft. He pitched 4 scorless innings and struck out 7 today looking awesome. Move Johann Santana up so you get him around round 12 or so. Colon and Morris are a bit underrated. bump them up a tad. You can grab Aramis Ramirez usually in a late teen round. He is tearing it up and should be like the A-Ram we expected last year. Move Dunn up and you can get him late. Target guys like that, move them up about a dozen spots, and you usually get them. Move down players you don't want.

Tweak those rankings!

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AntLive » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:56 am

Thanks for all the help. Believe it or not, Yahoo drafted on Sat night. I thought they would wait a couple of days. Luckily I moved Pujols up to 7th. I landed Berkman at 14th. I wasn't able to do anything else. I was able to get Kearns, Willamson(He is closing in Cincy, right?), Ramirez(Will he rebound?), Bautista(Really good till his injury last year), Fossum(Decent rookie campaign?) and Hampton(Will he rebound also?) off of the waiver wire. Here is the link to the draft results. My team is The Sandlot Crew.

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com ... &lid=28900

Thanks again. Everyone was a big help.
AntLive
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amnorix » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:19 am

Pretty solid draft. Cameron in the 6th was a mistake, but Oswalt at 28 is nice and Chavez in the 5th is sweet. Your pitching with Oswalt/Millwood/Miller/Wolf is very respectable indeed.

Keep an eye out for FA/waiver wire guys who can give you steals or saves. You're quite light in those areas, but you can overcome that with some diligence and some luck.

Good luck!
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Jury » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:26 am

Who said "Should I pick someone and then get Pujols at 14?"

THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS!! Pujols is top 10 at LEAST.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amnorix » Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:54 pm

THAT'S OUTRAGEOUS!! Pujols is top 10 at LEAST.

Well, he is top ten, but he's not top five, so let's not get *too* carried away here.

The thing of it is that he will slide in some drafts. In the one public league I'm in, he slid down to me at the second to last pick of the SECOND round. Only an eight person league, but still -- the 15th pick overall. #7 is as high as I would take Pujols. If someone valued another player slightly higher, and kept their fingers crossed that Pujols would somehow, someway manage to remain on the board at #14, there's no crime in that.
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers