I'm takin' an early flier on... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'm takin' an early flier on...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: I'm takin' an early flier on...

Postby Smileyman9 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:07 pm

Conor Jackson
Akinori Iwamura
and to a lesser extent as I've dropped him pretty much in all of my leagues now, Corey "I may need eyeglasses during the day and night" Hart
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rayfan4life » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:10 pm

West wrote:
Ratdog90 wrote:S. Rodriguez is going to split time initially with Brignac and if Rodriguez does not perform, he will be relegated to the bench in short order. I just don't see another Zobrist happening.

Anyone remember Chris Shelton?

Yeah I think you're way off base here.

2B is Rodriguez' job to lose unless he slumps (which is a very real possibility), and Joyce will have to win back playing time when he comes back. If Rodriguez mashes like he has shown so far, there is no way they'll keep him out of the lineup. Now, obviously because of the K's and PT issues we have to temper the expectations, but to be honest I don't think you have a grasp of the playing time situation there.

Last response - I SWEAR!!! But this is vintage Maddon. If Rodriguez performs, he's in. Otherwise, platoon at best. I think he's got some leash. Here is a quote:

The left-handed-hitting Brignac started at second base Friday against Mets righty Mike Pelfrey. That might not be the case Tuesday when right-hander Kevin Millwood starts for the Orioles.

The switch-hitting Zobrist will be in right field, and the right-handed-hitting Rodriguez could be at second. Maddon said he is not opposed to playing Rodriguez at second against right-handed pitchers.

"We're going to try and match that up based on the different aspects of their swings," Maddon said. "Just because there is a righty pitching doesn't mean that Reid is going to play second base."
rayfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j24jags » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:16 pm

silverZ wrote:
rayfan4life wrote:One more thing - and its my fault as much as anyone's for responding, but I was kinda hoping this would be a collections of fliers, as opposed to listing one or two guys and debating them back and forth ad nausem. Can't control what others do, just hoped to collect these so we could look back a month or so from now and see how we did.

Lots of set-up guys in at least 2 or 3 teams of mine.

Thronton
Perez (pre wood injury)
Saito
League
Devine

I have Sergio Romo on some of my teams, expecting great ratios ;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bazzy_51 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:02 pm

Smileyman had my big one... Conor Jackson, great contact hitter and nice options with position eligibility at 1B/OF. Don't think a line of .300/80R/15HR/80RBI/5SB is out of order for Conor who is coming into the year healthy and ready to go...

Few Others:
Franklin Gutierrez - don't here much out of him from many people, has a solid, secure hold on the CF duties in Seattle and is a potential 20/20 guy that is way overlooked.
Juan Rivera - A guy that I would draft just a few players behind Franklin, Jaun just like Franklin is widely overlooked. Solid with a safe line of 20/80/80 and potential for 25-30/90/100 if given enough ABs
Francisco Liriano - Showed some great things in ST, and looks to be healing up real well, not as interested in his Ws here as much as his K's and Ratios.
Ryan Dempster - The true #1 on the Cubs roster, imo, isn't given enough credit for what he can do. Solid W/L totals, good K:BB rate, high K rate and sub 4 ERA and has turned into a pitcher that was once a huge injury risk into now sort of an innings eater.
Placido Polanco - Really like him this year more then others, hitting on the top side of a sweet lineup, will carry 2B/3B eligibility very soon. Has a legit shot at .300/100+ Runs and decent amount of RBI, won't hit many HR (may barely get into double digits) and 4-6 SB.
Paul Konerko - SOOO overlooked, he can be a solid 1B for you in the middle rounds and worth much more then that. Consistent year in year out, .275/30/74R/100RBI potential.

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby ABA316 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:06 pm

Colby Rasmus, Kinsler DL move. Got backup at 2b (Zobrist) and SS (Alexei), so just throwing one at the wall here.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chadam189 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:10 pm

Michael Brantley, CLE. He was just announced the starter in RF, I think he can put up a line like Denard Span, maybe trading 10 points in BA for 10 steals. He'll post a .285-.290 BA, and although he won't get double digit HR's, he could push 40 steals given 550+ PA's. Maybe Ichiro without the all-world BA is a better comparison? Either way, definitely a player to watch.
chadam189
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:22 pm

Brandon Wood?
he is going to be getting the chance to play full time at 3B?
last season the Angels gave a guy a chance, playing Kendry Morales at 1B. imagine if Wood can be even close to that.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 91)

Postby slagbot » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:37 pm

i think alex rios is coming back in a big way. .295, 25hr, 35 steals. he's had a big spring and the cell is a good hitter's park.

i hope i'm right, for both my teams' and the sox's sake.
slagbot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thedude » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:58 pm

Two texas starters:

Colby Lewis
CJ Wilson

Young fellas:
Michael Brantley
Kyle Banks

former top prospects:
Howie Kendrick
Clay Buccholz
Phil Hughes
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Ratdog90 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:13 pm

West wrote:Now, obviously because of the K's and PT issues we have to temper the expectations, but to be honest I don't think you have a grasp of the playing time situation there.

When considering PT issues where there is no clear consencious, I like to find any info that the local beat writer has. From the Tampa Tribune:

Brignac will serve as a backup middle infielder and the second baseman against right-handed pitchers, but not against every right-hander, manager Joe Maddon said.

The Rays were looking at Brignac to be part of a second base platoon from the start of camp, but Maddon said Brignac earned the job with an outstanding month.

“He’s the one that’s really surprised me,” Maddon said. “Reid’s improved approach at the plate really has been attractive, really attractive. He’s come a long way in a month. I know he went out to play winter ball. For any young player that wants to dispute the benefits of playing winter ball — why would I never do it — just ask Reid. It’s helped him a lot. All those things matter: the work ethic, the time that he put in, the attitude, the focus.”

Check it out:http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C142/
Ratdog90
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers