I'm takin' an early flier on... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'm takin' an early flier on...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'm takin' an early flier on...

Postby rayfan4life » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:13 pm

Thought it would be good to have one post where everyone can call their shot now. I've seen a few of them scattered, hope this ctches on. Anyway, I just DL'd Kinsler, so I had an open roster spot. I have a slight need for SBs and OF is my weakest position.

I could have chosen from the usual suspects, but I tried to find a young player getting a shot at playing full-time, with a good pedigree. Additionally, I looked for some doing well in ST. While I don't buy into ST stats too much, I do think they can have more of an impact in terms of confidence when it comes to younger players.

My choice - Austin Jackson, CF for the Detroit Tigers.

Projection - .273, 12 HRs, 53 RBIs, 87 Rs, 24 SBs, 515 PA's

All depends on how he starts, but it sounds as if the CF job is his to lose, although Leyland has not endorsed him with the same fervor Cox has backed Heyward:

"It looks like it so far to me," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "But I have to wait until the big lights come on to tell you for sure. But he's talented, very talented."

What I like about him is that he has progressed each season of professional ball. He's had some inflated BABIP numbers (including .390 last season), but he's got the tool set of speed and batting eye to suggest he should have a higher BABIP number than your average hitter.
rayfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I'm takin' an early flier on...

Postby silverZ » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:40 pm

Sean Rodriguez in all 5 of my leagues. Never even seen the guy play before last week. :-o
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Ratdog90 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:43 pm

S. Rodriguez is going to split time initially with Brignac and if Rodriguez does not perform, he will be relegated to the bench in short order. I just don't see another Zobrist happening.

Anyone remember Chris Shelton?
Ratdog90
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rayfan4life » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:44 pm

silverZ wrote:Sean Rodriguez in all 5 of my leagues. Never even seen the guy play before last week. :-o

As Im sure you can tell by my name, Im a die hard Rays fan. Good pick - Maddon loves to be the type of manager that plays guys out of nowhere and give them a chance. He's great for young players because he has patience, ala Zobrist last 2 years. I think he's a good one to choose, and had he beem available in my league, I would have been posting about him instead of Jackson. What kind of numbers are you hoping for (since these are gut-feel fliers, I'm not calling it "projecting" - I'm calling it "hoping")?
rayfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rayfan4life » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:45 pm

Ratdog90 wrote:S. Rodriguez is going to split time initially with Brignac and if Rodriguez does not perform, he will be relegated to the bench in short order. I just don't see another Zobrist happening.

IMO, Brignac is behind Zobrist and Rodriguez at this point in terms of depth chart. I think Joyce will underwhelm in RF, Zobrist will go there (where Maddon would prefer him anyway), and Rodriguez has a legit shot at 2B. If he fails, obviously he loses the opportunity. That's why he's a late round flier.
rayfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby silverZ » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:49 pm

rayfan4life wrote:
silverZ wrote:Sean Rodriguez in all 5 of my leagues. Never even seen the guy play before last week. :-o

As Im sure you can tell by my name, Im a die hard Rays fan. Good pick - Maddon loves to be the type of manager that plays guys out of nowhere and give them a chance. He's great for young players because he has patience, ala Zobrist last 2 years. I think he's a good one to choose, and had he beem available in my league, I would have been posting about him instead of Jackson. What kind of numbers are you hoping for (since these are gut-feel fliers, I'm not calling it "projecting" - I'm calling it "hoping")?

Hoping for good pop and a couple bags... .260 25 HR 10 SB...stranger things have happened.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby rayfan4life » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:50 pm

One more thing - and its my fault as much as anyone's for responding, but I was kinda hoping this would be a collections of fliers, as opposed to listing one or two guys and debating them back and forth ad nausem. Can't control what others do, just hoped to collect these so we could look back a month or so from now and see how we did.
rayfan4life
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DaSh 1s » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:50 pm

Milton Bradley
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby silverZ » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:59 pm

rayfan4life wrote:One more thing - and its my fault as much as anyone's for responding, but I was kinda hoping this would be a collections of fliers, as opposed to listing one or two guys and debating them back and forth ad nausem. Can't control what others do, just hoped to collect these so we could look back a month or so from now and see how we did.

Lots of set-up guys in at least 2 or 3 teams of mine.

Thronton
Perez (pre wood injury)
Saito
League
Devine
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby West » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:02 pm

Ratdog90 wrote:S. Rodriguez is going to split time initially with Brignac and if Rodriguez does not perform, he will be relegated to the bench in short order. I just don't see another Zobrist happening.

Yeah I think you're way off base here.

2B is Rodriguez' job to lose unless he slumps (which is a very real possibility), and Joyce will have to win back playing time when he comes back. If Rodriguez mashes like he has shown so far, there is no way they'll keep him out of the lineup. Now, obviously because of the K's and PT issues we have to temper the expectations, but to be honest I don't think you have a grasp of the playing time situation there.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers