A very risky team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

A very risky team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A very risky team

Postby Fantasy GM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:37 pm

I am in a H2H Points league where we keep 3 players each season. There are daily roster moves, but a transaction limit of 3/week (limits streaming) and a pitching starts limit of 12/week. The scoring system is generally balanced, but power slightly outweighs speed, ace SP's will outscore top closers. Quality starts score more points than wins, holds score points as well (but not as much as saves).

HITTING (one player at each defensive position and one UTL)
C - Brian McCann
1B - Ryan Howard
2B - Chase Utley
3B - Aramis Ramirez
SS - Abstrubal Cabrera
OF - Carlos Quentin/Jason Heyward/Ryan Ludwick
UTL - Vladimir Guerrero
BENCH - Nick Swisher (1B/OF), Alcides Escobar (SS), JD Drew (OF), Carlos Beltran (on DL)

PITCHING (5 SP, 3 RP, 1 P)
SP - CC Sabathia/Josh Johnson/Matt Cain/Mark Buehrle/Ben Sheets
RP - Joakim Soria, Matt Capps, Franklin Morales, Luke Gregerson
P - Justin Duchscherer, Fausto Carmona

TRANSACTIONS AFTER THE DRAFT
-Traded away OF Matt Kemp for 2B Utley
-Traded away SP James Shields and 2B/3B Ian Stewart for OF Jason Heyward
-Acquired UTL Guererro and SP Duchscherer when open roster spots emerged
-Acquired SP Carmona and dropped SP Kevin Correia

GENERAL THOUGHTS
-This team can finish anywhere. While talented enough to make a championship run, Ramirez/Quentin/Drew/Sheets/Duchscherer are at least somewhat injury prone. Beltran already is hurt, but is being stashed for later this season. Heyward and Escobar are rookies. Carmona was great in ST and I took a flier on him.

What do you guys think?
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A very risky team

Postby Irish Drunk » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:48 pm

Interesting league rules and format. Definitely a league that requires a lot of team management. Cool.

First off I will say the flier on Carmona could pay off huge. He was great this spring (yeah I know its only ST...still nice to see). I did the same thing in one of my leagues.
Even though Escobar is a rookie he's my odds on favorite for NL ROY. I'm very high on him. Heyward may be a tad overhyped and overwhelmed. He's still only 20 yrs old. But in a keeper league he's gold!!
The sooner Beltran comes back the better for you. I see your OF needing him because I don't see Vladdy getting enough OF starts to qualify there and I don't trust Drew or Swisher as options in case Heyward struggles.
You must love having the right side of the Phillies INF, I wish I had that luxury!!!
I think Gregerson will pay off. I think Bell will be traded during the year leaving Luke as the SD closer. He's more than capable.

This is a contending team provided a couple things fall into place (Beltran gets 450+ AB's and one of Carmona,Duchscherer or Gregerson pay big dividends)
Irish Drunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 160)

Postby Fantasy GM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:47 pm

-Carmona has upside just about no other FA has; he's been an ace once before. If the reports are true that he fixed his mechanical problems and feels comfortable with Mike Redmond behind the plate, why not take him?
-I got Escobar very late in the draft. Good upside there and will play when/if Cabrera struggles.
-Heyward probably won't be a beast in 2010, but after I traded Kemp, I needed an OF. I made a strong offer for Manny, but the other owner declined. The next best available OF (without giving up the house) was Heyward. If he plays well, he'd be a possible keeper. There will probably be off-season trading this year where anyone dealt would have to be kept; if I like Heyward enough, I can package two other guys for an even bigger upgrade.
-I agree about Beltran. The sooner he returns, the better.
-Gregerson has a very good K/9. As you said, he'll see some saves if Bell is traded.
-Swisher and Drew aren't great and they are backups, but this league includes some OBP. Both these guys can get on base.

My team has plenty of upside, but will we see it?
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bob.Lickss » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:32 pm

I think you have a very good team. Very balanced. Only thing you're lacking on offense is steals, but that's not that important. You do have a few hit or miss players, but I think most of em will come through. I probably wouldn't make any major moves, as you have a good team.
Bob.Lickss
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team