First time Fantasy Baseball, is my team any good? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

First time Fantasy Baseball, is my team any good?

First time Fantasy Baseball, is my team any good?

Postby NHnoob » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:22 am

So, a bunch of my friends were doing fantasy baseball this year, and I decided to give it a shot. I've always enjoyed baseball, but I have to say I've never followed it very closely. This is all very new to me. I've been reading up as much as I can, particularly before we did our draft, but with the first week starting tomorrow, I was wondering if I could get some advice about my team. Any gaping holes that I don't notice, anybody I should ditch in favor of somebody from the waiver list, etc. It's a H2H Yahoo league, with 12 teams.

C: Jorge Posada
1B: Justin Morneau
2B: Aaron Hill
3B: Alex Rodriguez
SS: Jose Reyes
OF: Andre Ethier
OF: Alex Rios
OF: Raul Ibanez
Util: Vladimir Guerrero
BN: Maicer Izturis (2B,SS)
BN: Mark DeRosa (1B,3B,OF)
BN: Alberto Collaspo (2B,3B)
BN: Kelly Shoppach (C)

SP: Justin Verlander
SP: John Lackey
SP: Cliff Lee
SP: Hiroki Kuroda
SP: Wandy Rodriguez
RP: Mike Adams
RP: David Aardsma
RP: Angel Guzman
RP: Kenshin Kawakami
RP: Franklin Morales

I'm particularly worried about my relief pitchers. I actually didn't know how important the role was until a day or so ago, so during the draft I waited a pretty long time before snagging people for it, and didn't pay too much attention even then. I'm also nervous about Reyes. Is Maicer Izturis a decent backup for him, or should I get somebody else?

I've always wanted to get into this side of the sport, the statistics and what not, and finally have the chance. Trying to throw together enough knowledge ASAP. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
NHnoob
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: First time Fantasy Baseball, is my team any good?

Postby Fenris-77 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:49 pm

Does your league have DL slots?

I also think you're probably a little short on starting pitching (never mind when you look at injuries too). Could you take a look at your waiver wire and see who's available? In a 12 teamer there's bound to be some decent value. The usual suspects for me to ask about are Kevin Slowey, Mat Latos, Ian Kennedy, and Brian Matusz, but it could be anyone. If you're not sure where to look beyond that list just filter the available players first for pitchers and then rank by percent owned and shoot off, say, the top 10 or 15 names there. Then we'll have something to work with.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby NHnoob » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:28 pm

Thanks for responding! It looks like there are DL spots, which I didn't realize, and I'm still trying to figure out how to work that.

Here's what the available starting pitchers look like, sorted by %owned:

1: David Price
2: Derek Lowe
3: Ted Lilly
4: Johnny Cueto
5: Scott Feldman
6: Bronson Arroyo
7: Andy Pettitte
8: Daisuke Matsuzaka
9: Ryan Rowland-Smith
10: Brian Matusz
11: Joe Saunders
12: Aroldis Chapman
13: Joe Blanton
14: Joba Chamberlain
15: Nick Blackburn
NHnoob
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:38 am

DL slots are easy. You're only allowed to place players who are listed in Yahoo as on the DL in those slots (players on the DL are identified by a big red 'DL' next to their name). It's essentially free roster slots for injured players. The trick is that you can't add a DL'd player from the WW unless you have a free active or bench roster slot, not a DL slot, so sometimes you need to drop a healthy player to add a DL guy, move him to your DL, and add another healthy player after he's moved. It's generally good policy to fill all the DL slots you can.

As I thought, there's some decent talent on the wire. Angel Guzman is currently on the DL, so that's one slot freed up once you move him down, a slot I'd fill with David Price. I'd probably drop Guzman if he weren't DL'd, but this buys you some time.

Provided you have more than one DL slot, I'd suggest you drop Shoppach and add Lilly, with Lilly immediately moving to the DL. Once Lilly is moved to the DL, you should repeat the WW process I outlined above, except for hitters, and replace Shoppach with the best WW option (and I'm sure there are better options). Feel free to list the top 10 or 15 if you want some advice about whom to add.

On the reliver side I don't think Guerrier will be a lot of help just yet, so sit tight. Just as an aside, what do the active slots for Ps look like in your league? Is it all straight P slots, or is broken up into SP and RP?
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NHnoob » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:27 am

Broken up into SP and RP. I added Lilly and Price, but it feels like I'm getting a bit heavy on SPs.

The available batters to replace Shoppach (Who I originally took since somebody told me he was a sleeper, and I was worried Posada would start on the DL.) are, in order of %owned:

1: Casey Blake (3B)
2: Erick Aybar (SS)
3: Orlando Cabrera (SS)
4: Paul Konerko (1B)
5: Cody Ross (OF)
6: Felipe Lopez (2B)
7: Mike Cameron (OF)
8: David DeJesus (OF)
9: Jeff Francoeur (OF)
10: Marlon Byrd (OF)

Some of the available catchers specifically are Miguel Olivo, Ivan Rodriguez, Rod Barajas, and John Baker.
NHnoob
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Fenris-77 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:42 pm

NHnoob wrote:Broken up into SP and RP. I added Lilly and Price, but it feels like I'm getting a bit heavy on SPs.
I wouldn't worry, for HtH you want a balanced bench unless you've decided to punt a category. You could, for example, just give up on saves and try to add some SPs with RP eligibility like Marcum, Hughes, and Masterson. Anyway, the point is to be able to stream in as many starts as possible - for which you needed that extra SP. You'll have some decisions to make once Lilly comes off the DL, btu for now he's just an insurance policy.

NHnoob wrote:The available batters to replace Shoppach (Who I originally took since somebody told me he was a sleeper, and I was worried Posada would start on the DL.) are, in order of %owned:

1: Casey Blake (3B)
2: Erick Aybar (SS)
3: Orlando Cabrera (SS)
4: Paul Konerko (1B)
5: Cody Ross (OF)
6: Felipe Lopez (2B)
7: Mike Cameron (OF)
8: David DeJesus (OF)
9: Jeff Francoeur (OF)
10: Marlon Byrd (OF)

Some of the available catchers specifically are Miguel Olivo, Ivan Rodriguez, Rod Barajas, and John Baker.
I'd probably add Ross to start, but the main thing, IMO, is that you need another OF guy there more (or at least as much) as you do a catcher, at least when the OF is better than the C anyway. It's HtH though, so feel free to stream in whomever's hot, especially since you have such great positional coverage from your other three bench slots.

Also, feel more than free to hold on to Shoppach for while to see if he busts out (and if the WW adds don't appeal). This is HtH, so you're in no hurry to hit a home run in the first week. ;-D
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Beginner's Forum